Team Associated TC4

Like Tree298Likes

Team Associated TC4

Old 10-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: 28 mm Foams on the TC4

Originally posted by RBLove
Parma 28mm foams fit without any modifications. The off set is a little different that the Jaco. Not too mention the Parma foams are simply awesome...............
Yep!!
Old 10-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Can't say I'm impressed with the drivetrain on the new car. I just spent a little over an hour working on the rear gearbox alone (the front is tighter) and made little progress. The bearings are not the problem, the problem is that the diff and pinion gear are way too close together and make a grinding noise when rotated, and the gearbox ends up being the opposite of free.

I used a dremel to take material out of the top and bottom gearboxe halves behind the pinion gear. I also filed off part of the back of the pinion gear, and drilled a ton of material out of the slot for the pin in the pinion gear, witht the intention of allowing the pinion to be moved further away from the diff gear without rubbing on the gearbox.

The gearbox is now free for half the rotation, but the other half binds. I had the exact same problem with my TC3.

Josh
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC4-p1010203.jpg  
Old 10-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by Speedo
Can't say I'm impressed with the drivetrain on the new car. I just spend a little over an hour working on the rear gearbox alone (the front is tighter) and made little progress. The bearings are not the problem, the problem is that the diff and pinion gear are way too close together and make a grinding noise when rotated, and the gearbox ends up being the opposite of free.

I used a dremel to take material out of the top and bottom gearboxe halves behind the pinion gear. I also filed off part of the back of the pinion gear, and drilled a ton of material out of the slot for the pin in the pinion gear, witht the intention of allowing the pinion to be moved further away from the diff gear without rubbing on the gearbox.

The gearbox is now free for half the rotation, but the other half binds. I had the exact same problem with my TC3.

Josh
dont know what to tell ya bro.. my TC4, with only sprayed bearings is far more free than my TC3, which had HOURS of work in it.

My TC4 spins almost as long as my 1/12th scale rear axle.. and IT finds the heavy spot in the axle...

i forgot to mention in my first post, the only shims I used were on the input shaft.. it has one in it, to pull the pinion further away from the diff gear.

Tc4 trannys are dialed.

Keith
Old 10-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

Default Your diff gear must be too

thick.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Can't say I'm impressed with the drivetrain on the new car. I just spent a little over an hour working on the rear gearbox alone (the front is tighter) and made little progress. The bearings are not the problem, the problem is that the diff and pinion gear are way too close together and make a grinding noise when rotated, and the gearbox ends up being the opposite of free.

Josh
Must be a quality control issue, i built mine exactly as per the instructions with no hand fitting or modifcations and mine is absolutely smooth as silk.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah it sounds like a quality control problem.

I'll put a diff gear from my TC3 in there and see what happens.

Josh
Old 10-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

The diff gears included with the TC4 are 0.04mm wider than the gears I had in my TC3 - not enough to make a difference.

Josh
Old 10-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Tony, thanks for the answers!

I have noticed on my TC4's drivetrain, that the diff's move in the cases. This leads me to believe that the drivetrain should be slightly shimed more. In my car, if you tilt it to the left, then the rear gears bind and you can hear it. When you tilt it to the right, the front gears bind. Makes for a freeeeee drivetrain, but maybe adding one more shim on each side wouldn't hurt... I'll pick up some shims, to try this, the next time I'm at work.

Personally, I have had NO problems with front arms. We have front arms at SoCal(quite a few, might I add...), along with the TC4 Team Kit for $199.95.(This is in responce to many asking about where people get their TC4's from, and where you can find suspension arms...)

Last edited by bubbles; 10-26-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey speedo....from your pictures im asuming your using the IRS lite drives.....all I can say is that out of the 4 pairs of IRS lite outdrives I have , not one of them gets shimmed the same to get things smooth.....and one of them ends up with a pretty tight binding gear mesh reguardless of the shimming(even with no shims)......IRS has pretty varying tollerances with many of their products....In my experience,their lite drives and especially their aluminum tranny input shafts are among the worst as far as this......not too long ago, after buying a set of their aluminum imput shafts,that only lasted two sundays of racing ,the owner of my local hobby shop let me go thru a dozen different packs of them......not even one set was the same.....some of them, including the ones I bought had over a 9 thousanths taper to them.......which let the inner race of one of the bearings spin on the shaft, and self destruct.......try another pair of outdrives or try the stock plastic ones just to tell for sure
Old 10-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Tech Addict

NTC-3 to TC-4 bumper conv.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC4-%7Ece8.jpg  
Old 10-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Josh
Speedo, I had a binding problem too until I removed the bevel gear and took off all the flashing from the backside of the gear. It was not allowing the gear to seat properly
Old 10-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

I will try using plastic diffs and see if that makes any difference. I am surprised that something that is machined could have such terrible tollerances, but I guess it is possible.

DOTMAN, thanks for the tip, but there is no flashing left on the pinion gear.

Josh
Old 10-26-2004, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Not to sound like a jerk, but i see a bunch of people using aftermarket parts into the TC4 ending up with some drivetrain issues. I built mine with no aftermarket parts. Mayby try the kit as it is without aftermarket parts and see the fit and finish first, perhaps the aftermarket parts are a little off?
Old 10-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Default NTC3 bumper conversion...

I think it will be much better protection for my TC4.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC4-pa260200.jpg  
Old 10-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: NTC3 bumper conversion...

Originally posted by Nightbreed
I think it will be much better protection for my TC4.
What shocks are those?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.