R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2004, 08:08 AM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I have a 1/5th TC in my collection, yes it has the disk brakes... (they're actually a pain to get balanced) I got my first car in 1976 and here I am 28 years later and still going... My oldest son is 5 and he's already got an E-maxx, Micro RS4 and my old RC10T... Now I have my second child on the way so I know in the coming years I'll be buying more RC stuff... I'm looking forward to the 3 way race between my sons and myself...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:19 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabe Boudreau
I will quit when St. Peter beats me in a grudge match race in heaven!

LOL

I hear Jesus regularly TQs on the high track.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:19 AM   #18
Tech Master

Exclamation

I will only quit on this hobby when my son beat me on the race and when he beats me in setting up r/c.. !!

other reason is when I can't buy a single parts of my r/c..
Wency_TA03R-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:35 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wency_TA03R-PRO
I will only quit on this hobby when my son beat me on the race and when he beats me in setting up r/c.. !!

other reason is when I can't buy a single parts of my r/c..
Will Never quit RC!!!!!

Maybe I will reconsider it, when the day comes, Wency shows up on track and race with us and his Son beating me!!!!!
Peace Bro!!! Hope we could finally meet you on the 5th!
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:43 AM   #20
Tech Master

Talking

Doc lem no problem wish I could be there on the 5th.. By the way my son is just going to his 2nd year birthday.. Its gonna be a long time for him to settle the race bet. us..
Wency_TA03R-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:05 AM   #21
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

I guess I would call it quits when it came to the point where I'd have to choose RC or something else and the something else is more rewarding. For example, my friend just sold all his stuff and bought a '67 Mustang Fastback for $4500. He's been slowly restoring it and it's coming along. He realized he should get out of RC when it took serious contemplation on his part to decide whether to spend $50 on an alignment for his real car. But he'd easily spend $50 on a new motor or some batts or hopups. I've spent between $2K and $4K per year on RC in the past 6 years. I don't know if I could never get myself to dump RC altogether but I figure if I found something as rewarding as restoring a classic muscle car, I'd say bye bye to this hobby.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:20 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

The day it stops being fun, I'm out.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:31 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
I guess I would call it quits when it came to the point where I'd have to choose RC or something else and the something else is more rewarding. For example, my friend just sold all his stuff and bought a '67 Mustang Fastback for $4500. He's been slowly restoring it and it's coming along. He realized he should get out of RC when it took serious contemplation on his part to decide whether to spend $50 on an alignment for his real car. But he'd easily spend $50 on a new motor or some batts or hopups. I've spent between $2K and $4K per year on RC in the past 6 years. I don't know if I could never get myself to dump RC altogether but I figure if I found something as rewarding as restoring a classic muscle car, I'd say bye bye to this hobby.
Funny you should say that........

I told my wife about aquiring an FG Modelsport F1 car, the 1/5 scale, when I get back from Iraq. As I drooled over the shots of the car, my wife was looking too. She thought the car was the same size as the rest of my cars and when I told her how big and detailed it really was, she was really interested........

Then she saw the price.

So she reminded me that if I can spend 1,400 dollars on that F1 car, then I can spend 1,999.99 (her favorite statement) on a bigger diamond ring for her!

Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you.

Wonder if I can get a discount, on the ring of course!

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:44 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Talking

I've been racing since the late 70's when I graduated with a break of about 6 years when the kids were little.

Recently 2 things have happened which is changing my outlook on racing, I no longer make the A finals at the big meetings and my youngest son is a damn sight better then me! Currently he's the U14 British TC 27T Champion and just took the Junior award at the KO Grand Prix last weekend.

Seeing as I spend more time wrenching for him (and watching him race) ahich I enjoy, maybe it's time to retire my thumbs and get more involved with getting the best out of his car..

...or maybe not
TraceRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:52 AM   #25
Tech Adept

When I can afford to build my ultimate car (E28 BMW 5 series dragster with Chevy 350ci small block - street legal), i'll pack in serious racing to pay for that.

But since i'm 16 and jobless, that'll be a long way off!!!

I'd love to have a go at 1/8th circuit before I pack in though, those things are beasts!

Liam
Liam_Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:00 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

Ill call it quits in rc if:

theres no more innovations to be discovered in rc... i mean everyone thought the 3000 nimh batteries were the best... then came along 3300 and now 3600... whats next? 4000?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:13 AM   #27
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

As we get older we have to organize our priorities... For the last 10 or so years I've been a backyard basher. I'm starting to race again because I have the time to devote to racing again... I will never completely sell off my RC stuff, I put it all away every so often though... Sometimes we need a break...

Unlike my RC's, unless I lose use of my hands I will never have to give those up... I'm 34 and I'm retired for good... People think it's the greatest thing and some others resent me because I am retired. What they don't seem to realize is I'm retired because I am unable to work anymore... I was a Cop until a very bad car accident disabled me for life. My scars aren't external, they are internal so looking at me you'd never know... I know every day of my life and another car accident could make a parapeligic out of me... Then the RC's go...

I'm forced to give up a love of mine bigger than my RC's, my motorcycles... It sucks when you need to get rid of a hobby to fund another... But when you have to give up a hobby because you can't physically do it, it's even worse...

We all get frustrated with these little cars and yea the hobby costs money... My real Corvette has been sitting under the cover for months because of my frustration with it... You think RC's rip you off??? Try getting a part for an old Vette... Even if it's the simplist little thing, as soon as they here it's for a C3 Vette the price triples... The Mid Year's (63-67) are even worse...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:44 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The first time I quit was about in '93 when I hung up my transmitter, I was about 15 and couldnt get enough money, or get to a track more then twice a month.

I picked it back up after I got my lisence and got a full time job.

The second time I quit, I had a choice....go to college or keep R/C and snowboarding. I gave up both to pay for college, and promised never to pick either up until I had a diploma.

Well a year out of college, I picked up a used TC3 parts car and now im back in the game.... I dont see myself quiting for a while now....

Its funny because I got into real cars and was custom fabriacting a turbo kit for my car and building an engine. You guys think $4G's a year is a lot? Try rebuilding a trashed engine to take 12psi of boost, then ripping out the computer in favor of a standalone engine management.....then get it all stolen and stripped down to the frame

Anyways...I didnt want to touch anouther car after that fiasco, so I bought me a Subaru Grocery getter/track transport and thought Id get back to racing 1/10th scale to keep me from touching my full size car. I still am looking in the engine bay of my full size car and think.....gosh a bit of pipe and an afternoon of wielding and Id have boost.....but then my G/F slaps the back of my head.
Speedyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:47 AM   #29
Tech Regular

If i give up it'll be when i'm not having fun any more or when i'm dead and buried 6ft under

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:36 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to ALBERTO Send a message via Yahoo to ALBERTO

When there's nothing else to buy!!!!!!!
ALBERTO is offline   Reply With Quote