Wiki Posts
Search

SP & GM motor timing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default SP & GM motor timing question

Hi,

The SP motors come with adjustable timing 0 - 10 deg with the middle setting being 5 deg so does that mean my GM with fixed timing has 5 deg ? if not how much timing does it have ? I don't understand how different manufacturers timing work on their motors, is there a standard amount of timing they all have ?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

I do not know how the GM is measured, but I do know how the SP v3 is measured.

First, the endbell marking is WRONG. "Middle" is zero, "0" is -10deg, "+10" is +10deg.

Now, "zero" timing in this case is actually 30degrees mechanical timing, but this is a standard across all the motors as far as I know.

One way of finding zero would be to pull out the sensor cable while the motor is running on a zero-timing profile. If the motor runs slower in sensorless mode, the sensor timing is advanced.

For the SP, I would personally run it in the middle of the slot for timing-advance profiles, and at +10 for zero-timing profiles.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Thankyou.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by digitrc
For the SP, I would personally run it in the middle of the slot for timing-advance profiles, and at +10 for zero-timing profiles.
The norm is to use +10 on the SP V3 motors, as they really come to life at +10. And that is for both boosted and zero-timing.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by digitrc
I do not know how the GM is measured, but I do know how the SP v3 is measured.

First, the endbell marking is WRONG. "Middle" is zero, "0" is -10deg, "+10" is +10deg.

Now, "zero" timing in this case is actually 30degrees mechanical timing, but this is a standard across all the motors as far as I know.

One way of finding zero would be to pull out the sensor cable while the motor is running on a zero-timing profile. If the motor runs slower in sensorless mode, the sensor timing is advanced.

I have run the SP 4,5 with GM 75 speedo in my Top Rebel , and had a massive improvement , by turning the mecanical timing all the way down on the SP and then give it 3-5 degress more in the speedo. Someway the engines run more smooth with less mecanical timing