Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SPEC TIRES FOR 12TH SCALE STOCK RACING >

SPEC TIRES FOR 12TH SCALE STOCK RACING

SPEC TIRES FOR 12TH SCALE STOCK RACING

Old 03-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default SPEC TIRES FOR 12TH SCALE STOCK RACING

I would like to start a thread and get everyone's opinion of what they think about having a spec tire for 12th scale 17.5 stock like we do for WGT with 13.5. I personally feel that this would help the class out by eliminating cost of different tires and making it more affordable for everyone to go out and have fun.
Let me know what you think and please no bashing.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Imo a spec tire in 1/12 does'nt work like it does for a larger car. It could be done as most racers have settled on yellow(or a combo of yellow and gray like the orange compound)for rears but I think most would like to have options to suit their car/style. And at only $10 a set cost is really not much of an issue.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I know I may not have the best opinion and Im not here to bash... I've been running 1/12th since the early days. I would just leave 1/12th like it is. 1/12th made it this far so I would just leave it like it is. just my opinion.

I agree with chris tires are pretty cheap I see no need to do so.

Hope this helps dont want to turn this thread into drama Lol...

Oh and one more thing..... 1/12th Fo' Life!!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Can we stop spec'ing tires? The only thing it has done is RAISE the price of racing! Why should I have to buy Jaco (Fill in the blank), when I can mount my own donuts!

Our club has switched from Pro10, to WGT, and it has raised the cost of racing considerably. I have to buy WGT wheels/tires, and now we need to run a Boost/turbo ESC (13.5)to stay competitive. When we raced 2S 10.5, it didnt matter what ESC you had, your car was more then fast enough to be competitive.

As soon as you SPEC a tire/wheel combo, you raise the price of racing. Allowing the free market to work its magic will keep racing less expensive for everyone.

Cheers,
Shawn.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree with Shawn. It's not broken, don't try to fix it. It's not all that hard to figure out 12th tires. I just started running a 12th 3 weeks ago, and spent several weeks before that asking all kinds of questions and reading lots of information. Mostly, though, the guys at my track were MORE than happy to assist me.

Bottom line, if you're having trouble figuring out 12th scale tires, ASK! Spec'ing 12th tires would only lead to the death of the healthiest and least troublesome class in onroad.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
Can we stop spec'ing tires? The only thing it has done is RAISE the price of racing! Why should I have to buy Jaco (Fill in the blank), when I can mount my own donuts!

Our club has switched from Pro10, to WGT, and it has raised the cost of racing considerably. I have to buy WGT wheels/tires, and now we need to run a Boost/turbo ESC (13.5)to stay competitive. When we raced 2S 10.5, it didnt matter what ESC you had, your car was more then fast enough to be competitive.

As soon as you SPEC a tire/wheel combo, you raise the price of racing. Allowing the free market to work its magic will keep racing less expensive for everyone.

Cheers,
Shawn.
I agree. I have been racing 1/12 for over 25 years. Leave it alone. It is not a beginner class so I think anyone that gets into 1/12 knows the challenges there are and I think most are ok with that.

Steve Dunn
Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You would think in my advanced years I would know better that to get pulled into these discussions but I'm not real bright. I don’t think we have a tire problem. We have a speed and complexity problem.

First the tires. A spec. tire is not all things to all people. Tracks have different carpet, under laments, sizes and traction compound rules. Tires are cheap and suppliers unreliable so IMO this is not the answer. Speed is always the issue in any scale of form of racing. The old racing adage of “How fast do you want to go? How much money do you have?” sound familiar?
On the track I run on, 13.5 boosted is the class of choice and the speeds are high enough to tear the foams without contact. IMO too fast. Also it is too common to have 5+ cars start a main and only one or two running at the end. This is not a good formula for growth of the class. I think this is a local issue as any track can run the program that make most sense for them. I think the important thing is for the experienced guys running this class to be more concerned about the growth of the class and not our personal needs. I like running 13.5 open but I know the local track would be better served by 17.5 non-boosted. Lower speed’s, no laptops, less wear and tear and more cars running at the end of 8 minutes.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

why spec the tire? to reduce cost? to improve attendance? lol

1/12 has been the staple of many track in the last 2 years. I know at ours, it is the only class that runs every club race. we have new guys joining in every weekend. and more in the wings just waiting for the right car to show up.

spec tire only makes it more difficult for the newbees. it frustrates them because they can not get their cars to work like the seasoned vets. and then they quit. if you would like to really kill on road, just spec the tire for 1/12.

SPEC SUCKS!!!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

+1

I too, think spec tires in 12th suck.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Did anybody already mentioned that spec tires is not a good idea?...

And for anybody still driving with those colours, try Enneti (Xceed/IDM) just 3 types of indoor foam (Soft/Medium/Hard) and that's it! How difficult can that be?....
Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rpoage
You would think in my advanced years I would know better that to get pulled into these discussions but I'm not real bright. I don’t think we have a tire problem. We have a speed and complexity problem.

First the tires. A spec. tire is not all things to all people. Tracks have different carpet, under laments, sizes and traction compound rules. Tires are cheap and suppliers unreliable so IMO this is not the answer. Speed is always the issue in any scale of form of racing. The old racing adage of “How fast do you want to go? How much money do you have?” sound familiar?
On the track I run on, 13.5 boosted is the class of choice and the speeds are high enough to tear the foams without contact. IMO too fast. Also it is too common to have 5+ cars start a main and only one or two running at the end. This is not a good formula for growth of the class. I think this is a local issue as any track can run the program that make most sense for them. I think the important thing is for the experienced guys running this class to be more concerned about the growth of the class and not our personal needs. I like running 13.5 open but I know the local track would be better served by 17.5 non-boosted. Lower speed’s, no laptops, less wear and tear and more cars running at the end of 8 minutes.
Yes Robert you do know better....hahahaha

Steve Dunn
Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Seems that when the faster / more experienced guys find a combo, and the info trickles down to the others running the class, everyone more or less ends up on the same tire, it becomes the "spec" tire almost by default.

To the OP, are you suggesting something like running pre-trued tires, such as CRC? I guess it could make life easier for some by not having to do the truing, or the expense of buying a truer? Not my bottom line opinion, just a thought / question. For the most part I'm going to agree with what most have said, 12th doesn't need much changing. I agree however with 17.5 / non-boosted as being a good thing in some ways.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Seems that when the faster / more experienced guys find a combo, and the info trickles down to the others running the class, everyone more or less ends up on the same tire, it becomes the "spec" tire almost by default.

To the OP, are you suggesting something like running pre-trued tires, such as CRC? I guess it could make life easier for some by not having to do the truing, or the expense of buying a truer? Not my bottom line opinion, just a thought / question. For the most part I'm going to agree with what most have said, 12th doesn't need much changing. I agree however with 17.5 / non-boosted as being a good thing in some ways.
I actually discussed this with the OP about a week ago and while I thought there were some possible gains going to a spec compound, you bring up a great point related to how once a formula is found for a track there isn't much deviation.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt

At our track, most of us run CRC Black fronts with Grey-Low rears. We also run the Jack the gripper tire sauce.

You will find some of the races still insist on truing their tires down to acouple of mm of foam on the rim. When I buy wheels I run them full size down to the rim, adjusting the front of the car to keep the fronts true, and not coning out.

Cost of racing has been a sore spot around the house this year, so making the most of every racing dollar spent is what its all about now. Thats why I started mounting my own donuts. Its about 1/2 the price of pre-mounts.

Shawn.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

my track is allmost all run magenta front and rear

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.