R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-05-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default GTX? Comp2?

i need help. no jokes please. I need a new speed control, and soon. i want to buy the best out there. I have heard that lrp comp 2's have problems, but r very good when they work. The gt7 is alright, but what about the new gtx? when is it coming, and is it worth the wait. advice?
e money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:14 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Who is telling you that the LRP has problems? If it is you local hobby shop - I wouldn't care what they say. Most Hobby Shops don't have a clue. Not all but most. Now every manufacture puts out a bad batch of a product at sometime. Long as they take care of it under warranty. Then so be it.

The GTX is a new product. You never want to be one of the first to get a new product. Let Novak work out the problems first.

I used to own the GT7. It is good yes, But I decided I hate all the work invoved with brushed motors and run all brushless now.

Not sure if any of that helps. but that is my 2cents.
studysession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:37 PM   #3
Tech Addict

From what I've read both the gt7 and qc2 both have problems. I have read that people have had bothe of them blow up for no apparent reason. The QC2 is not waterproof like LRP states so that can cause failure. I have a QC2 and havent had any problems yet. I think it runs on the hot side but that hasnt caused any problems yet. I've read that LRP has horrible customer service, their escs have to be sent to Germany to be fixed sometimes and it can take months to get a your esc repaired or to get a replacement. LRPs lifetime warrenty is also a bunch or BS, they will fix/replace escs with defects for the first 90 days, but after that you have to pay for repairs. I think novak has better customer service, especially since they are in the US. I would reccomend the QC2, the GTX doesnt look bad either. One thing that you know about the GTX is that even if there is a problem with the first escs Novak will take care of you.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:41 PM   #4
Tech Adept

I am over seas. Even from over here. The people that I have seen post on the UK boards. Have sent stuff to Novak and got it back with in a 1 week or 2. That is fast.

So from that, I would agree about the Novak Support is better.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:05 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

i have a gt7 here, that has to go back to be fixed...just never got round to it..

how much is it to get a speed controll fixed?

sorry for stealing your thread btw.

anyway, i would go for novak, i know i just said my gt7 is broken..but its not just the esc that matters, its whether it can be repaired/replaced quickly and easily..the customer service at novak is so good though, they are always willing to help out.
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Best thing to do is to call them up and ask:
http://www.teamnovak.com/

They may fix it under warranty even if the time has past.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:10 PM   #7
N4S
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

one word KEYENCE !!!!!!! customer support is second to none , and problems from what i have seen dont exist. schumacher is the distributor for the us. I have run the GT7 and have seen 3 of the comp 2's go up in smoke in the span of six months at my local track. All i can say is try it........you wont ever buy anything else.
N4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:24 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: GTX? Comp2?

Quote:
Originally posted by e money
i need help. no jokes please. I need a new speed control, and soon. i want to buy the best out there. I have heard that lrp comp 2's have problems, but r very good when they work. The gt7 is alright, but what about the new gtx? when is it coming, and is it worth the wait. advice?
There are other new "latest generation micro size" ESC's due out, and waiting will be definately be worth it!
ProMaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by AE Racer
[B I've read that LRP has horrible customer service, their escs have to be sent to Germany to be fixed sometimes and it can take months to get a your esc repaired or to get a replacement. [/B]
not sure where you read that or who wrote it but its not true, i sent mine to associated like it says on the warranty papers, it did take more time then i would have liked to get it back, but instead of repairing it. (it had no brakes) they sent me a new one and thats why it took a little longer then normal, they were outta stock. as far as which one is better, couldn't tell you that. but i can tell that the 7.1 is really smooth, and the power set or boost or whatever they call it on the q2 really works, its the first esc that i've had that i can tell a difference in the setting. and i'm happy with it
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:51 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I bought the GT7 since it came and never had a single problem. Now looking forward to getting the new GTX any day now.
if you like the smell of smoke... look at getting the quantums..

another good speedos to condsider that I've also owned is the Keyence Zero extreme../ or the newer Rapido...
I've also used the KO Hara Twister (VFS-2000) with great success... also looking forward to getting the new KO VFS-1 as well.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:50 PM   #11
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by N4S
one word KEYENCE !!!!!!!
I'd agree, I've had a keyence for over 2 years without a problem. I've seen alot of novaks go up in smoke and an lrp go up in flames.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:55 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by studysession

The GTX is a new product. You never want to be one of the first to get a new product. Let Novak work out the problems first.
That's exactly what Novak have very kindly done for us customers. They have been testing and improving the GTX for over a year with their team drivers all over the world.

Now that they know they have an efficient and bullit proof product they are putting it out in the shops.

Apart from that of course we all know Novak's after sales service is absolutely second to none.

Delivery in USA September. Europe probably late September. So I've been told.

Go for it. Don't even think twice. Just look how many of the World's best drivers are changing to Novak. They can't all be wrong.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #13
Tech Regular

I've got a ko propo vfs 2000 very good speedo but i might get a vega v3 for wet but if i didn't have the ko i'd go for the vega v3 as it's fully waterproof and quiet small and like most speedos it has solder posts a bit like the ko and it's very cheap for the quality

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:11 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Smile

thanks for all the advice, now i have even more questions. I race indoor carpet, and truth be told i suck, i hit rails hard. which speedo would be the most durable.
e money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Post e money

Before you buy anything, like it already has been mentioned, I was in the market for a new speed control a couple of months ago. I heard all of the same issues with the LRP QC2 and the GT-7. Some good, some bad. Then I heard of the Keyence Zero V Extreme. No issues. All good. Got it. DONE.
There's not another speedo out there that I'd rather run. PERIOD.
Check 'em out e, you won't be disappointed.

- jaYBee

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote