R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Yokomo Part Search

Hey everyone--newbie here.

I have an original Yokomo MR4-TC SD CM back from 2004/05 that was a drift special car and I wanted to make it a touring. I changed the tires and it ran pretty nicely on the track.

I've been searching around for hop up parts for it, but since it's been out of the market for so long and Yokomo is no longer selling parts themselves, it's been difficult.

Anyone here have any parts for it or know of a place that might have them for sale?
nyk247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

yes! as an avid yokomo enthusiast as well, i also race the old SD from 2004/2005 every week! I have no trouble getting parts in the united states
from driftspeed.com, they have every single Yokomo part in stock, even hop ups. If for some reason there is a particular part your looking for they dont carry, email Katsumi directly and he will special order it from Yokomo Japan. I order from him every month and I have no problem making special order.

Also can order parts from http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.com/
The best hopup you can put on your car right now for touring racing:

Yokomo part # D-045
aluminum body spool with steel cups, very nice. Best hopup ive
ever done.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+1 for driftspeed. since yokomo doesn't have us distribution anymore you are gonna have to rely on driftspeed or order from overseas.
platypus_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Depending on the class you run and the grip available at the track, a spool might not be such a blessing. I have run one in a recent race and gave me no end of trouble, including snapping a driveshaft. I run 17.5 boosted, so quite a fair bit of power. My conclusion is that you really need CVDs with these cars if you want to run a spool, and I am not sure any available CVD will fit. Handling was very good, but the car doesn't feel like it is made for this kind of power. It torque steers a bit on takeoff, so be careful and smooth.

Parts are easy to find on ebay, and my suggestion is you get some spare suspension hingepins, otherwise you're going to stand by a lot.

The alu diff joints used in the BD5 fit and are much better in high power applications than the original plastic ones. The kit driveshafts whilst good enough for brushed/drifting are not up to Xray spring steel standards. My driveshaft actually pulled the pin out of the axle by shearing the metal around it. Not funny. The axle also only has two holes for the pin, so can't be reused. Most other axles (Tamiya, Kawada, Xray, etc.) have four holes, so can be reused, even though their metal is hard steel so it doesn't break that way (I have never seen one broken, they usually destroy the dogbone, or the pin backs out).

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I liked the spool in my MR4TC if I was on a track with a lot of heavy braking. Took it out for track with a little more flow. The thing with a spool is what Niznai said, you do put some stress on the drivetrain. Clipping a pipe with the front end can do some damage.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Depending on the class you run and the grip available at the track, a spool might not be such a blessing. I have run one in a recent race and gave me no end of trouble, including snapping a driveshaft. I run 17.5 boosted, so quite a fair bit of power. My conclusion is that you really need CVDs with these cars if you want to run a spool, and I am not sure any available CVD will fit. Handling was very good, but the car doesn't feel like it is made for this kind of power. It torque steers a bit on takeoff, so be careful and smooth.

Parts are easy to find on ebay, and my suggestion is you get some spare suspension hingepins, otherwise you're going to stand by a lot.

The alu diff joints used in the BD5 fit and are much better in high power applications than the original plastic ones. The kit driveshafts whilst good enough for brushed/drifting are not up to Xray spring steel standards. My driveshaft actually pulled the pin out of the axle by shearing the metal around it. Not funny. The axle also only has two holes for the pin, so can't be reused. Most other axles (Tamiya, Kawada, Xray, etc.) have four holes, so can be reused, even though their metal is hard steel so it doesn't break that way (I have never seen one broken, they usually destroy the dogbone, or the pin backs out).
There is no way the BD5 outdrives fit on the old SD ring gear.