Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The TC4 isn't discontinued, it lives on as the Club Racer. I think the only change was a front spool that comes stock.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

All is well then.

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
The TC4 isn't discontinued, it lives on as the Club Racer. I think the only change was a front spool that comes stock.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool

All is well , Bert is swell...lol... Get your tc4, and see you at the track....
Old 01-06-2014, 01:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Kenshin, I like your avatar.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

I noticed the graphite chassis is only 60 bucks or so. but I can't find the top plate. Do I need the top plate?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lee111m
I noticed the graphite chassis is only 60 bucks or so. but I can't find the top plate. Do I need the top plate?
you will need a top plate, motor bulkhead and camber mounts to finish the conversion, most of these parts are long discontinued.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It is possible to create a hybrid between the tub chassis TC4 and FTTC4, but you will have to come up with your own solutions for a few things...

Motor Mount
The FTTC4 motor mount is no longer available. Here a a couple of options.
- Modify the tub chassis TC4 motor mount to work with the FTTC4 chassis. You will need a way to support the bearing in front of the spur gear though.
- Purchase a Diggity Designs DC4 LE motor mount which looks to be a direct replacement for the FTTC4 motor mount (if available). Here is a link - http://www.diggitydesigns.com/Diggit...otorMount.html

Top Deck
- Check Team Associated website for parts as it looks like you can still buy a top deck here - http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a...s_accessories/
- Some people have modified other cars top decks to work with their TC4's (TC5's or TC6's???). Search this thread as I know there was at least one example.
- Again you can buy a Diggity Designs DC4 LE top deck. They have 3 different thicknesses that look to be available on their website here - http://www.diggitydesigns.com/produc...signs_DC4.html

Camber Mounts
- Good luck on finding the FTTC4 aluminum inner camber link mounts. I don't think anyone makes an aftermarket option.
- You can always use the stock TC4 chassis braces and cut off/modify what you don't need since they have the inner camber link mounts. If you are using a stock FTTC4 top deck you will also need to modify it.
- Remember that the NTC3/TC3/TC4 all use the same diff cases which were designed to use plastic chassis braces. In fact you can update a TC3 with TC4 chassis braces and shock towers to have updated camber links & 4 shock tower locations.

----------

One thing to keep in mind is that you may end up spending a lot to upgrade/modify a stock TC4. Set a budget and price everything out before you buy. It may be more cost effective to purchase a newer designed shaft car like a Tamiya TB-04, which has gear diffs.

However if you read through this thread you will find plenty of suggestions/photos on how to upgrade a TC4 to be competitive in faster classes. If you are just going to be running USVTA or USGT, then a Club Racer TC4 is capable of winning in the hands of a good driver.

Hope this info helps.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

I love the TC4 and have done some upgrades but you really do need to be realistic about it. Sometimes it is just not worth the time and money to mod.
My top upgrades to a box stock TC4 club racer, in order of my preference and value are:
Front steel universal shafts - front shafts will not survive the spool
VCS2 shock upgrade - shocks are soo unbelievably smooth
Front and rear aluminum hinge pin blocks - so you can make roll center and other adjustments
RPM ball ends
and..... thats it! That is what I put in my car and the value I got for those upgrades was worth their price. Anything else short of just taking a dremel to it to add some flex just isn't worth it IMHO.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

if anyone is interested I have a bunch of nip aluminum factory team suspension mounts. pm me if interested.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm still in the process of reading through the thread but I'm gonna go ahead and post my questions.

I just pulled my TC4 out of the closet after like 5 years. I purchased it back in the day when I had more money than sense and just kind of bashed with it. I bought a Novak GTB 5.5 esc/motor combo that I now realize was a mistake. It is way too much motor for me.

My question is, as I am a relative newb still, can you guys possibly recommend a pinion/spur combination that would help me make the motor more manageable. I know that BL motors have a sweet spot as far as gearing and I'm sure I won't be at that sweet spot but I just need less acceleration I suppose. Basically should I gear up?

I guess my other question is, should I just get a different Novak motor that is compatible with the GTB ESC? I see a SS5800 on ebay. Do you guys think this would be a good replacement?
Old 01-07-2014, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

I love the TC4 and have done some upgrades but you really do need to be realistic about it. Sometimes it is just not worth the time and money to mod.
My top upgrades to a box stock TC4 club racer, in order of my preference and value are:
Front steel universal shafts - front shafts will not survive the spool
VCS2 shock upgrade - shocks are soo unbelievably smooth
Front and rear aluminum hinge pin blocks - so you can make roll center and other adjustments
RPM ball ends
and..... thats it! That is what I put in my car and the value I got for those upgrades was worth their price. Anything else short of just taking a dremel to it to add some flex just isn't worth it IMHO.
Ya, I already have the steel front shafts, I heard the plastic ones instantly shredded, so i replaced then basically right out of the box. And I'm going to try tc6 ball ends. I'll work on the rest later. Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by visuvius
I'm still in the process of reading through the thread but I'm gonna go ahead and post my questions.

I just pulled my TC4 out of the closet after like 5 years. I purchased it back in the day when I had more money than sense and just kind of bashed with it. I bought a Novak GTB 5.5 esc/motor combo that I now realize was a mistake. It is way too much motor for me.

My question is, as I am a relative newb still, can you guys possibly recommend a pinion/spur combination that would help me make the motor more manageable. I know that BL motors have a sweet spot as far as gearing and I'm sure I won't be at that sweet spot but I just need less acceleration I suppose. Basically should I gear up?

I guess my other question is, should I just get a different Novak motor that is compatible with the GTB ESC? I see a SS5800 on ebay. Do you guys think this would be a good replacement?
A 5.5 motor is just crazy fast, especially for a shaft drive tub car. I would suggest nothing over a 17.5 or 3800kV.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A 5.5 motor is just crazy fast, especially for a shaft drive tub car. I would suggest nothing over a 17.5 or 3800kV.
Oh trust me I know now. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it, I just didn't know that much and went for the quickest thing I could find. I guess I"ll put up a WTT to see if anyone has a slower Novak they would trade with me. In the meantime I might just pickup a Sidewinder SV3 setup. Do you think the 4600kv version would be okay?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why not keep the GTB and get a different motor?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Speed Passion has a decent blinky ESC and motor combo for less than the cost of a Novak motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.