R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What would you do?

hey all.... mods if this is in wrong place please direct me, thanks!

i just picked up a great condition hpi pro 2.... and ive been stocking parts for it like wildfire... and ive been picking up hard to find option parts that are becoming more scarce....

my question is this... i plan on rebuilding the car from the ground up, and replacing the worn or marred parts with new ones i have... but i also have NIB factory graphite towers and some other factory goodies...

what would you do? keep them NIB or install them and let the car shine in its last few years before it becomes a permanent shelf queen?

i play on hitting up RCGT first and maybe some VTA... nothing really quick, but enough to put the car threw its paces.

honhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Shine it up and race it!
2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by honhon View Post
hey all.... mods if this is in wrong place please direct me, thanks!

i just picked up a great condition hpi pro 2.... and ive been stocking parts for it like wildfire... and ive been picking up hard to find option parts that are becoming more scarce....

my question is this... i plan on rebuilding the car from the ground up, and replacing the worn or marred parts with new ones i have... but i also have NIB factory graphite towers and some other factory goodies...

what would you do? keep them NIB or install them and let the car shine in its last few years before it becomes a permanent shelf queen?

i play on hitting up RCGT first and maybe some VTA... nothing really quick, but enough to put the car threw its paces.
If you're racing it, put the parts to good use.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

There are some cars that have become collectible and in those cases they may be ok to race but when it comes to the hard to find upgrade parts for them, I leave them in the box or bag.
Unfortunately, the Sprint isn't likely to reach the collectible level anytime soon. Most often the cars that become collectible are unique in some way and usually a higher performance chassis.
Soooo.... RACE IT !!! and have Fun.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Tech Adept

That's a tuff decsion. While it's nice to have a older car with lots of hopup's on it as a shelf queen. I personaly have always found it difficult to be a collector and not run my cars.

So I say race it and have fun!
infokiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Run it, use the parts, have fun. I doubt it will be worth "more" in the future.

Speaking of collectability, have those days come and gone? I think the "golden age" of R/C is over and at this point it's all pretty much disposable. I could be wrong, maybe some of the Losi Micro stuff will be collectable, and some of the Tamiya mini stuff. I have a vintage Kyosho Optima Turbo, painted to look close to the box picture. I wish the thing was still NIB untouched, I have seen them listed on Ebay for over $1000.00 .

But yeah, just run it and have fun. No reason not to.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Tech Adept

well im not looking for an increase in value, i think ill probable throw them on, so the car can be its best...

and i do want to testify that the pro 2 is different, even though they look similar, the sprint is all fiberglass...

and i dont really think it'll be collectible, i was just kind of teetering on the edge of i should open parts that have been sitting around for almost 13years...

thanks for the input everyone!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Tech Elite

In my view, nothing is collectible if it can't run. The only things I haven't run were "collectibles" that disappointed me completely when I bought them BNIB only to discover they had fatal design flaws which would have rendered them absolutely hopeless as runners. I moved these on without wastng any time.

Everything else is both a runner and a collectible in my collection!

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
well im not looking for an increase in value, i think ill probable throw them on, so the car can be its best...

and i do want to testify that the pro 2 is different, even though they look similar, the sprint is all fiberglass...

and i dont really think it'll be collectible, i was just kind of teetering on the edge of i should open parts that have been sitting around for almost 13years...

thanks for the input everyone!
the pro2 is a great car, much much better than the sprint. it was a terror in its hey day and can still kick plenty of butt today. of course the suspension isnt sophisticated like todays vertical upper link ball studs, but heck i am driving a kawada alcyon II from 2000, and i still have lots of fun go really fast with it.
Some parts like the diff outdrives, belts, i get them made at the machine shop or the local belt maker.

here is my Alcyon II, very similar to the pro2, with saddle pack lipos and 10.5T Team Powers motor..
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Run it, the Pro 2 is great and I miss mine. Only thing I broke/bent in the car was pretty much the aluminum axles only.
rc_square24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 AM   #11
Tech Adept

thanks again for the replys.... im glad you posted that picture... the only thing i was actually worrying about is if a lipo saddle will fit on the car, and i see now that its confirmed it will.

i cant wait for the last few pieces to get here and im going to restore that puppy...

and i guess since i dont even see the new cars running them, and there isnt really any topics, im going to remove the sway bars and just hold them.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
thanks again for the replys.... im glad you posted that picture... the only thing i was actually worrying about is if a lipo saddle will fit on the car, and i see now that its confirmed it will.

i cant wait for the last few pieces to get here and im going to restore that puppy...

and i guess since i dont even see the new cars running them, and there isnt really any topics, im going to remove the sway bars and just hold them.
dude, be careful, the pro2 uses plastic trays to hold the round cells in. My kawada is a flat chassis. With the plastic tray, your lipo may be raised higher, i suggest you borrow some lipo saddles from a off road buddy and test fit it first. I modified my car a little to be able to accept the tall batts of today.
and by the way, there is a thread for these cars, which i started years ago.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-comeback.html
by the way, do visit my blogspot listed below, and you will see that i still use a very thick antiroll bar at the back, but a very soft rear spring. the reason is the lipos nowdays are getting more and more heavier, my intellect 5200mah weighs 280g, not like yesteryears lipos of 3200mah which weighed only 210g. also i made my own saddle pack wire joiner, i will post the picture tonight.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #13
Tech Adept

actually the plastic craddles are removable. so the battery can actually sit right on the chassis itself... and i was thinking of using the venom clear case lipos... im planning only getting one battery because of the limited schedule that i can actually race.

but anways, when i had the clear case venom lipos before i remember them having the small dimple in the bottom to help secure it inplace, as if it were to "grab" ahold of the "socket" for the older NIMH cells...

but thanks for the info on the height stuff... thats my main concern.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
actually the plastic craddles are removable. so the battery can actually sit right on the chassis itself... and i was thinking of using the venom clear case lipos... im planning only getting one battery because of the limited schedule that i can actually race.

but anways, when i had the clear case venom lipos before i remember them having the small dimple in the bottom to help secure it inplace, as if it were to "grab" ahold of the "socket" for the older NIMH cells...

but thanks for the info on the height stuff... thats my main concern.
ok have a look at the normal center lipo wires these days

then compare to my little innovation.

saves a lot of space and wire too !
Old 03-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Default HPI Ad 1999

A little something to make you proud to own a RS4 Pro2...from my old magazine collection