R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-08-2004, 05:03 PM   #31
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Entropy
Mini-Z, anything larger scale after that will feel sluggish and become easier to control.
Very true.....Ht in Newark will be opening up thier Mini-z track full time at the new store.Talk about awsome pratice!
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 06:42 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Laps,Lots of fast Laps get a PT print lap times and try to be consinstant as possible. Set goals!!it works
Tony Szep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:15 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Donoman,

I can see Stryker in you when he just started to race. Although he does not have much track time under his belt yet, I can tell that he had grown a lot in racing since he started back in February. The key is, he doesn't care what setup I put on his car, he just drives it the way he thinks he should drive the car. He watch closely lines of racenut123, badboy, Gus and the like. And the best time he does this is when he's turn marshalling where you're really up close to the line of the car you wanted to watch.

He does not know how to setup his own car yet so I'm doing it all for him. Sometimes, I intentionally screw up his setup just so I can beat him during the race. But he can still get something out of a screwed setup. This has worked for him so much that he didn't need to worry about setup. Just drive till you batts die. Like almost everyone said, forget about changing setups first. Stick to one and probably copy one Bakers setup from RC10.com and just move on from there.

See you on the track
DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:45 PM   #34
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Szep
Laps,Lots of fast Laps get a PT print lap times and try to be consinstant as possible. Set goals!!it works

I agreee with him alot of times when I am not on the clock I think " man this thing is cruising" then someone puts a watch on it and I am .3 tenths off. so being on the clock helps alot. you also might want to gauge how fast you are by what the fastest guy in your class is doing for lap times not by what your buddy, who, while is a cool guy is slow. lol
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:32 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

All good input from many local and not-so-local guys...

So, try to take Badboy up on his offer this Friday. I did...And it helped immensely then...And still does now. If not this Friday, then shoot for the next. Badboy goes everywhere...he, he...

Stockton carpet starts in October. That is an excellent track for advancing on the learning curve.

Be a little easier on yourself to keep the fun factor intact (for you).

Oh, did I offer up my services like the others? No prob!

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:40 AM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default spinning off

If I may-I have been thinking the same things as donoman-only I have been driving for 5 or 6 years.

MY practice is very regimented in some ways. I usually know the exact changes I want to make in a practice night and I also improvise as I move along as well.

Also-I pay a lot of attention to driving lines. I sometimes get stuck in a line thats not fast nd it can be hard to maintain rythm while also rtying to readjust bad lines.

Also-I have noticed that some drivers have a gift for this. I do not. This is evidenced by my lack of fastest time of day. I never get that. But I usually can run with ( sometimes beat them-sometimes finish within 4 or 5 secnds of them) many of the guys who do. So I concentrate on coonsistency as well as trying to increase my outright speed. Consistency is key. Way more important than ripping theone fast lap.

And last-I think as mentioned by others-throttle control is one of the fastest ways to drop your lap times. Sometimes a lift on a corner that can be done flat out is fastest. Sometimes finding a line that allows you to run flat out thruough a section is fastest-if not risky!! Somtimes half throtlle lifts is what you need. All that will come-in time if your cognisant of the need to improve in those areas.

I think the #1 and #2 problem drivers have in coming to RC racing is lack of dedication and an unwillingness to learn and listen to others.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:55 AM   #37
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Ray...
Throttle controll?????
If your car is set properly no controll is needed!!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 10:02 AM   #38
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
If your car is set properly no controll is needed!!!!
i dont' think everyone runs a stock 12th scale on carpet.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:03 AM   #39
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

You guys are so lucky to have a "real" track.. Where I race at it's a parking lot track and it's never the same track.I guess my set up skills have gotten better.. But for me it's very hard to practice..no where to practice really.Most of the time you can only make small changes,you dont have alot of time to change your set ups..
Old 09-09-2004, 10:23 AM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxkat
You guys are so lucky to have a "real" track.. Where I race at it's a parking lot track and it's never the same track.I guess my set up skills have gotten better.. But for me it's very hard to practice..no where to practice really.Most of the time you can only make small changes,you dont have alot of time to change your set ups..

I think the idea of MiniZ or Xmod, yada, yada and cones is a great and fun way to get a little wheel time.

I hope the "video game" theory works as I have been playing Toca Race Driver 2 all week.

I have seen some young kids come to RC who were amazingly fast with very little RC experience-but TONS of time on GT3 and other games-soI think the theory is sound. I just dont know if it works as well when you get older.

Last edited by rayhuang; 09-09-2004 at 10:43 AM.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:05 PM   #41
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang

I have seen some young kids come to RC who were amazingly fast with very little RC experience-but TONS of time on GT3 and other games.
I totally agree. My son even wanted me to buy him a transmitter that has rumble pack on it
DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:02 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rdub202

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxkat
my track is a permanent track well kidna i guess but changes liek every week or every other week its an indoor carpet. thats hilarious about your son DRIVEN lol
_|MRC/Team Academy_|_www.modelrec.com|_
rdub202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:14 PM   #43
Tech Addict

Default All those things are great...

but find someone at the track that can help you set up your TC. Get the right tires, and have the setup manuel with you. I put together a manuel from RC mags telling me what does what. It has helped me a lot. There is no sense driving a car that is not setup right. It gets frustrating. Once you found the right setup, start with a lower/slower pinion gear. One that keeps you from NOT pushing it too fast. Once you get your line down start moving a few teeth up. Better to go a little slower without mistakes than to go fast with a lot of errors. Same for the racing, keep it slower. Baby steps. My two cents.
Nightbreed is offline   Reply With Quote