Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Stock Motors,  where is the innovation? >

Stock Motors, where is the innovation?

Stock Motors, where is the innovation?

Old 07-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Stock Motors, where is the innovation?

when I started racing 2 years ago the best stock motors were the Monster stock and P2K2,

now these two motors are still the best there are (apparently)

there have been plenty of refinements in modified motors (orion V2, team checkpoint, EPIC shock) but none of this technology has moved down to stock motors.

it just seems like stock is moving nowhere, and considering the number of people racing stock is higher then modified (at least in Au) the manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot.

does anyone else feel the same way?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

lets just say... everything is illegal in stock motor.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The innovation in Mod motors doesn't translate well to stock. Stock Motors are all about making the most out of the limited spec that governs the 27turn 24 degree limitation. Modified is about making effecient Horsepower.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In the states, all the new technology will put the car above the $40.00 retail price and then violate the ROAR rules... That's why you don't see it here in the states.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

for most of the big races Au follows ROAR rules as well,

I am sure Orion could put together a machine wound V2 with bushings for less then $40,
Old 07-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Regional Moderator

One of the true inovators of RC motor technology passed away a few weeks ago. Big Jim Greenmeyer, He had some prototype motors developed for Reedy they couldn't get the job done. Now it's design is owned by Team Brood and under testing. So possable stock motor improvements are coming your way. Look to Team Brood to lead you to the light. 4 national championships in 1 year.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Orion could use the sport version V2 end bel(used on their machine wound modified motors)l on the stock and still keep the price under the $40. But with the cost difference of machining the aluminum and having it anodized would not make it possible to keep the stock under the $40 limit while using the aluminum end bell.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It doesn't have to be machined, or anodized. Just mold it, and spray paint it, and I'll use it. I think most others will too... But what I really think is that the manufacturers ARE able to sell the motors for under 40, they just don't want to.
-Josh
Old 07-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Even if they could do it price wise, it wouldn't have any real performance advantage....Just longer lasting brushes.......The stock motors today are close to being as fast as some of the popular mild mod motors that we ran back in the early 80's, so things are progressing , but just not fast enough for you to see it happening in the two years you've been racing.......Any of the brushed motors (stock or mod) have reached a level where performance gains and "true" refinements (not the gimmics) are fairly far and few between, partly because of the roar price cap that was mentioned earlier...... even the aproximately 5 year old reedy TI mod is still winning at many of the top races around the world
Old 07-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

Not forgeting that "stock" means different thing to different pple !

For you guys it means 27 turns

For us in Asia it means 23 turns

And then there's the new 19 turns ? ...I dun even know if it's called stock anymore !
Old 07-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think it's funny when stock racers complain that the motors are too slow. Isn't that why 19T racing has become so popular? or even step up to mod
Old 07-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

I believe there are still lots of ways to improve stock motors without deviating from the base design of the motors.

Pattern winding, brush technology, bushing technology are some of the ways I can think of now. Stock motor tech advances in more subtle ways than modified motors.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I don't know about stock motor rules in Singapore, but for our stocks its hard to get the machine to do pattern winding.

Matt - You are right on with that comment.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
I don't know about stock motor rules in Singapore, but for our stocks its hard to get the machine to do pattern winding.

Matt - You are right on with that comment.
Yeah, if machines could do pattern winding that'd be cool. Anyway I was just hazarding some ideas. 23T motors have evolved with new bushings which allow the armature to spin more freely though they'd have to be lubed more often.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Handwound stock motors. If we can get them handwound, then maybe the motors would be more equal b/c QC is better. That might eliminate some of the dud motors. Like about half the stockers I own.

I'm assuming that handwinding would make it easier to make the motors more equal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.