R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-18-2003, 09:28 AM   #376
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just got the book from xxxmain today... I must say that the book is excellent in providing knowledge in RC tuning... it's so easy to understand complete with example... thanks to Martin...

Martin.... just forget the pm that I've sent you.......

I am just to excited to get the book...

I hope I can get my car set properly after readinf the book...

cheers..
Old 02-18-2003, 08:34 PM   #377
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to kentot Send a message via Yahoo to kentot
Default xxxs front end scrubing

hey guys, may be you can help me with my problem. i race xxxs for a while now and i'm happy with it performance. i just need your advise to fine tune my ride.

every time i race i noticed that the front end of my kit rubs on tight turns. can anyone suggest how i can remove this problem? this rubbing kinda slows me down...

track is asphalt a bit bumpy, run diff front & back, high roll front & rear, silver springs.
kentot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:53 PM   #378
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Rubs what...the ground?
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:20 PM   #379
Tech Adept

Axiom5B - sorry for the term but yes. i mean the car pushes during tight turns. how can i correct this? i know putting oneways will help but that is the expensive way

i want my kit to flow around the turns... coz this will save time right?!
Old 02-18-2003, 09:29 PM   #380
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by kentot
Axiom5B - sorry for the term but yes. i mean the car pushes during tight turns. how can i correct this? i know putting oneways will help but that is the expensive way

i want my kit to flow around the turns... coz this will save time right?!
had the same problem with my xxxs so I went to the losi web site and put ron rossetti's set up in . works pretty dang good no push good steering on and off power

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 12:22 AM   #381
Tech Adept

howard h - thanks i'll check it out.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:46 AM   #382
Tech Elite

Default Popsracer

Popsracer, we started a setup philosophy discussion in another thread, but I think it belongs here;

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
...but, I find that using the SAME Tires and Inserts F/R makes the Car easier to set-up and ultimately drive faster. This is my thinking on having a "Balanced" chassis set-up. To try and keep both ends of the Car as Equal as possible.

I couldn't believe how much easier my Cars were to drive once I went to Digital HS servos for the Steering. [/B]
I agree on the servo point - it also makes it way easier to setup the car well.

I've been thinking about your way of thinking. I find it very interesting, however, there's a part that I dont understand yet. Let's take the example of the Pro2 with a little loose end. Now if one want to keep the front and rear to be quite equal, then there are the following to work with:

Tires/inserts. Springs/shock oil. And the front/rear have to be quite even.

Afterwards you can fine trim with droop, camber, camber links etc. I believe that one can get a pretty good result by doing so, however, I also believe that the rear still might be a little loose. This requires good driving skills, especially when the heat is on an adrenalin flows.

Now personally, I tend to be a little on the safe side setup-wise, that is, I prefer to have a little margin, to prevent shaky-problems.

I would appreciate your comments on this. The above is a little theoretical, since I havent tried your way of thinking in the real world. This is also the reason for asking...
Old 03-05-2003, 05:15 AM   #383
Tech Elite

Bear in mind that the shocks are mounted further out on the rear wishbones, so although the spring rates are even, the actual wheel rate at the rear is somewhat stiffer. That's why the car feels loose with the same settings all round. Don't be afraid to go for a slightly softer spring at the rear if the car feels loose, you won't be disrupting the cars balance.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:28 AM   #384
Tech Elite

I dont mind using softer springs, actually, it's what I'm doing right now. And I'm doing quite fine. It's a discussion of another setup concept (way of thinking), there's the issue.

Something like: Use a certain spring rate or use a little softer spring rate plus sway bars. Which is better? I've already tried both and I was surprised.

My biggest limit in this hobby, are the amount of time I can spend. So I like to hear more about Popsracer's way of doing things, instead of doing the experiments myself. If I think Pops idea's might fit my needs (track, driving style etc), I'll try it out.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:59 AM   #385
Tech Elite

Default Faster corner speed like pro

Guys;

OK, check this on your (HPI's) and tell me what you find.
I find that even with 2 steps stiffer spring rates in the Front of the Car. The REAR seems firmer when you push down on the suspension. I haven't found a solution to this yet, but I believe it contributes to the loose rear ends that HPI's are noted for.

Cole Trickle & sosidge;

I have raced with the different Tire compound/insert thing before and it is usually VERY easy to drive.
BUT:
1) I feel that my Cars are not as fast as they could be when set-up this way. Note: a slightly "Edgy" car will be faster in the turns.
2) You can now use a more "Balanced" set-up Front to Rear with the same T/I combination.
3) You can swap tires Front to Back with no problem.
4) The biggest thing is, to go faster, you need to be able to push the car harder.

There is nothing wrong with running softer in the Rear. All I'm saying is don't over do it. Keep the difference in spring rates within 2 steps. I also find that Heavier Shocks Oils tend to make my Cars twitchy, so I usually stick with something very close to 45F/40R on ALL of my cars. I always run the stock kit pistons (#3) as it allows me to use the lower weight oils, that have more steps in between wts.
Definitely takes a steadier hand with this kind of set-up and you probably wont like it at first. But once you get used to it, your going to have quicker lap times.

(Sosidge; my spell checker always wants to change your name to "Sausage" )

Last edited by popsracer; 03-05-2003 at 10:02 AM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 11:05 AM   #386
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

I would like to add my $.02 worth on this...

I feel that there is an optimum tire/insert combo for every given track/surface/temperature. So if you change the tire or insert on one end of the car to compensate for too much/little traction then you are simply taking traction away as a cure for poor tuning. There are times when this isn't always true like foam tires, but for rubber tires I feel this is almost always the case.

Here's an example is see happen at our local medium traction asphalt track:
Racer Joe's car is loose and he doesn't know exactly what to do to gain more traction in the rearof his car, so he puts a softer tire on the rear. He has gone from CS-27's to CS-27/22. The track is around 100deg F. Now his car is much more drivable in practice. He goes to race his first qualifier and halfway through the race his car starts to get a little loose in the rear again. He has no idea why. What he doesn't realize is the 22's are too soft for the track temp and they start getting "greasy" and overheating after 3-4 minutes.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:18 PM   #387
Tech Elite

Default BigDogRacing;

That was a GREAT response. I agree with you 100%.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:26 PM   #388
Tech Initiate

he guys,

I read the whole tread and learned a lot from it.
But i still have a TC question.

What whould the effect be if i put spacers between the shockbody and the springperch (To limmit Uptravel)?
I read somewhere that this is used in offroad but how does it affect the car in onroad?

Thanks in advance,

-Whacky.
Whacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:04 PM   #389
Tech Elite

Default Faster corner speed like pro

Some chassis have screws to limit "compression" or up travel. There can be some advantages on some tracks to doing this, however if the track has raised corner DOTS, the car will flip over easier if the up travel is limited and you tend to cut them a little too close (like me).

I never limit up travel (compression) solely for this reason, but this is a personal driving preference.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:58 AM   #390
Tech Elite

Right now I'm running my Pro2 with a one-way diff as the only hop-op. The setup are pretty good, however, the rear tends to brake loose in the middle of hair pins. It's only if I take those hair pins very very tight (both in and out). It seems to be if I apply throttle too early or got too much speed, while cornering a little too tight.

If I avoid those situations, the car is very fast. So I tend to agree that the car is faster, if it's on the edge.

The challenge is not to get too excited, while racing

I think my rear are too soft, so I plan on use stiffer springs all around - have to order some

By the way, I tried a little softer shock oil in the rear. The rear felt a little looser, however, it was more predictable. But I wen back to the original oil. Cant remember the whole setup right now, so I wont post it.