R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-28-2005, 08:45 AM   #1156
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I saw them this morning! You did some creative work on it!! I hope you can post a pic on here of it.
Wayne
Old 04-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #1157
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Merciless
Big tires are cool, i just don't want to have to throw them out so fast just cause there getting down alittle.

Cheers, but i know what the adj.'s are for and how to use them.

I usually just take a mm or 2 off from new use them for a few club race nights till i get them down to 46/47 then save them for events but when they go down to 45mm or so i like to be able to use them again for club nights where possible just to save the 's

there's no fun i buying tires all the time just cause i can

Anyway if the lowered pod is possible that'd be really kool and i'm sure they'd sell !!
It might make a welcome up-grade for new kits as using the spacers to raise the axel ain't all that bad on the Knife i used to run
Have you tried the IRS lowered pod plates? IRS also makes rear axle ride height adjusters in 5 mm increments so you can get your rear ride height just right. They also make lowered front AE control arms. CRC makes some new ride height adjusters for the front as well. I use all of these parts as well as other IRS & CRC products.

Check them out.

http://www.teamirsrc.com/podplates.html

http://www.teamirsrc.com/podplates.html#rideheight

http://www.teamirsrc.com/caster.html

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...article&sid=29
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:35 AM   #1158
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i believe the problem is that the bmi will not take any one else's pod bulkheads but bmi's

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:22 AM   #1159
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

I was also under the impression i had to use the BMI ali. pod plates as i have CRC ones but am sure they don't fit

I also use the 0.5mm increment adjusters and agree there very good

Thanks for trying

Rod
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #1160
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Merciless
I was also under the impression i had to use the BMI ali. pod plates as i have CRC ones but am sure they don't fit

I also use the 0.5mm increment adjusters and agree there very good

Thanks for trying

Rod
Will the CRC aluminum motor pod plates fit the BMI lower graphite motor pod plate? If so, then it's just a matter of the BMI top plate having four mounting holes and the CRC left side aluminum pod plate only having three holes. That's an easy fix. Just run a longer screw up through the CRC left side plate until enough of the screw sticks out of the top of the pod plate, cut a threaded aluminum stand off post to fit between the CRC pod plate and the underside of the BMI top plate. Problem fixed.

I ordered my BMI conversion about four weeks ago but I have not received it yet. (they had to cut out more parts) I can't imagine that they would total move away from the "standard" 1/12th layout for the motor pod.

Correct me if I am wrong?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:23 PM   #1161
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know what you guys are talknig about I have a bunch or tires under 1.75" that I can't run. Worked good when my son was running his other car because he could run but now that he has a BMI car also..........

I'm not sure about the hole layout of the bottom plate. Another issue is the BMI pods are shorter so everything is lowered. That's why the motor is flush with the bottom of the bottom plate and the top of the top plate.
The taller CRC or IRS pods wouldn't be a problem if you run tubes, but if you run disk then you would have to use a taller center post like the Associated damper disk post. Just guessing, don't have my car here to look at.
I have my car apart right now though. I have some CRC pods and can check it out tonight and see if it would work.

take care
john
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:09 PM   #1162
Tech Adept

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks Wayne and Crashby, I will try what you both recommended. Ill get out to my LHS tomorrow and get my hands on a KO servo (Hope they have stock).

NuckingFutz, ill see if I can get the softer tyres as well.

Ill let you guys know how it went after Sunday 

Till later
PJ
SA_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:23 PM   #1163
Tech Adept

Default Compound

BTW

I used deathgrip as my compound, anything else you guys would recommend?

PJ
SA_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #1164
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to NuckingFutz Send a message via Yahoo to NuckingFutz

ive been using paragon ground effects (in the black can) but ide like to hear how ya made out

Jason
NuckingFutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:53 PM   #1165
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hmm,i ran my tires down to 1.68 and was at almost 3mm ride height.i will look into this though.we went away from all of the other pod plates styles because in all honesty,we didnt like that design.symetrical bracing is extremely important in the rigidity of the rear pod.i find alot of the other ones i see very bulky and makes it hard to put the motor in and out of the car.i can look into lowering the ride height adjuster but this will make it necesary to cut more off your tires from the start.i already start mine at 1.875 rear and run them down to 1.725 and am able to achieve my desired ride height.i will see about doing lower axle pod plates for you guys if you like.

SA Racer,
for your set up,try this:

pink rear tires
purple fronts
.022 front springs
olive center spring on shock and 30 wt. oil in the shock
.075 T plate
1000 wt. oil in dampening washers(1/8th scale diff oil)
5mm ride height in rear of chassis
4.5mm ride height in front of chassis
5mm pod ride height and make sure the pod is level with you ride height gauge.set the shock collar to just touch the spring on your shock at full extension and set your pod level by adjusting the ball cups on the shock.this is very critical.do not crank down on spring or you will lose your droop setting.
10 degree castor in front(5 deg,or 0 deg. if you find it too aggresive)
1 degree camber up front
servo on angled mount
speed 8 body(parma)

let me know how it goes.i run this set up on asphalt in 19 turn.

jason
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:03 PM   #1166
sg1
Tech Elite

Hey Everyone...
The BMI lower graphite pod plate will not accept any other side pod plates. The screw position was moved to get the lower pod shaped so the motor can be easily taken out with a gear on. The pod plates are off set inbetween the stock ones and the other manufactures lowered ones. I'm sure even lower ones can be made up, there seems to be alot of interest for them. I'll talk with Jason about them

SA_Racer...
Can you get Trinity red dot tire traction?? One other thing I was thinking about, the middle shock length. When you snap the shock on, with the chassis sitting flat on a table with no tires, is the length of the shock approx. 3/32" longer then the ballstud distance? When the car is set, you should have back travel "droop" in the shock. I try to get the chassis at a .5mm rake then see how the top of the pod plate looks. It should sit flat and be able to be pulled back. If the piston is bottomed out you'll have the problem you were talking about!
Old 04-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #1167
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by protc3
hmm,i ran my tires down to 1.68 and was at almost 3mm ride height.i will look into this though.we went away from all of the other pod plates styles because in all honesty,we didnt like that design.symetrical bracing is extremely important in the rigidity of the rear pod.i find alot of the other ones i see very bulky and makes it hard to put the motor in and out of the car.i can look into lowering the ride height adjuster but this will make it necesary to cut more off your tires from the start.i already start mine at 1.875 rear and run them down to 1.725 and am able to achieve my desired ride height.i will see about doing lower axle pod plates for you guys if you like.
Wow! A manufacture who wants to work with the racers?!? Your making me light headed!!

Now I really can't wait to get my conversion kit! You would not happen to know when that might be shipping, would you? It's one of the titanium colored kits. I ordered it by phone about four weeks ago.

Thanks!

s-
Old 04-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #1168
sg1
Tech Elite

Jason...
You beat me to the post....
Old 04-28-2005, 04:21 PM   #1169
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by sg1
Hey Everyone...
The BMI lower graphite pod plate will not accept any other side pod plates. The screw position was moved to get the lower pod shaped so the motor can be easily taken out with a gear on. The pod plates are off set inbetween the stock ones and the other manufactures lowered ones. I'm sure even lower ones can be made up, there seems to be alot of interest for them. I'll talk with Jason about them

SA_Racer...
Can you get Trinity red dot tire traction?? One other thing I was thinking about, the middle shock length. When you snap the shock on, with the chassis sitting flat on a table with no tires, is the length of the shock approx. 3/32" longer then the ballstud distance? When the car is set, you should have back travel "droop" in the shock. I try to get the chassis at a .5mm rake then see how the top of the pod plate looks. It should sit flat and be able to be pulled back. If the piston is bottomed out you'll have the problem you were talking about!
Well... If that is the case and the IRS/CRC plates will not work and BMI is serious about making some lowered aluminum pod plates, sign me up for three sets, to start with. I am sure that once the guys at the track get a load of this beauty, they are going to be on the phone to Florida pronto! And, since BMI seems to have a soft heart, CAN WE HAVE THEM IN MAGNESIUM?!?

Ok. I promise not to be greedy.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:57 PM   #1170
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Quote:
Originally posted by protc3

SA Racer,
for your set up,try this:

pink rear tires
purple fronts
.022 front springs
olive center spring on shock and 30 wt. oil in the shock
.075 T plate
1000 wt. oil in dampening washers(1/8th scale diff oil)
5mm ride height in rear of chassis
4.5mm ride height in front of chassis
5mm pod ride height and make sure the pod is level with you ride height gauge.set the shock collar to just touch the spring on your shock at full extension and set your pod level by adjusting the ball cups on the shock.this is very critical.do not crank down on spring or you will lose your droop setting.
10 degree castor in front(5 deg,or 0 deg. if you find it too aggresive)
1 degree camber up front
servo on angled mount
speed 8 body(parma)

let me know how it goes.i run this set up on asphalt in 19 turn.

jason
Yeah Yeah

3 sets needed here too !! (honestly mate's got one as well as me and we have a "spare" between us)

I'm sure there's a sweet spot there some where when you can get away with running nearly new tires ok with a lowered pod and also be able to run really worn tires too ??

I never had any trouble when running The CRC ones on my Knife but then again i,ve never wanted to be under 4mm ride height either !!

Thanks for the positive responce Jason and as you can see there just going to fly out of your workshop when production starts

Any chance of being at the front of the queue ?? ??

Thanks

Rod
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote