Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Servo

I have a tc4 rtr and want to install a low profile servo. I tried to put an Alturn one in but it wouldn't fit, it was fouling the chassis. How can I overcome this ?
Old 02-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So how large of a pinion could you fit on there?
Looks like it will go way out which is a good thing considering the internal ratio.

Originally Posted by PJRacer
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my new motor mount for those looking to build a Diggity DC4

This motor mount has the following features
  • Allows the motor to slide in from the side without having to balance the screw on the tip of your screw driver.
  • Angled down to allow the motor to sit lower
  • Motor can slide all the way in to touch the center shaft allowing for smaller spur gears
  • Low profile allowing top of motor mount to be flush with top deck on Diggity DC4.
  • Easier access to screws for tightening
  • Reduced material to keep the weight down

The attached picture has a 55 Spur installed on a DC4

Can be found here
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/tech-innovations?li=pb

Update: The motor mount does fit on the FTTC4 but requires the Top Deck stand off on the motor side to be removed permanently.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

I use a 55/40 combo, Based on the measurements I just took it should fit with a 72/40. will try make some time to fit the 72 later.

What combo did you have in mind?
Old 02-23-2017, 11:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Okay so this is what I found regarding Pinion sizes

With the 55 Spur I can fit pinion sizes from 31 to 40, 41 is possible but a bit tricky because the pinion gets in the way of the screw,

With 75 Spur I can fit 22(smallest I have) to 40 Pinion.

The smallest Spur I can use is a 52 with 35 to 40 pinion

So what this means is you can get an FDR anywhere from 3.25 (52/40) to 8.5 (75/22),

What chassis do you have DC4 or FTTC4?

Last edited by PJRacer; 02-24-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default DC4 Motor mount temporarily unavailable

Just wanted everyone to know I have had to temporarily remove the motor mount from the store.

I have had a rejection for the stainless steel model. I removed some material to bring the weight down but this caused it to fail printing. I have rectified the problem but would feel safer if I waited for the prototype to be printed and sent to me for checking before making it available to you.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 32819toon
I have a tc4 rtr and want to install a low profile servo. I tried to put an Alturn one in but it wouldn't fit, it was fouling the chassis. How can I overcome this ?
Without more information, I assume that the servo horn is probably rubbing on the chassis, possibly the cross brace in front of the chassis?

The first thing to make sure is that you have properly shimmed the servo in the car. The stock plastic servo mounts came with thin and thick 2 hole shims. These are used to move the servo more forward on the chassis so that the servo horn/ball stud is at the proper orientation. If you have access to the manual, the section on installing the servo has a list of servos and which shim(s) to use. If your servo isn't listed, you will have to figure out which shims (if any) to use.

If the issue is that the servo is too low and the horn is rubbing on the chassis cross brace, then you could always use the shims to raise the servo up until it clears that chassis. If you are using the stock servo arm, you may want to do this anyway so that the steering geometry/location of the arm ball stud is at the proper height.

Here is a link to an exploded view of a TC4 where you can see the servo mounts and the shims...

https://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/c...ing_tc4rtr.pdf

----------

Of course you can always modify the chassis to get the servo to fit.

The TC4 tub chassis car was designed with full size servos in mind, so you may need to modify the chassis to get a lower profile servo to work to your preferences. You may need to remove any area of the chassis that is interfering with the servo. If you have access to a file or rotary tool, it shouldn't take too long to modify the chassis. Remember to remove as little material as possible.

The TC4 tub chassis was designed with foam tire touring car racing in mind, so the chassis is very stiff overall. Removing a little material shouldn't affect the handling of the car as long as you don't make the chassis look like swiss cheese.

----------

One final thought about servos. Many people like to change out the stock servo horns on their r/c cars with aftermarket parts. If the replacement horn places the ball stud at a different location than the stock horn, it will affect the throw of the servo and/or cause binding. Always make sure to take measurements of a stock/supported servo (horn) before installing any aftermarket parts so that the steering geometry works properly.

I should add that some people change out steering components with aftermarket parts or parts from other kits to purposely change the steering geometry on their cars. R/C drift enthusiasts are the best example as they require extreme steering angles to achieve the desired handling.
THEBIGBULL likes this.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks Indy. I also tried to fit a Kimbrough servo saver, but that won't fit either. I re-installed the kit servo as it cane out. I'm planning on running it in tc tomorrow. I bought the car for outside , but am running it inside on carpet tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Changed from 48 to 64 pitch for a finer tuning in VTA.

With some chassis and motor mount modding was able to get 88/90 spur and 55 pinion.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...tc4-jrx-s.html

Ralph 289 selling those sought after Losi LCD driveshafts, I would have snatched them up myself but I don't need them, as I already have a spare.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Guys,

Thought I would share what progress I have made on my DCV/LCD conversion using what is available today.

This conversion required some custom design of new hub carrier and Steering arm, Other parts included the following

Schumacher MI6 Steering Hubs ($8)
Schumacher MI6 Kingpin ($7)
Hobbyking Double Joint CVD ($10)
4x 4x7x2.5 Flange Bearings ($1.50 each)
4x wheel bearings and crush tube

My Custom Designed parts
Steering Arms ($9)
Hub Carrier 0/2/4/6 Degrees ($20 for full set)

The TC7 DCV's also work instead of the Hobbyking parts but cost a lot more.

The Steering arms are not required if you are using the Schumacher steering arms, but the Schumacher arms change the geometry of the steering and I wanted it to be as close as possible to the original geometry.

I have also created a short version of the steering arm which makes it a bit more aggressive (1.5mm shorter)

Total conversion cost about $60 but requires no major Dremel work, the steering also now has a lot less slop than the stock steering.

I'm just waiting for the final prototypes to arrive from shapeways before I cab make them available.

testing so far seemed positive.

Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC4-hub-carrier.jpg   Team Associated TC4-parts.jpg   Team Associated TC4-steering1.jpg   Team Associated TC4-steering3.jpg   Team Associated TC4-hub-carriers.png  

Old 03-03-2017, 05:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here are more Pictures.

Will post pics of the samples when I receive them from shapeways
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC4-steering2.jpg   Team Associated TC4-steering-arm.png  
Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...tc4-jrx-s.html

Ralph 289 selling those sought after Losi LCD driveshafts, I would have snatched them up myself but I don't need them, as I already have a spare.
I snagged these
Old 03-04-2017, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MontanaMaxx
I snagged these
Jealous..... If anyone else have some Losi 3344 please let me know. I'm new to the Tc4 family. I'm running 25.5Tc with mine. So far I'm really having a great time with mine.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Joe Maxey; 03-05-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:50 PM
DMD
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by PJRacer
Here are more Pictures.

Will post pics of the samples when I receive them from shapeways
Looks amazing. Anxious to see the test results. 👍🏻
Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Working out final kinks on this one... The base part that attaches to the motor is the same for both FT and std mounts...

Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC4-tc4-mm-dual-test.jpg   Team Associated TC4-tc4-ft-mm-dual-test.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.