R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2004, 11:28 AM   #16
N4S
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Your exactly right.....I hear good and bad about the other manufacturers like novak and lrp , but when it comes to keyence , in 4 years i have never heard or seen anything negative about these speedos......
N4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:43 PM   #17
X2
Tech Regular

About the LRP customer service, here in the UK, the Nosram dominator Evos and Q2's (both the same speedo) blow up all the time in the wet weather, both have different distributor's but people normally receive their speedos back with in 1-2 weeks. Ive sent back 3 Nosrams and not had to pay at all for anything, just got a new one. I was even sent an extra FREE speedo through the post with compliments from the distributor Now thats customer service.
I dont think you will ever find that they will repair the Q2's due to the silicone waterproffing, they will just give you a new one.
X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally posted by X2
About the LRP customer service, here in the UK, the Nosram dominator Evos and Q2's (both the same speedo) blow up all the time in the wet weather, both have different distributor's but people normally receive their speedos back with in 1-2 weeks. Ive sent back 3 Nosrams and not had to pay at all for anything, just got a new one. I was even sent an extra FREE speedo through the post with compliments from the distributor Now thats customer service.
I dont think you will ever find that they will repair the Q2's due to the silicone waterproffing, they will just give you a new one.
WOW! Lifetime warranty in full effect I wonder... how many replacements is it gonna take before you finally give up on 'em.

- jaYBee

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:09 AM   #19
X2
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
WOW! Lifetime warranty in full effect I wonder... how many replacements is it gonna take before you finally give up on 'em.

- jaYBee
Im giving up on them when the new MRT comes out
X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:18 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi,
Just thought I'd add in my thoughts.
Firstly I'll just say I've never run any LRP Quantams, or Novaks, so I can't really comment on the speedos. I have run a v7.1 though, and that was a lovely speedo, never had any problems with it, and I did treat it pretty rough (running it in fully wet conditions etc).

However, I have heard a number of stories from fellow club racers having problems with their QC2's (and dominator evo's), in that they started smoking for no apparent reason.... someone actually blew one up last week, in the final round of Q, he got to within about 30secs of the finish, and the car stopped. Boy did it stink....

Also another one of my fellow club racers has a GT7, which did break, but he sent it back to novak to get repaired, and from what I can gather it was pretty quickly dealt with.

I personally haven't had any probelms with LRP returns, my Pulsar comp charger blew a FET recently, and being about a month and a bit old I sent it back to Helger distribution over here in the UK, and I got a replacement send back within 2 weeks, so quite pleased.

Currently I'm running a MRT VX Pro, and it is a wicked little speedo, a little larger than most, but the corrally connectors making removing a motor easy (no need to de-solder wires), and it is wonderfully tuneable (14 odd throttle profiles, 14 odd brake profiles, launch control profiles etc etc.) PLUS it IS 100% water-proof (well at least to my knowledge, haven't dared imerse it in a glass of water yet... ), unlike so-called w/proof LRP's.....
I actually picked up mine unused second hand, and have been very happy with it, and would highly recommend it. It will probably be cheaper than the LRP or Novaks too.

HtH
Ed

p.s. don't get a mTroniks Cirrus, I've seen three of thoose blow up on one guys car over the past 2 months.... not pretty.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:11 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

e money,

I had been a long term Novak supporter. My favorite most durable ESC was their 410 series. Sure their customer support is good, why, because their customers need support. After my last race I decided I will never run Novak again. I think they make the most un-reliable Escs to date and I refuse to use their great customer support. I do consider myself a great driver and avoid excess stress on the ESCs.

My viewpoint is I would rather have a great ESC and no support rather than a low quality/durable ESC with great support. If the ESC is great it will hold up for many years and you will NOT need support. I have a GMv12XC for 3 years, never a problem and heard their support is so so. Currently I am looking at either a new Keyance or Ko Propo.

On the advise side if you are still learning the finess of driving. I don't think I could recommend a high end ESC, unless money is not an issue. If you are still learning to drive a complicated ESC may only get in your way for chassis tuning and getting cleanly around the track.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 03:11 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was an old School Novak 410 user.....I used to love my old M5, and kinda wish I stilll had it I used it for 5 years without a glitch or hicup....

On the other hand....I cant speak for the GT7...but a lot have gone up in smoke around here....so I bought me a Quantum Comp 1 ....and had the case seperate and fry. I sent it back to Associated, and had it replaced within about 3 weeks with a brand new unit....

I picked up an older V7.1 LRP on the advice from some racing buddies and love it more then my Quantum...in fact my Q sits as a backup to my main V7.1

Rumor has it that some LRP team drivers still use the V7.1 too, and pull them out when the camera swings around to take pictures of the winners....
Speedyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:00 AM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by A-Ko
e money,

I do consider myself a great driver and avoid excess stress on the ESCs.

Ever been referred to as BIG HEAD before ?
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:30 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:06 AM   #25
Tech Apprentice

i bought a new gt7 for $100 until all the new esc's come out. i've noticed alot of keyance at my local track, hmmmm?
e money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:27 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally posted by e money
i bought a new gt7 for $100 until all the new esc's come out. i've noticed alot of keyance at my local track, hmmmm?
They're the BEST that's why

- jaybee

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 11:59 AM   #27
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe
Default Re: GTX? Comp2?

Quote:
Originally posted by e money
i need help. no jokes please. I need a new speed control, and soon. i want to buy the best out there. I have heard that lrp comp 2's have problems, but r very good when they work. The gt7 is alright, but what about the new gtx? when is it coming, and is it worth the wait. advice?
Well, this isn't a joke, so...but go with a KoPropo VFS-1. The Ko VFS-2000 is already better than both the GTX and the QC2, and it is old technology for Ko's standards (better tech. than anything out right now), and the VFS-1 has already been proven in Japan to be better that the VFS-2000...much better. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

-Mike
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:22 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
That was pretty funny.

I mainly said that because if I was a newbie, that could explain a lot. I have seen some guys hit everycorner on a track in one battery run and then wonder why they have problems. I am not one of those drivers and usually I don't run much past 5 min to put undue stress on the Escs. At the time I was lazy and felt easier to say "great driver".

Usually let my driving do my talkin.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:50 AM   #29
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

Dude dont get a competion 2 ive heard way to many stories about them blowing up,frying.
The Novak GTX would be the better but are you sure you want to pay that price?...GTX's are expensive!!
-Sean
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:26 AM   #30

I have been use Q2 for quite sometimes now. never have problem with it. always give me great power. But I do want to try out GTX, never use Novak esc before.
Aku-Man is offline   Reply With Quote