R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Possibly a stupid question. Can the Tamiya F103-4 be run on asphalt parking lots (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/495766-possibly-stupid-question-can-tamiya-f103-4-run-asphalt-parking-lots.html)

daign 03-24-2011 11:19 AM

Possibly a stupid question. Can the Tamiya F103-4 be run on asphalt parking lots

Or will they get ripped to shreds from being too low.

The Ferrari F104 is calling my name to build it, but I dont think I have anywhere to drive it.

Thanks.

bigben1165 03-24-2011 11:26 AM

most onroad cars run so low that any pebble or piece of debris will interfere with it. they really need to be run on groomed surfaces, free of junk, or carpet. they are run on cement but typically its a groomed surface.

daign 03-24-2011 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by bigben1165 (Post 8854568)
most onroad cars run so low that any pebble or piece of debris will interfere with it. they really need to be run on groomed surfaces, free of junk, or carpet. they are run on cement but typically its a groomed surface.

I've run my TA-05v2 with a 5.5t brushless at the LA zoo parking lot and it held up fine.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I did however crack my rear upright on my cracked up street,. I can't believe the aluminum ones are $60...

I'm just looking for a fun new kit to build. Something I can throw a brushless setup in.

tcb22185 03-24-2011 11:30 AM

YES they can. just max the ride hight out. Easy to do on the f104 Very fun car to run.

charlie_b 03-24-2011 11:54 AM

Yes they can. Back in the day(15 years ago) we ran our F102's on on prepped, dusty no traction compound parking lot races with no issues. The cars and tires now are even better then they were back then. I wouldn't worry about it..just have fun and ask a lot of questions if you have set up issues.:nod:

bigben1165 03-24-2011 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by charlie_b (Post 8854723)
Yes they can. Back in the day(15 years ago) we ran our F102's on on prepped, dusty no traction compound parking lot races with no issues. The cars and tires now are even better then they were back then. I wouldn't worry about it..just have fun and ask a lot of questions if you have set up issues.:nod:

i didnt say that he could NOT drive it in parking lots i said that he will get hung up debris. you just said that you drove on 'prepped' parking lots. im talking about going out behind an industrial building and opening it up. any rock or stick will get caught. i used to run a rc12L and had that happen to me. yes, you can max out the ride height and avoid a lot of the little stones, but that will alter the handling.

just clarifying:D

rccartips 03-24-2011 01:20 PM

The F104 can easily have a ride height of 5mm, should be good for most outdoor parkinglots. Go for it!

I've raced F103 in an outdoor mall concrete parking lot, and these surfaces can be pretty rough. No problems.

JR007 03-24-2011 01:22 PM

As mentioned, it will go fine. I run at about 7mm ride height on my track, which would soak up all but the bigget bumps. Traction will be the biggest issue, as pan cars don't like slippery surfaces much.
Still, they are fun and look great!

Stregone 03-24-2011 02:02 PM

We run F1 at our parking lot track. The parking lot is pretty smooth, and it gets blown off before every race. It works fine.

charlie_b 03-24-2011 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bigben1165 (Post 8854902)
i didnt say that he could NOT drive it in parking lots i said that he will get hung up debris. you just said that you drove on 'prepped' parking lots. im talking about going out behind an industrial building and opening it up. any rock or stick will get caught. i used to run a rc12L and had that happen to me. yes, you can max out the ride height and avoid a lot of the little stones, but that will alter the handling.

just clarifying:D

I meant Un-prepped parking lots. Btw. Really hard to type on my phone.

BullFrog 03-24-2011 04:03 PM

Get a blower (electric or gas) and blow the area you want to practice on. As for traction get a 2 liter of grape or orange soda for traction. My driveway is my test area.
As they said above we ran theF103- hpi's on parking lots all the time back in the day. Preparing to do the same for the region races in 3 months.