Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

I use to race TC3's back in the day. They replaced the composite shafts with the aluminum shafts due to balance issues, the glue at the ends often had a buldge on the inside of the shaft that caused it to vibrate at high speed, the lower turn motors also would sometimes cause them to snap at the joint. Both these issues would probably not even come up on a 21 or 25 turn motor.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:42 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Looking at the AE TC4 setup sheet for Battman Kinnards 2013 high traction carpet setup, the sheet says that droop is set to Front 7mm and Rear 8mm. That seems extreme. Can this be right?

I've got the Yeah Racing 60mm shocks installed. The ride height adjustment is a bit of a problem with the extra length. The minimum ride height I can get is 5.5mm. Otherwise, the adjuster is at the top of the shock body. I may try the AE shock bottoms to see if it gains me any more adjustment. Also, the Yeah racing studs/cups are an absurdly tight fit and I had to lube them a bit. Hopefully the lube and some laps will loosen them up.

Last edited by JC3; 02-26-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added shock info
Old 02-26-2018, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fircrest
Well balls.

I thought I scored something cool haha. I've been reading some OLD threads on here and everyone called it a carbon shaft, and that it's 3 grams lighter than the aluminum one. I'll drive it around when things dry up here and see if I like it more than the aluminum one.
Even though it's not graphite it's still lighter than the aluminium one. I've got both and prefer the composite.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JC3
Looking at the AE TC4 setup sheet for Battman Kinnards 2013 high traction carpet setup, the sheet says that droop is set to Front 7mm and Rear 8mm. That seems extreme. Can this be right?

I've got the Yeah Racing 60mm shocks installed. The ride height adjustment is a bit of a problem with the extra length. The minimum ride height I can get is 5.5mm. Otherwise, the adjuster is at the top of the shock body. I may try the AE shock bottoms to see if it gains me any more adjustment. Also, the Yeah racing studs/cups are an absurdly tight fit and I had to lube them a bit. Hopefully the lube and some laps will loosen them up.
Try squeezing the Yeah cups while they're attached to the studs with pliers. That'll loosen them up a bit.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:37 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Try squeezing the Yeah cups while they're attached to the studs with pliers. That'll loosen them up a bit.
Yes, squeezing them right in the center of the studs definitely helped. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2018, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

On the Yeah Racing shocks. Which of the various lengths offered are the correct ones for the TC-4 tub or Team, standard or C/F shock towers? Will the Associated springs fit or do you have to use the included springs? Is there a rate chart included with the kit?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 04:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mleemor60
On the Yeah Racing shocks. Which of the various lengths offered are the correct ones for the TC-4 tub or Team, standard or C/F shock towers? Will the Associated springs fit or do you have to use the included springs? Is there a rate chart included with the kit?

Thanks
I purchased the 55mm YR shock set and found them a bit too short. I posted several pages back with lots of pictures so have a look.

My fix was to swap the stock shock lowers for slightly longer parts I had in my parts bins. The kits include 5 sets of springs and they include a chart but only indicate super soft, soft, medium, etc... and not actual spring rates. I have not tried the Associated springs but they likely do not fit perfectly. I have used the kit stock shock towers as well as the factory team graphite front and the mounting positions are the same. Cannot comment on the factory team rear as I don't have one.

My TC4 is up for sale and comes with the YR shock set and all the parts. Also has the stock shocks included.

Last edited by SteveM; 04-01-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

So then, the 55mm's are a little short and must be extended. The 60mm's are a little long and create ride height concerns. The included springs are or could be less than satisfactory for fine adjustment. They are beginning to sound like quite the bargain.

Though they look a lot like the TRF shocks, how are they hydraulically?
Old 02-27-2018, 06:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use the YR shocks on my drift TC5. They feel fine, and I took Steve's recommendation and used the AE orings and green slime during assembly. They obviously aren't as nice as the TRF shocks I have on my M05, or the TC7 shocks on my KFR converted TC4, but for the price they are hard to beat. They feel smooth (I used 40wt AE oil) and I have no leaks so far (I've had them for about a month now).
Old 02-27-2018, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

OK then. So on a vehicle other than a Tub 4 used in a basically bashing scenario using other than the parts and instructions provided they are hard to beat for the price while providing leak free smooth operation? Up til now.

In other words, if you are good with shocks they are workable.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yep! They are a good looking and good quality shock, especially for the price! I'll snap a pic of the ones I have (I opted for the blue bling) of the ones I have assembled on my TC5 drift car.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fircrest
I use the YR shocks on my drift TC5. They feel fine, and I took Steve's recommendation and used the AE orings and green slime during assembly. They obviously aren't as nice as the TRF shocks I have on my M05, or the TC7 shocks on my KFR converted TC4, but for the price they are hard to beat. They feel smooth (I used 40wt AE oil) and I have no leaks so far (I've had them for about a month now).
Changing the O-rings in the shock lowers and using AE Green Slime makes a huge difference and I recommend this be done right from the start. AE shock lowers (#1777) will work and are longer than the ones supplied and you can use a 4-40 bolt to secure the shocks to the suspension arms.

Not as nice as a set of TRF shocks, but still decent for $30 USD shipped.

Last edited by SteveM; 04-01-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:17 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Default Yeah Racing Shocks

Originally Posted by mleemor60
On the Yeah Racing shocks. Which of the various lengths offered are the correct ones for the TC-4 tub or Team, standard or C/F shock towers? Will the Associated springs fit or do you have to use the included springs? Is there a rate chart included with the kit? Thanks
I bought the 60mm's. The shock body is the same size from bottom to the center of upper shock mount eyelet.

Stock AE springs are 24.4mm long and YR's are 29.8mm's long.
Stock AE's are 12.8 ID and the YR's are 12.8 ID.

Attached are photos of AE and YR side by side for size comparison, a photo of the YR soft on an AE shock, and a photo of the 60mm's installed on the rear with the ride height set to 5.5mm. On the front's the adjuster is right at the top and that's what's limiting me.

I've got droop set to 8mm for some experimenting that I'm doing and I feel that it affects spring position. In other words, I think the adjustment collar will be lower with less droop. (I'm a newb so I could be wrong about that. lol)

I don't see why you couldn't use the AE springs on the YR's. With the 60mm's I think it might actually be ideal from an adjustment perspective. Adjustment ring would be right in the middle of the shock body I think. I'll try it this weekend if I can.

I tried to calculate the spring rates in RC3 last night with no luck. It's tricky. So, since I have access to an Instron tensile tester, I'm going to measure the YR spring rates this weekend and report back.

Last edited by JC3; 02-27-2018 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Submitted before posting pics.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SteveM
Changing the O-rings in the shock lowers and using AE Green Slime makes a huge difference and I recommend this be done right from the start. AE shock lowers (#1777) will work and are longer than the ones supplied and you can use a 4-40 bolt to secure the shocks to the suspension arms.

Not as nice as a set of TRF shocks, but still decent for $30 USD shipped.

Not sure I know what a shock "lower" is. You referred to it twice so I doubt it is a spelling error. I am ruefully deficient on shock knowledge. I would like to learn more.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

FYI....
I just rebuilt a set of blue threaded TC4 shocks. I used the Assoc.upgrade kit P#31123.The length center to center between mounting holes is 56mm. I just measured a TC4 plastic shock 55mm. I also measured the TC6 shocks I am currently using 55mm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.