R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-29-2002, 01:49 AM   #271
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

hm.... u guys r right there it depends on the track .....

i am just soo much in love with my flowing technique but i just cant seem to tame down the front end ... just a tad too aggerasive to play with other cars ........and if i am alone i am fast and when i theres other cars on the track i end up in da barriers ...LOL

i tuned it down a bit now and its a more controlable even tho is flowing at least i dunt need to take a chicane at 1/4 turn stearing ...hehe the funny thing i realised is that its sooo much easier to drive ...

so i think i will use my inital super twichy setup for training and this one for the race .... if it requires a flowing setup for the track

btw i was wondering why would someone need faster servos if they actually can tune the car itself ...??? well i am having trouble handling it even tho i am on S3003 servos when i use the super twichy setup - even some people says i am using hi speed servo and only to belive me after they see the servo themself
any insights??

flowing technique = laying down front shocks and standing up rear ones

hm ..... yea boomer i just have to give and take ....balance off the car from pure likes and to be practical for the track use
but for qualifiying if u r the only car out there i think its faster to use the flowing technique

with the throwing technique my car will slide just a bit then curves itself close to a 90 degree angle ....
its also possible to drive the car setup with a throwing setup smoothly and i figured that its quite fast as u can carefully choose the lines ( good for mod)

and even with the throwing technique my servo response is still quite fast ... but of course slower then the flowing setup

throwing technique = standing front shocks and laying down rear ones...

both with softer springs on the the rear and harder in the front
just move the holes which its connected to to change angles ...

hehe i love my car i can change the flowing to throwing and vice versa by moving shock angles and all i to do is to losent 2 screws !!!

imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:20 AM   #272
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

actaully, my post sounded too general also. i guess thats probably why i have two cars to set up differently. i actually tend to use the tc3 more on tight tracks now with lots of hairpins and the would probably go more to my xxxs in fast flowing tracks.... just coz that how ive set them up. so yes, i agree that it would depend on the track. maybe when i get over my laziness i'll try reversing my set-ups on both cars. who knows, maybe i'll do better .....

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 06:13 AM   #273
Tech Master

hehe ..... tc3 is shaft driven so i guess that it will have more torque and better on pickups so i would set it for tight tracks

while the xxx-s is efficent so its low drag for high speed

sounds logical
Old 08-29-2002, 01:00 PM   #274
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I like faster servos because I can always slow them down. . .

I was using an old red servo on my Pro10 car that was real strong, but just too danged slow and it showed. I moved up to a mid speed servo (Air 737) and the car immediately showed the difference. One of our mates, here, upped his speed still further and it shows even more.

I guess I would rather have a fast as snot servo and turn down speed and get used to speed than have a slower one. . .call me crazy!
Old 08-29-2002, 08:47 PM   #275
Tech Master

hehehe hm......... looks like i will consider gettin a faster servo as well ... LOL

but with the response i am already gettin from my car ... i will have to think twice
Old 09-03-2002, 09:48 AM   #276
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

OK guys, help me out here.

It's mid morning with track temps around 115 deg. F and i'm doing some great lap times and I qualify say.....third in the "A". The car is planted and traction is up. Come the mains the track temp soars to 140 and my car is really loose during warmup.

What do I do?

Do I......

1. Go softer on springs
2. Increase droop
3. Go softer on oil
4. Change camber link placement
5. Other

I hate changing things before the main especially if I qualify good but this seems to be a reoccuring(SP?) problem.

Thanks!
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 09:56 AM   #277
Regional Moderator

Go to a higher temp tire. For 115 degrees you should use Sorex 40's or equivalent.
Addict sa RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 10:14 AM   #278
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

a bit off topic, but ive read "servos" a couple of posts down so here's my question: do you guys know the specs of the
JR DS8201 fet digital servo? thanks for any info sorry for the off-topic query
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 10:18 AM   #279
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Addict sa RC
Go to a higher temp tire. For 115 degrees you should use Sorex 40's or equivalent.
Ooops! I forgot to mention that i'm already using Sorex 40R rubber tires.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:51 AM   #280
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by FREAKAH

Ooops! I forgot to mention that i'm already using Sorex 40R rubber tires.
Yikes! Ok then, what I would do (and I'm no expert by the way) is stand up the rear shocks or go to a softer spring in the rear if only the rear is breaking traction. If both front and rear are breaking loose when the temp goes up then go to a softer setup so that the chassis would roll more when turning. Just my $.02.
Addict sa RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:53 PM   #281
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by FREAKAH
OK guys, help me out here.

It's mid morning with track temps around 115 deg. F and i'm doing some great lap times and I qualify say.....third in the "A". The car is planted and traction is up. Come the mains the track temp soars to 140 and my car is really loose during warmup.

What do I do?

Do I......

1. Go softer on springs
2. Increase droop
3. Go softer on oil
4. Change camber link placement
5. Other

I hate changing things before the main especially if I qualify good but this seems to be a reoccuring(SP?) problem.

Thanks!
T
Old 09-03-2002, 09:04 PM   #282
Tech Master

Guys,
What's the best way to increase corner speed in long, fast sweepers? A higher rear roll center?

~Alvin
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 03:51 AM   #283
Tech Master

look UP ^

Last edited by imataquito; 09-04-2002 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:54 AM   #284
Tech Master

um............ set it up so the REAR 'follows' the front REALLY nice and a bit of understear/ neutral stearing ...

guessed setup in 'general' would be
stiffer REAR diffs and stand up rear shocks and layed down front ones or harder springs in the rear ...

of course u gota do all this slowly and step by step and not go to extreme to find the sweet sopt of this setup

hard to explain coz u will have to move slowly from how ur curent setup feels ... so its hard to tell- this is very very general

maybe stand up rear shocks and layed down front shocks BUT softer rear springs to still give u the manuverability elsewhere on the track

to make it a flowing setup the turning point of the car ...
at the REAR

if u look at a stick ... holding it in the centre turns it both equally when u 'wrigle' it
but holding it back it will have more moving distance infront of the stick compared to the rear and vice versa

(* when its fast and u do a turn u can see there is a"CENTRE"of the turn on the chasis- most pple make it as middle as possible or some make it infront so it pushes )

but for a flowing setup it should be more to the rear and TURNING CENTRE is situated more backwords ....

still feels its hard to understand ... but cannot think of a better way to explain .... i am no good at explaining

high roll centre ?? not sure ............

i only know my car will feel really stable with high roll centre but at the sacrifice of grip (less roll)
Old 09-04-2002, 05:48 PM   #285
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Actually, the Sorex 36R has an operating temp from about 98F to 158F. Normally we don't start strapping on 40's until the ground temp. is approaching ~150F. This past weekend the ground temp at a track I compete at was fastly approaching 155F and we acutually used 36R's without much if any loss of speed in the corners. At 115F your 36R's should be fine.

Fred Hubbard
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote