R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-12-2001, 07:18 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Reverse ESC for Newbie?

I'm new to this hobby... don't have a lot of time to practice, but find when I do that I get stuck on the track alot, and need to walk out and retrieve my car. If I had an ESC with reverse, I think I could get more practice time in, since I could back out of where I'm stuck and drive away.... make sense? I know you can't use an ESC with reverse for racing... are there ESCs that allow you to disable reverse? If so, which ones should I be looking at and how much $$$ will I need to hide from my wife?
Thanks!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 07:28 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

Just remember not to install diode for brake....
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 07:33 PM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to AE_Racer

well, I had a Novak Reactor and used it a while with no problems, but i've never had probs with Novak speedos..the Super Rooster i've heard is also good...
AE_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 07:34 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

from rcca apr 2001 issue - reversing esc guide:
futaba mc230cr ($55), mc330cr ($75)
keyence ao7rz ($140), ao7 ($120)
novak super rooster ($ 130), rooster ($80), reactor ($95)
LRP F1 pro reverse ($ 120), F1 super reverse ($95), F1 reverse ($70), Runner ($60)

it is still better to get high end forward/brake only esc's for racing because they have higher specs than top of the line reversing esc's. but if you must have reverse and you want to race, go for the high end reversing esc's with no motor limit (LRP F1 pro reverse, Novak super rooster, keyence a07rz and a07r)
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 07:34 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to AE_Racer

forgot to add, im positive both of those have reverse disable option..
AE_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 08:00 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

oh, yeah, i listed only esc's with reverse disable. also, look for a reversing esc with proportional brake, so that your rc wont reverse at once without slowing down first. all of the esc's ive listed have this feature.
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 11:10 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Many thanks - sounds like a choice between top end ESC with reverse and disable function or a moderately priced ESC with reverse that I can switch out to a forward/brake only unit for racing. I just love a hobby that gives you these kinds of options... so many ways to spend your dough!

Thanks.....
Old 09-13-2001, 12:49 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I have the A07-RZ and it is great but be warned if you want an esc with a strong brake this is not the one your looking for, the brake is very very weak. Other then that is it a bit steep in the price department but it is very very small and is externally adjustable(current limiter and time before reversing) which is a bonus(just turn the dial to what you want and there it is) Also the brake is done by time not preportional brake and then reverse, so it is at 3 seconds it will give 3 seconds of brake then go full boar reverse if you have it fully pinned. Other then that it is rated to 6 cells but I hooked up a 4 cell pack and it seemed to work fine. I like this esc alot but for my next esc I will go for a proper fwd only racing esc. Good luck in your choice.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 09-13-2001 at 12:51 PM.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 03:54 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Thanks, Fatdoggie... something else to consider. Interesting concept... I've located ESCs that allow you to use a stylus to set reverse on or off before you power up, but this timed brake/reverse function is new to me. Sounds tricky... not sure I trust my driving abilities enough yet to go that route.
Old 09-13-2001, 07:40 PM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

It's not hard, but I thought I should just warn you before you go out and buy. You just set the dial anywhere from .5 sec to 3sec to infiniti(no reverse) You should have most of your braking done after 3 seconds anyway. If you have any other Questions or queries on the A07-rz just shoot me a pm or ask here. Also even though I like my keyence I think you can get a novak that is just as good for much less doe. Cheers and good luck.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote