R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Tamiya Porsche 959/Celica GrB

I am sure there will be plenty of people around who have/had or love this car(s). I have two and try my hardest to keep them alive at any cost.

Truth is they were never designed to be competitive, tough or upgradeable. That means you're pretty much on your own, and even though parts are still floating about, they can at best help you return the car to its former (fragile) glory.

My own runner chassis stands testimony to that. I have bought it used and already had the infamous front gearbox split where it attaches to the chassis tub. I bought a new gearbox off ebay, replaced it and it split at the first bump with no effort. The design there is just woeful.I reinforced then one of the split gearboxes using strips of fibreglass PCB.

Next, I replaced all the horrible plastic bearings with ballbearings, including the tiny little ones for the counter/idle gears in both gearboxes.

Another problem that bugged me was the limited choice of wheels/tires for these cars. Yes, you can use splined hexes from Tamiya, but I also wanted to go for a stronger driveshaft, as the originals are soft as butter and a few of mine are already bent.

I tried various options for converting to normal pin hexes, but the outdrives don't take the later, larger driveshafts. I had to hone the holes to accept 6mm dogbones. Now there is no driveshaft that is the right length.

Tamiya doesn't make anything between 30 and 39 AFAIK, 30 is too short, 39 too long (center to center). 34mm would be ideal.

If anyone knows of a Tamiya (or other company) dogbone that would fit the Tamiya CVD axles please let me know. That would allow me to return to using the original outdrives I have honed out (it would look better too).

I then swapped the outdrives to TA03 (kit) soft outdrives machined at the spider gear end (2mm) and spaced out to give some extra length, and used the little red foams to keep them from falling out. The intention was to use the current CVD shafts for M chassis cars from Tamiya. The axle though was not long enough to go through the original knuckle. I replaced the front knuckle then with an aftermarket Square knuckle for TA05, machined the standoffs for the king pins (took 1.5mm off either side in my lathe) and using Allen grubscrews of the right length I loctited inside threaded Yokomo 6.8 balljoints (machined the hex shoulder off) to the knuckles. Now, everything is perfect. The Yokomo balljoints are the perfect diameter and height so the geometry is exactly the same as per original knuckle.

I have now CVD on the front which is great, but the suspension arms are just horribly soft and fragile. They split at the lower shock balljoint hole as soon as you insert them (I have replaced some with new items, but they all know this trick).
Short of having CNC arms machined does anyone know of a better solution?

Another mod I have completed (but this was long ago) is replacing the original shocks which are oh well, shocking, with Tamiya TRF TC shocks on custom made PCB glassfibre shock towers.

Hope all 959 lovers are somewhere close by and chip in.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 03-11-2011 at 12:45 AM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Just want to share my love with ya brah..

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I am sure there will be plenty of people around who have/had or love this car(s). I have two and try my hardest to keep them alive at any cost.

Truth is they were never designed to be competitive, tough or upgradeable. That means you're pretty much on your own, and even though parts are still floating about, they can at best help you return the car to its former (fragile) glory.

My own runner chassis stands testimony to that. I have bought it used and already had the infamous front gearbox split where it attaches to the chassis tub. I bought a new gearbox off ebay, replaced it and it split at the first bump with no effort. The design there is just woeful.I reinforced then one of the split gearboxes using strips of fibreglass PCB.

Next, I replaced all the horrible plastic bearings with ballbearings, including the tiny little ones for the counter/idle gears in both gearboxes.

Another problem that bugged me was the limited choice of wheels/tires for these cars. Yes, you can use splined hexes from Tamiya, but I also wanted to go for a stronger driveshaft, as the originals are soft as butter and a few of mine are already bent.

I tried various options for converting to normal pin hexes, but the outdrives don't take the later, larger driveshafts. I had to hone the holes to accept 6mm dogbones. Now there is no driveshaft that is the right length.

Tamiya doesn't make anything between 30 and 39 AFAIK, 30 is too short, 39 too long (center to center). 34mm would be ideal.

If anyone knows of a Tamiya (or other company) dogbone that would fit the Tamiya CVD axles please let me know. That would allow me to return to using the original outdrives I have honed out (it would look better too).

I then swapped the outdrives to TA03 (kit) soft outdrives machined at the spider gear end (2mm) and spaced out to give some extra length, and used the little red foams to keep them from falling out. The intention was to use the current CVD shafts for M chassis cars from Tamiya. The axle though was not long enough to go through the original knuckle. I replaced the front knuckle then with an aftermarket Square knuckle for TA05, machined the standoffs for the king pins (took 1.5mm off either side in my lathe) and using Allen grubscrews of the right length I loctited inside threaded Yokomo 6.8 balljoints (machined the hex shoulder off) to the knuckles. Now, everything is perfect. The Yokomo balljoints are the perfect diameter and height so the geometry is exactly the same as per original knuckle.

I have now CVD on the front which is great, but the suspension arms are just horribly soft and fragile. They split at the lower shock balljoint hole as soon as you insert them (I have replaced some with new items, but they all know this trick).

Another mod I have completed (but this was long ago) is replacing the original shocks which are oh well, shocking, with Tamiya TRF TC shocks on custom made PCB glassfibre shock towers.

here are my collection that I can't let go, and collected some part from the web (1 runner, 2 shelf queen, and 2 parts car)

www.abchobbyusa.com
Follow us in Twitter and Facebook : Abc Hobby USA
ppabalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Well? ppabalan, now is the time to tell niznai you have 32.5, 34.5 and 36.5 CVD axle bones for your ABC GOOSE.
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Lucky guys you are have these cars. Would love to see a rerelease of them.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry White View Post
Well? ppabalan, now is the time to tell niznai you have 32.5, 34.5 and 36.5 CVD axle bones for your ABC GOOSE.
Hummm... Barry White u gave me an Idea let me try if it works

which one here you think will fit

http://www.abchobbyusa.com/hopuppartsforgoose.aspx
www.abchobbyusa.com
Old 03-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUnlimited View Post
please don't release rere these model, it will drop the value, just like what happend to my Scorcher after puttin a lot in it ($$$$$) just to restore the big T rere it... bummer.
www.abchobbyusa.com
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
do you have our goose?
www.abchobbyusa.com
Old 03-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUnlimited View Post
Naaah, you can buy these still on ebay, some BNIB.

Investing in these cars for their collectability is a bad idea always, as you have noticed already. That's one of the reasons I don't care to keep shelf queens (horrible name).

But a re-release won't happen because as I said the car is too complicated and inefficient. If anything, it would be nice if it was updated and re-released. There is so much wrong with the original though, it is not worth it, there would be a lot to update and it would end up being a completely different chassis. Come to think of it, the TA01 chassis they came up with is probably the updated version, still somewhat complicated (pointlessly) but a lot better. I have managed to shrink one of those to the size of a Tamiya mini chassis only so I could run my beloved Alpine bodyshell on it.

Nope, these cars are well and truly dead as far as mr Tamiya is concerned. Perhaps in their time they were an exercise like the Bugatti Veyron, they did it to see if it was possible, a white elephant dead from inception. The mid diff is one proof they didn't think it through properly, as it is just as useless as it is nice and intricated (read cumbersome) and impossible to adjust. I am telling you, this car needs re-engineering from the ground up.

A new release of the Porsche 959 in true 1/10 scale would be welcome though. (And FFS, Tamiya, a BMW 2002 Ti Alpina, how hard can it be?).

I will check if the Goose driveshafts fit if nobody can measure in the meantime. Good idea, I didn't think of it.

Some of those Goose parts are already available, the carbon version comes with pretty much everrything except the aluminium suspension blocks and for the price difference is worth going for it. The suspension blocks are however overpriced in ABC version, and the Yokomo SD fit perfectly and are cheaper.

I ditched the 2s battery in my Goose and use a saddle pack. Across the chassis, the 2s just hung out too far for my taste. A saddle pack lengthwise is brilliant, but I guess the market is not ready for it.

Last edited by niznai; 03-16-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppabalan View Post
Hummm... Barry White u gave me an Idea let me try if it works

which one here you think will fit

http://www.abchobbyusa.com/hopuppartsforgoose.aspx
Whichever is going to be 34mm or closest from pin to center of the eye.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
Tech Addict

I don't own a Goose but I wa looking for replacement shafts for my HARA PRO3. Japanese site says 32.5, 34.5 and 36.5mm so I think the medium 1?

I think you never know with Tamiya what they bring out again. Look @ the Avante. Very very nice but it broke down just by lookin' at it (original that is).
Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
I don't own a Goose but I wa looking for replacement shafts for my HARA PRO3. Japanese site says 32.5, 34.5 and 36.5mm so I think the medium 1?

I think you never know with Tamiya what they bring out again. Look @ the Avante. Very very nice but it broke down just by lookin' at it (original that is).
That's true, but in the case of the Porsche/Celica kit, the re-issue would probably be so expensive nobody would buy it. Sure, they can still re-release it as a "special anniversary edition" or some crap like that, limit the run to 10 kits and sell them for a gazillion bucks, but I still believe they'll end up on ebay for 29.95, hehehehe!

Well, either way, if I lay my hands on anything, it will be put together and run mercilessly. I'll ask questions after that.

I had a look at the ABC Japan site, but can't see where they give the dogbone sizes, could you please post a link?

PS. I found the driveshaft bones, now who knows how I can buy them off the american site? the problem is they don't allow Australia as destination country for international purchases.

Last edited by niznai; 03-16-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
Tech Addict

http://www.abchobby.com/productpage/goose_options.htm
Old 03-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

Talking Fast little car

This car is absolutely amazing, I put a kyosho 480t motor in and it flys down the road. I bought a pair of drifting wheels for it as well as the derby ones that come with it. I went to a local hobby shop and they orderd a carbon fiber kit for it and the thing is beast. Check out my YouTube channel for some action of it. Look up theshreddude on it for videos
TamiyaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but has anyone found a confirmed source for replacement dogbones on the 959?

I'm missing a front one and am super bummed about it.
Haadkoe is offline   Reply With Quote