R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #901
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

JohnB...
Did Santa show yet Call me if he shows tonight!!
Wayne
Old 03-24-2005, 10:23 AM   #902
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not yet. I'll see tonight.
take care
john

Last edited by JohnB; 03-24-2005 at 10:28 AM.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #903
Tech Elite

Wayne - You really are one cool dude. Thanks for the parts, hit me up with the pricing asap so I can get a check out. I ran yesterday with the pod plates(losi 100wt) and batt's foward and it handles even better now. I also started using niftech compound, it took a few runs for it to soak in and start working well.

What front end setup are you running right now? I'm using 10* blocks with all shims back and .20 front springs.

Perry Caswell a local fast guy has been interested in my bmi since I got it. He ran it once when I had it setup with tubes and said it ran like his crc. I got him to run it again last night with plates and he said that the car handles great but that my radio is to slow(jr). In a few weeks when I have some money built up I'm going to buy a ko. Just as a note Perry got 3rd in 12th masters at the hobby chambers roar nats race last weekend beating Eli Ezrow. It will be interesting to see if he likes it enough to buy it. As of now he's running an L4 with a t-force conversion.

http://hobbychamber.com/results%20na...%20Results.HTM

Cheers,

Matthew.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 03-24-2005 at 02:21 PM.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #904
sg1
Tech Elite

JohnB....
I'll be waiting

Fatdoggy...
I'm waiting on Jason for pricing... no hurry... I liked the plates better then the tubes, felt more consistant to me. Did you see the pic of JohnB's car a page back with the 3 shocks?? I ran that set up in mod with a 9 double. WOW!! Not bad!! I have the new front end on with 10 deg. uprights. Left side 2 shims in back and right side shims split. The a-arms are not all the same and give different castor. I had .02" springs in also, but coulda used .022 with the 3 shock set up. I love the niftech traction. As soon as the bottles come in I'll have tire cleaner A trick I picked up racing 1/10 oval Tell Perry more kits should be available by next week!! Maybe he can talk to Jason, who knows!! Keep us updated how things are going!!

Wayne
Old 03-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #905
Tech Elite

Wayne - There is a bmi 12th kit sitting in my lhs's display case. Also just checking, the alum pod plates won't drop in an L4 right? He asked me and I said no, but I forgot to double check.

Yes I saw that 3 shocks setup, looks wild. How does it run in stock?

Cheers,
Matthew
Old 03-24-2005, 03:05 PM   #906
Tech Addict

Man, been a nasty day at work, gotta get mind back where it belongs. RC CARS!

I'm going to run the 3 shock setup with stock this Saturday. We'll see what it does. I got a good base of lap times and our track layout is really easy and fast so I should have a good comparison. My son was laughing at me calling my car the BMI10L3-12 since it looked like a 10L3 pan car with all the shocks.

I ran kind of a different front end setup last week. I've been running .020 springs, 10* blocks with 4* caster. I went to .018 springs with an additional washer on the very bottom, under the spring for more preload. Felt really good with stock and gave a little more on power steering since running stock with this car is ALL on power!

take care
john
Old 03-24-2005, 03:34 PM   #907
sg1
Tech Elite

Matthew,
I didn't try it in stock... JohnB will be Saturday. Those pod plates do not fit the 12L4. I'll be trying it in stock next week
Wayne
Old 03-24-2005, 07:47 PM   #908
Tech Elite

John, Wayne - I'm looking foward to hearing how it runs in stock.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:55 PM   #909
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Wayne - The postman delivered the #4 ride height spacers yesterday...all were there, thanks! My rear tires are at 1.76" now and with a 98 tooth sput and the #4's they spur actually is lower then the bottom pod plate. Is that a problem on carpet? I'm getting about 4mm ride height in the rear. You said 1.74" rears you start feeling the car float?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:06 PM   #910
sg1
Tech Elite

Hey John...
Glad the post man made it!!! 1.75" to 1.73" The traction started to fade at the end of the run. If you have 2mm or 2.5mm under the spur you'll be fine. Are you going to run stock, 19t, or mod? Where you getting the 4mm at the end of the chassis or pod?
Wayne
Old 03-24-2005, 08:15 PM   #911
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

19 turn mainly. I'm measuring 4mm at behind the axle.

Need to cut some new rear tires (god I hate that, the 1/12th rubber is so crappy in my truer...it doesn't cut like 1/10th tires) To get some good life out of them what size should I start at??
Old 03-24-2005, 09:21 PM   #912
Tech Addict

No postman here today.
I'm sure weight will come up about the extra shocks, it crossed my mine so I got my scales working. My car is 810 grams with the three shock setup, just like in the last picture. That was with a light weight Speed 8 with enough color to look painted (it weighs 41 grams). What's the limit 794 grams? It was 804 grams with damper tubes.

take care
john
Old 03-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #913
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnB
Here's a picture of another experiment. We'll see what the outcome is.
take care
john

Old 03-25-2005, 05:02 AM   #914
sg1
Tech Elite

Juhn F..
In 19t most guys ran a 88 to 90 spur gear here.. The track is 110 x 55 or so.... You can cut the tires bigger and change ride hgt. adj. and shim the front a-arms so you can keep the 4mm clearance, but all that rubber will make the car tippy feeling and not roll as smooth. Esp. in the front!! I wouldn't go more then a 1.82 to 1.83 in the front... In the rear I've run up to 1.88 to 1.90. The only problem with the shimming of the front a-arms is that you have to shim/de-shim the ball stud to maintain the proper turnbuckle angle so your bumpstear doesn't get affected. Try setting your clearance up like this... Put on fresh cut tires, no tweek screws, and have the shock set up to be approx. 1/8" longer then needed and set the collar to just touch the spring. In the front measure inbetween the a-arm screw and the body mount screw on each side. If it's not the same, put paper shims under the a-arms to make it the same (make sure your front springs aren't sagged out). Usually I start the day at 4mm to 4.25mm there. Then measure the back just in front of the screw for the standoffs. So you're only doing the chassis. If you get the front level side to side, then the rear will follow. Do you ever get a 1/2mm different side to side?? It's the front lower a-arms. Once the chassis is set to .5mm higher in the rear, now you can double check the shock and pod position. With the chassis at an angle, the top of the pod plate should be flat. I check it with a level sitting on top of it. Try not to adj. the spring pressure on the shock to get the proper chassis clearnce. Iether do the ride hgt. adj. or tire diameter. It's a pain, but once you get it set, the rear pod droop is set and you know what to cut the tires to everytime!!
Wayne
Old 03-25-2005, 05:08 AM   #915
sg1
Tech Elite

JohnB...
We need to get Jim to make this speedo lighter!!! I don't remember off the top of my head the weight, every track I've been to has been different... lol... I usually don't worry about it... lol.. If you hit 1 wall the weight won't mean a thing!!!!
Wayne