Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Parts in Adelaide & Recommendations - Im new to all this

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Arrow Buying Parts in Adelaide & Recommendations - Im new to all this

Hi All,
I would like to know where the best place in Adelaide is to buy equipment for someone like myself wanting to start out in the RC Racing.

Also what would you suggest is the best to start out with nitro or electric. Idealy would like to spend $500 but can give or take $200.

Also which racing is there more of (on-road or off-road)

Please let me know, if you have any advice as well please let me know.

Cheers, Mark
Old 09-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

First off- where is the closest track to you?? Where do you plan to race??

Now go there and watch them race, ask a few questions? What do the fast guys drive? What car does the shop carry alot of spares for?? What classes are available to race in??

For the most part you will get a few answers....

Off-road/dirt oval- most guys will drive a B4, T4, RC10GT, XXX, XXXT, or XXX-NT..... which are all good choices because Associated (B4,T4,GT) and Losi (XXX cars).... As for classes they will all be detrmined by chassis (buggy/truck, gas truck) and powerplant (stock/modified/brushless electric, or nitro)...occasionally they will have a beginners class that only allows for a specific slower motor so that you can learn to drive.....

On-road- gets a little trickier, but not much. For electric most guys will drive a TC3, XXX-S, Pro 4, or X-ray. All parts are readily available for each except for the X-ray at the moment, but that will be changing soon. Agian the classes are determined by chassis (electric or nitro) and the powerplant (agian stock/ modified/brushless electric) and there may also be a spec beginners class too, however sometimes this classis is also limited to a specific chassis.

For Nitro on-road there are several classes 1/10th, 235mm (which is also 1/10th, but the cars are wider,more powerful, look like can-am racers and much more expensive), and 1/8th which is the biggest, most powerful,and most expensive, but also look like can-am cars). For 235 it will cost your entire budget for the chassis and engine and 1/8th your budget will be gone with just the chassis. also sometimes 1/10th nitro will also be subdivided into regular and outlaw classes which are determined by the engine.

For the most part I suggest you stick with electric and if there is a beginners class jump into there,unless it is a chassis specific class then you need to decide if you plan on moving up, because for he most part these chassis' just cannot compete in stock or mod.
For a beginners class associated has ready to run versions of all of it's racecars that will be competive out of the box. Losi also has a RTR XXX-S car.

As for which car, look at the ones that have parts support at your track and then decide which one you want by looking at them taking the advice of other racers and finally which one gives you that special feeling in your pants....LOL
Old 09-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Default any other hop-ups or mods u think i need??

thanks for th advice guys i went to Hobby Habit and bought an electric car (a duratrax evader st off road truck with adjustable slip clutch, 20 turn motor, adjustable ball differential, aluminium oil shocks, a complete ball bearing set, and an ESC W/Reserve) and controller plus at this stage 1 battery (will buy more) and a charge.

have i got all that i need and any other suggestions i might need.

cheers, mark
Old 09-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

If you mean Adelaide, Australia you'd get better results posting in the Australian forum.