R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #1246
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just received my BMI car and it's really nice, looks like alot of thought went into it's overall design. That being said I have a couple of questions. First, the pods don't seem to be lowered as much as my CRC pods, is there a reason they weren't lowered any more? Second, it seems the wheelbase is a bit shorter than my Yokomo YRX12, does my Yokomo have a long wheelbase or is the BMI a bit shorter than normal? These aren't gripes, just questions.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #1247
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the rear axel height was determined by what size tires would work. Basically if it were any lower, it seams that the smaller tires would loose tracktion. Wayne can do into more detail. but that is the story in a nut shell

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:05 AM   #1248
Tech Elite

oh, by the way, I put the bmi into the a main and the us pan car champs in san antonio this past weekend. the car worked great. the driver not so great. the car had more to give, but I was chasing setup all weekend. I guess that is the difference between carpet and asphault. need to get better at that. I know jason will be getting a call or 2 about the bmi conversion.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
Old 05-17-2005, 10:08 AM   #1249
Tech Champion

Yeah but why not lower it and let people decide if their tires are too small? I've never heard of anyone complaining that the pods weren't high enough so why do we need all the adjustments up there? slam it baby
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 05-17-2005, 10:13 AM   #1250
Tech Elite

what happens if you want to run larger tires with lower pods then? I think it was a compromise of the largest and smallest tire that maintained good tracktion

Old 05-17-2005, 10:41 AM   #1251
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Matt,
The pod plates were designed so you couldn't run below 1.73". All the testing we did with the chassis the car would loose traction at the end of an 8 minute race. The car wants to carry more speed and it needs the traction the full run to do so, so we decided to set the pod plates so the rear end wouldn't break free at the end of the race. There have been many requests for even lower pod plates, so Jason will have them ready soon. The BMI ones are not as low as CRC, they are inbetween stock and CRC. Another issue that came up was the spur gear would be too low, you have to run below a 96 so it has clearance. But like I said, Jason is working on some new ones for you guys

Theisgroup,
Good run at San Antonio. Jason has a good asphalt set up and I have a good carpet set up. We're gonna get it up on his website soon! If you need any help give me a PM!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:44 AM   #1252
Tech Champion

sg1- thanks, I guess I need to run the car before I can make any assumptions on what it needs any comment on the wheelbase? is it shorter than "standard" 1/12 cars?
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 05-17-2005, 10:59 AM   #1253
Tech Elite

i started with jason's setup. but the track is on a slope that falls away from you when you are on the stand. And i noticed that the car got looser as the day got hotter. On carpet, the tracktion is fairly consistent once a groove exist, but on asphault, it changes throughout the day. I need to learn more about adding steering in small increament on a 1/12

Old 05-17-2005, 12:18 PM   #1254
sg1
Tech Elite

Matt,
From what I remember, the Yok wheel base is longer then most for ashpalt racing. The BMI is just a tad shorter then the L4. Part of the reason it turns in faster. It makes setups a bit tuffer, but when on the car is much faster threw the turns. Give it a try, just remember to drive it aggressively. It will turn in and carry speed.

Theisgroup..
Did you try different tractions? Tire traction and tires seem the most important changes you can make during the day. Battery position will play a big part too. What traction and tires did you run?

Wayne
Old 05-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #1255
Tech Elite

i was running purple up front all day and pink in the rear. I started the day with 1/2 paragon on the front and full rears. I actually went to 2/3 front and full rear. for battery i just had the batteries full front.

I was told something about shimming the t plate at the rear pod or at the front pivot ball. since 1/12 is new to me, i was not sure what that would do.

yang

Old 05-17-2005, 01:41 PM   #1256
sg1
Tech Elite

Yang,
Purple fronts are pretty aggressive, you can try plaid or 2x pink. A softer t-bar would help, or you may have been way to soft and the weight transfered too fast and the car would break free. Trinity red dot traction would give more bite then paragon. Maybe a softer center spring, which did you have? There are many possibilities..lol.. Post exactly what you had and what would happen to the car. Make it easier for me to take a guess at
Wayne
Old 05-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #1257
Tech Elite

1 degree camber
0 toe and tried 1 toe out
.063 t bar
purple front
pink rears.
.20 front spring
center is stock spring.
ride height was 4mm all the way around.
servo was mounted on the assoc servo mount
i did move the mount to the front so that the steering links were more 90 degree to the center line of the servo.
10 caster blocks.

in the mornings the car was fast and transitioned well. I was .2 second off of pace. but by afternoon, the car would not make corner as well and seam to push more going into the turn. I did try double pink and also magentas, but there were not as fast.

the guys I talked to were all using purple fronts at the track. the place is smooth for asphalt.

also, I was using a protoform speed 8 and a parma zytek. the speed 8 seams to stablize the car more, but seam to be alittle slower around the track. the zytek was fast, but you had to be on top of the car all the time or you would be somewhere you weren't suppose to be.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:27 PM   #1258
sg1
Tech Elite

Yang,
Mounting the servo flat will increase stearing. I run it like that all the time. You could also try going to more dampening in the center shock and the silver spring. Adding a 1/2 more deg. of camber would help some too. Using 2000 or 3000 wt. oil on the dampner plates and adding rake to the chassis. Try .5mm higher in the rear. Trimming some of the rear of the body off will free up the car some. It sounds like what happens when racing carpet here. At the beginning the car is dialed as the day goes on and traction builds up the car tends to push. You need to eliminate rear traction. Those are some ways I do it.

Wayne
Old 05-17-2005, 05:35 PM   #1259
Tech Elite

thanks wayne. I will remember those next time. One thing on the dampener fluid. I have not run it with the bmi, but on the stock l4, i noticed that as you get further in the race, the car changes characteristics. I figured that was the dampening fluid basically getting sqeezed out from under the dampener. I know the bmi has the channels. do the channels help keep the dampening a little more consisted through the 8 mins?

i guess you are right about carpet, now that I think about it. we just normally run the car a little loose at the beginning and then it comes in later in the day. Since this was my first asphault outing, i had the car dial at the beginning of the day and then chassed setup the rest of the way. lol

Old 05-17-2005, 05:43 PM   #1260
sg1
Tech Elite

Yang,
With oil from 100 to 3000 wt. it will stay the same for 8 minutes... If you go lighter then 100 wt. it starts to wash out all over the top plate...lol...
Wayne