R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-10-2004, 08:15 AM   #16
Suspended

I think it was only used in the G-10 Pro model. I'm almost certain that all of Tekin's previous ESCs (G-12 series, G-9, original G-10) had an internal Schottky diode, but not the fly back circuitry. When the G-10 Pro model was introduced it was the first Tekin speedo to use surface mount transistors. Evidently the efficiency and switching speed of the newer transistors made it possible for something as sophisticated as the fly back circuit to be designed and patented. The other Tekin ESCs do have regenerative braking (alot of ESCs have the same thing), but it was due to the internal diode. From what Team Tekin claims the Schottky diode isn't as effective as the fly back circuit. The G-9 was way ahead of it's time, but I've been told that it's circuitry functioned in a similar way as Novak's Cyclone (which came out later than the Tekin). The G-9 had some type of internal capacitor board that stored unused energy and released it much the same way any other ESC does that uses a power cap. However, Tekin was the first to discover and use that technology to have very high frequency rates (16,000-17,000hz) and kick a** performance.
tmeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:17 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I can only hope that Tekin returns in full force someday, I mean back in the day they had a full lineof sport ESC's that where as good as the otherguys full race versions!! Anyone remember the Speedstar,or F-10?? under $60 and they would handle down to a 10 turn!!! The F-10 was just 1/4" tall and the Speedstar had a footprint just barely larger than a Quantum Competition while Novakand LRP's smallest esc's where almost twice the size of the G-10!!!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #18
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by A-Ko
Was the G9 the 1st Tekin Esc to use this process?
It was not the first by far, not sure when the G9 came out but I remember Tekin back in mid to late 80's. The G9 is still a great speed control. I ran one in my touring car last time to the track. If you can handle an extra .7 oz., it works great. The extra weight was welcome in my car because I had some added to balance it anyways. I do like the G9 power band for touring car (read: midrange up).
I think the G9 has like a 400 amp peak rating. Not sure but, most of the top of lines out there now are 160-170 and below. Correct me if that's not correct, going by memory.

I would expect lower end models also. There is probably 10 of those sold for every 1 high end model.

take care
john
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 06:52 AM   #19
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: G-10 Pro

JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:24 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Tekin's product always last severals generation. I am still using BC112A as my weapon. It still is the best charger I ever seens.
mr4-tc sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:18 PM   #21
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnB
It was not the first by far, not sure when the G9 came out but I remember Tekin back in mid to late 80's. The G9 is still a great speed control. I ran one in my touring car last time to the track. If you can handle an extra .7 oz., it works great. The extra weight was welcome in my car because I had some added to balance it anyways. I do like the G9 power band for touring car (read: midrange up).
I think the G9 has like a 400 amp peak rating. Not sure but, most of the top of lines out there now are 160-170 and below. Correct me if that's not correct, going by memory.

I would expect lower end models also. There is probably 10 of those sold for every 1 high end model.

take care
john
The G9 was released the same time when the 1:10 Onroad Worlds were held at the Revelation Raceway in Ontario/California.
Was 1997 or 1998 I donīt remember exactly but I also bought one of the G9īs there.