Like Tree222Likes

Team Associated TC4

Old 02-17-2018, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've installed the TC3 steering rack on my Kaizen conversion. Might be a while before I can test it though. I've also got my custom rear shock tower, which is the same geometry as the Kaizen one but with the body posts relocated. Please excuse the front body posts in the picture, I was just testing the body alignment before the proper posts arrive.

THEBIGBULL likes this.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:54 AM
JC3
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Teamhotrods View Post
A more expensive option... who doesnít like spending money is

Thatís part 1 of 2 on this option.

Or this looks to be a replica of the FT mount
Yeah, at almost $200 for everything it's definitely a less attractive option, especially in light of the others out there.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:07 PM
JC3
Tech Regular

Default Yeah Racing Shocks

Just finished building my Yeah Racing shocks. I got the 60mm's to try out after reading about the 55mm's being a bit short.

Only my second time building shocks so it took a while to get right but they turned out great. I went with the standard two holes, about 7mm of rebound, and will use the blue/red springs for starters. They are a vast improvement over the threaded body TC4's with the stock internals, but this is expected no doubt.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to mount them and what hardware I need since the ball studs/cups supplied with the shocks are the 4.75mm size and all metric.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Just finished building my Yeah Racing shocks. I got the 60mm's to try out after reading about the 55mm's being a bit short.

Only my second time building shocks so it took a while to get right but they turned out great. I went with the standard two holes, about 7mm of rebound, and will use the blue/red springs for starters. They are a vast improvement over the threaded body TC4's with the stock internals, but this is expected no doubt.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to mount them and what hardware I need since the ball studs/cups supplied with the shocks are the 4.75mm size and all metric.
I think you'll need to use the metric hardware as I don't know of any brand that does the correct ball size with imperial threads. Screwing into the lower arms shouldn't be much of a problem as they'll just cut new threads, but you will need fresh arms if you want to go back to the imperial hardware. For the upper mounts, you should just be able to use metric versions of the stock hardware there too. You won't need fresh towers though if you want to switch back to the old shocks since they're secured with a nut.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:29 PM
JC3
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
I think you'll need to use the metric hardware as I don't know of any brand that does the correct ball size with imperial threads. Screwing into the lower arms shouldn't be much of a problem as they'll just cut new threads, but you will need fresh arms if you want to go back to the imperial hardware. For the upper mounts, you should just be able to use metric versions of the stock hardware there too. You won't need fresh towers though if you want to switch back to the old shocks since they're secured with a nut.
I'm shopping for the hardware now on TQRacing. I'm thinking: 3mmx15mm screws and some 3mm nuts should do it. The upper ball studs will thread on to the remaing threads and lock right down. Like you said, the lowers, I'll just drive into the old imperial hole. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I'm shopping for the hardware now on TQRacing. I'm thinking: 3mmx15mm screws and some 3mm nuts should do it. The upper ball studs will thread on to the remaing threads and lock right down. Like you said, the lowers, I'll just drive into the old imperial hole. Thanks!
I reckon something like a 3x10mm screw plus Tamiya 53640 would do the trick.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:54 AM
JC3
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
I reckon something like a 3x10mm screw plus Tamiya 53640 would do the trick.
Thanks for the info, that's a good number to have.

The YR shock kit comes with upper and lower 4.7mm ball studs/nuts just like the 53640's. I ordered some 3x14mm cap screws and 3mm nuts. With that, I can keep the stock configuration (distance to tower using the black spacers.)

I'm off to my local hobby shop this morning to return a set of VTA wheels/tires that I bought there. One of them is so out of round that even after trying for a while I can't get the thing fixed, plus it looks like the rim is wonky too.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tonightís project was focused on my Kaizen converted TC4. Today I picked up a TC3 that included a bunch of extra parts so I decided to use some of them. I swapped the blue aluminum driveshaft for a TC3 graphite driveshaft (with proper drive cups of course). Once that was snug I also swapped the rear axles Iíve been using, which were the NTC3 steel axle assemblies (asc2402) for some lightweight aluminum assemblies. Iím not exactly sure which ones they are, the asc3888 or 3889 but theyíre more narrow of a diameter than the ones on my other TC4, and they are the darker blue. The fronts wonít be getting the blue treatment since I run the tc7.1 DCV on this car. I cleaned and installed some PTFE bearings as well since I have a bunch from the TC3 sale. I have some blue turnbuckles to install on my tub TC4 tomorrow if I get around to it.

Todayís score!

New (old) parts going on

Aluminum vs graphite

All buttoned up
Old 02-25-2018, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think that's actually a graphite driveshaft, the official TC3 one was a composite material.
THEBIGBULL likes this.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

This one is definitely not a composite material (maybe the ends but thatís it), the shaft itself is a carbon/graphite material. I have three of them now, and they all make the carbon fiber ďsoundĒ when tapping my front teeth. I havenít weighed them yet but they are lighter than the aluminum shafts I have also. I will snap some more detailed pics when I get a chance today.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Best I could snag at the moment, you can definately see the carbon fiber weave. I believe the TC3s I picked up are the factory team kits so there are some pretty neat parts in there.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

More fun today! I installed some blue turnbuckles and a blue motor heat sink and aligned the tub TC4. I also cleaned and inspected the newly acquired TC3, Iím still deciding on what direction to take on it - or even if I want to keep it haha

Too bad we still have about a foot of snow on the ground here, I really want to take them for a spin!

Let the fun begin!

All three of the lovely ladies.

Blue turnbuckles and motor heatsink now installed.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fircrest View Post
Best I could snag at the moment, you can definately see the carbon fiber weave. I believe the TC3s I picked up are the factory team kits so there are some pretty neat parts in there.
That's the stock composite TC3 shaft. It has a weave pattern. The Factory Team TC3 upgraded shaft was aluminium. They eventually discontinued the composite shaft and replaced it with aluminium in all their kits.

Here's the composite shaft from my TC3 Racer kit (basically same spec as the RTR but in kit form)

Old 02-26-2018, 07:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well balls.

I thought I scored something cool haha. I've been reading some OLD threads on here and everyone called it a carbon shaft, and that it's 3 grams lighter than the aluminum one. I'll drive it around when things dry up here and see if I like it more than the aluminum one.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just read that the shaft is three piece, the shaft itself is carbon and the ends are composite that is pressed/glued in. Still neat to me haha

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service