Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Post Re...bearings

OK....I give up. I got a complete new bearing set for my TC3 and TC4. They have the metal shields. I picked away at one of the large axle bearings and finally after what seemed like 10 min got the lock ring and the shield out using an Xacto knife. There has to be a better way.
I also got the blue anodized arm mounts, triangle, circle, square and 3 degree. You say these go on the chassis with no shims. What does that do to front kick up and rear anti squat. Thanks guys

Be
TJ
Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THEBIGBULL
OK....I give up. I got a complete new bearing set for my TC3 and TC4. They have the metal shields. I picked away at one of the large axle bearings and finally after what seemed like 10 min got the lock ring and the shield out using an Xacto knife. There has to be a better way.
I also got the blue anodized arm mounts, triangle, circle, square and 3 degree. You say these go on the chassis with no shims. What does that do to front kick up and rear anti squat. Thanks guys

Be
TJ
Bearings... do yourself a favor and just run them... If you have to do "something" just spray em out real good with motor spray with the shields on and put a little thin oil back on before installing...

I've run the stock rubber sealed bearings, the teflon sealed bearings, and both kinds with the shields off and sprayed out... in the end it makes very little difference in the drivetrain and the un-shielded ones get crunchy quick outdoors... As long as the bearings are still smooth the minimal drag from the shields is not going to matter at all unless your such a good driver that you make zero mistakes, hit every apex of every corner, corner with maximum corner speed, and you feel the only way to get that next .001s is with less drag on your bearings... worn/crunchy bearings... that's a different story altogether replace those asap!

As far as the arm mounts the aluminum ones are at "0" roll center. It represents the lowest roll center you can run without custom parts... In order to run any type of kick up or anti dive you need to add shims to the appropriate block to put the angles (+ or -) back in. The shims can be the stock TC4 plastic shims or for more precision you can use aluminum spacers or different thicknesses.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THEBIGBULL

Be
TJ
Removing the grease from the bearings is worth the time but there is easier ways to do it. One is get a $20 ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight and just plop them in with some solvent, hit the start button and let it do the work for you! Second is to buy a bearing blaster and some motor spray or brake clean and just spray the grease our without removing the Shields. Easy Peasy!

I uses an aluminum bearing blaster but you can get a cheap one from RPM that works just as good.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXEV92&P=8

My VTA TC3 drive train is super free and will roll for 5 sec when spun by hand with no motor attached. It does make a difference IMO, but I race with very good drivers and one little mistake and you are back 3 positions and a lap down so every little bit IS important.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default battery does not fit into TC4

I bought a 2s ROAR battery which has a normal height of 25mm. I checked other batteries and this height seems to be normal. The issue is that it is not possible to get the clips into the screws for the battery brace. Otherwise it fits fine.

I have the club racer TC4 and the issue could be that in the battery tray are little spacer (on the right and left side of the battery tray) to avoid that old NiMH batteries would not move. Do I need to cut or file/rasp them off?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by espcarino
I bought a 2s ROAR battery which has a normal height of 25mm. I checked other batteries and this height seems to be normal. The issue is that it is not possible to get the clips into the screws for the battery brace. Otherwise it fits fine.

I have the club racer TC4 and the issue could be that in the battery tray are little spacer (on the right and left side of the battery tray) to avoid that old NiMH batteries would not move. Do I need to cut or file/rasp them off?
Indeed.

I ground them out with the dremel grinding wheel.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

with the shields removed, how often does everyone oil their bearings?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

One application per season if they don't get crunchy.....
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by .crispy
Indeed.

I ground them out with the dremel grinding wheel.
thank you, will do give it a try.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edonsohc
with the shields removed, how often does everyone oil their bearings?
I apply one tiny little drop every 5-6 race days, don't even remove them from the car. Takes only one minute to hit all the wheel bearings and CVD joints. Only oil transmissions bearings once a season or if doing diff repairs.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Champion

The inner drivetrain Bearings are pretty well shielded from dirt, but the wheel axle ones are not , and you'll need at least teflon sealed Bearings there...
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

What is the diameter/measurement of the TC4's axles?

I bought some wheels that have an inner circle where the nut fits and my normal 10/32 driver doesn't fit in it. Thus I can't get the standard size locknuts to bite. I'd like to salvage this set of wheels/tires.

When I bought the car (used) the guy had some nuts on there that were smaller diameter outside. Obviously, the inner diameter was still correct.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Can someone point me to the correct locknuts that might work?
Found them

8-32 Aluminum Mini Lock nut
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Awesome. Thanks.

Still doesn't say what the O.D. of those nuts are though. I'll get some and see.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Awesome. Thanks.

Still doesn't say what the O.D. of those nuts are though. I'll get some and see.
Sure it does ... they use a standard 7mm hex wrench

SPECIFICATIONS:
Inner diameter: 4.2mm (8-32 THREADED) width: 7mm height: 5mm
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rojna
I'm kind of skeptical on that listing. They say its for a 2wd slash, but slashes use metric wheel nuts. They also say it has a 4.2mm inner diameter, but an 8-32 thread should have a 3.45mm inner diameter.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by anr211
I'm kind of skeptical on that listing. They say its for a 2wd slash, but slashes use metric wheel nuts. They also say it has a 4.2mm inner diameter, but an 8-32 thread should have a 3.45mm inner diameter.
Looks like they have them listed under different kits, including a TC3. Also clearly described as a 8-32 nut.
Yes you are correct, a 8-32 nut should be 3.45 but a bolt thread would be around 4.2mm.

2013 SNOWBIRDS coverage

Last edited by Rojna; 01-23-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.