R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Proper Battery Treatment (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/49587-proper-battery-treatment.html)

Cole Trickle 09-08-2004 06:49 AM

Originally posted by nnick
How often should we equalize?

Every time we use the batteries or once per month or something else?
I currently equalize at the race day just before I charge them!

Nick

This is also what I do.

I got Fukuyama cells, so I use the recommendations at www.fukuyama.com.

seaball 09-08-2004 09:00 AM

hey cole,

yeah, i've got the 16x5v6 too, and have acutually been using it since i found out it wasn't broken.:p it does push the cells very hard, even at 3mv/cell cutoff. they do run very well when charged with the vesc type of charge, and you are correct in saying that it never false peaks.

i did want to note that it has caused my weaker (older) packs to vent. they may have 30 cycles on them, so i really won't say they are truly old, just older than my race stuff. i'm not dissatisfied with it, but there is certainly a price to pay to get everything out of a battery on every cycle. i typically use the millenium to charge, but the eagle/integy charger does put some mad heat into the pack, and i believe the runs are better as a result.

galway 09-08-2004 10:12 AM

I race every week. Usually a pack is only used once, but if I do use it twice I don't discharge it before recharging.

After I get done racing I discharge all packs to 5.4 a pack. On the day of the next race I first discharge all the packs again to 0.9v before charging them at 6.0 amps to 30mv cutoff. Right before I am going to run the pack I then repeak at 6.0v with a 40mv cutoff.

Once a month I will tray all my batteries to 5.4v after they have been run and discharged. I then will tray them to 3.0v just before chargeing them for the next run.

I used to user an LRP sport, and a 18.5 amp bulb discharger whgich worked very well. I recently purchased a Pr-Trak to replace them though. I use a Rayspeed discharge tray. In my opinion Rayspeed and Novak make the only trays worth spending money on.

Chill Will 09-08-2004 10:14 AM

Originally posted by nnick
How often should we equalize?

Every time we use the batteries or once per month or something else?
I currently equalize at the race day just before I charge them!

Nick

I usually race about every weekend so I discharge my batteries down to 5.4 and leave them till the morning of the race. Then I put them on a tray.

Veteq 09-08-2004 01:14 PM

Equalize

Hey Guys

My batteries are usually dead shorted. I don't recommend this to anyone who just wants to play this is strictly for racing only. I charge my batteries at 6 amps with my GFX and after running i discharge all my SMC 35 amp packs at 35 amps to 5.4 volts and then put it on my novak tray in dead short mode for about 35 minutes more after the lights start blinking and then short it. recently I have cycled my packs and the SMC 35's are at 1.185 and 390 secs of run time at 30 amp discharge. I lost roughly 20-30 sec of runtime but i expected that.

Cole Trickle 09-09-2004 12:46 AM

Originally posted by seaball
hey cole,

yeah, i've got the 16x5v6 too, and have acutually been using it since i found out it wasn't broken.:p it does push the cells very hard, even at 3mv/cell cutoff. they do run very well when charged with the vesc type of charge, and you are correct in saying that it never false peaks.

i did want to note that it has caused my weaker (older) packs to vent. they may have 30 cycles on them, so i really won't say they are truly old, just older than my race stuff. i'm not dissatisfied with it, but there is certainly a price to pay to get everything out of a battery on every cycle. i typically use the millenium to charge, but the eagle/integy charger does put some mad heat into the pack, and i believe the runs are better as a result.

Hi Seaball

I had a pack of Sanyo 3000 HV, which is 2 years old by now. Dont know how many cycles, but I would assume it's around 60 +. Whith this particular pack, the CDC cant cut off properly, this pack gets extremely hot. I believe this pack drops off very slow, when it finally peaks. On the other hand, I've never had really good performance with this pack, so it might be due to a damaged pack. Anyway, since it never performed well, it's going to the recyclle bin in a few weeks, when I get my new cells.

By the way, my LHS didnt had the Cadillac, so I bought a Ford GT40 instead.