R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #121
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
Wifes, if they just went away there would be a lot more racers.
LMAO!
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #122
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,586
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

The VTA rules are not changing anytime soon. They had to be changed because were VTA is popular, racers were going away due to the speeds and tire wear.

If you think that "going slower" is bad for racing, there is no hope for on road. Ever increasing speeds across the board are hurting on road.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #123
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 862
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperbill1963 View Post
we just had a race in mobile at the cancer society chili cook off if front of 125k people that attended this event so we had flyers for the local hobby shop and race events for the local club we had a lot of questions and the tv coverage was great too..look for community events and see if ya can get a few racers to put on a race and get the exposure ,the race is a lot of fun
No, WE had an event in Mobile...you didn't show up. See my thoughts about this from page 2 of this thread.
Serzoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #124
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 222
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

As someone new to RC racing I would like to add my $0.02 to this thread. I think there are a couple things that would help attendance at races. First, someone needs to promote the races. I've never seen an advertisement for any of the local races at my LHS. You can get the info if you ask but if you don't know it even exists how are you going to know to ask? Second, cost is a factor but not for all classes. This is where the need for promotion comes in again. If a new racer is put off by the initial cost of getting involved with TC then it would be helpful to know that other less expensive classes are out there for them. Finally, if it wasn't for the information that was happily given to me by some of the more experienced guys at the track I'm sure that my first visit to the track would have been my last. There is a lot of information for a newbie to sift through in this hobby and without the guidance of the more experienced guys a lot of new people are going to walk away. One more thing, more novice classes would be great. Nobody wants to feel like they are "in the way" during a race but if you're new and you're on the track with the fast guys there is a good chance that that is how you're going to feel. Like anything, the only way this hobby survives is by adding new people. It should be very easy for new people to get involved.
Delawareguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #125
Tech Master
 
Matthew_Armeni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,514
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Two big things I think that could be hurting on-road are having too many classes and being forced to go slower. There seem to be classes designed to cater to certain skill levels, boosted, non-boosted, mod, RCGT, VTA, and on and on. Why not have only two or three classes? Or group them together as someone stated earlier (like Le-Mans).

As far as speed, who doesn't want to go fast? I know I do The amount of rules created to slow cars down is surprising (to me, at least). I understand that a fast car is harder for a beginner to drive but no one is saying they have to drive it that fast, gearing, endpoints, expo, etc. can all be used to tune down a car and make it easier to drive. And as someone stated earlier, people need to come to terms with the fact that not everyone can be in the A-Main.

A class that's really picked up around here is the 1/8th GT electric. I believe some factors of its success are the openness of the rules. Any motor, battery, and ESC is allowed. We really only regulate the body, wheels, and drive-line.
__________________
Tekno RC
Matthew_Armeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #126
Tech Elite
 
theisgroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,191
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

people just need to get over the cost issue. that is just not the issue. i understand that people think that a $500 sedan is expensive, but i would be surprise if any person that jumps into off road and only spends $250-$350 on a startup rig, does not spend $1500 by the end of 12months of racing. the fact is any hobby that people spend time doing consistently over a year is going to cost money. on road may cost more then off road, but that is really just the initial entry cost. after that you spend a but load. I woudl bet i spent more my first year, then my initial investment.

cost is not an issue. we have prob 5-6 new racers in the last 6 weeks. most spent the $500-$600 initial inverstment to jump in. i would not be surprised that 4-5 of them will still be racing something within 6month. the fact is, your prob don't want people that have a hard time coming up with the initial inverstment, because, well they could not afford the ongoing cost. racing and rc cost money and you want people with a level of discretionary income that can afford to spend to stay racing.

I run my own business and contract to several fortune 500 companies. I can tell you that moeny is being spent and people are willing to spend money. you just got to give them a reason to spend it.
__________________
yang lai

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #127
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

IMO I think it comes down to what class is the funnest one to race in, cause if your not enjoying yourself racing with other people then that class will die out.
s.l.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #128
Tech Elite
 
vr6cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 4,052
Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)
Default

We are reviving our sedan class here locally this summer. All we are doing is getting a few of us local "off-road" guys to race onroad that nvr have before. I started bringing my T2'009 out to the offroad track and people were like drooling over it. So a few bought some of the used sedans off here and now we got more peeps. We are going race Sat morning off-raod then Sat night onroad. Going try to get a series together too. Also going with a spec tire for the guys that dont know what tire to buy too. :P
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #129
Tech Fanatic
 
jammincrtjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 969
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=theisgroup;8786219] the fact is, your prob don't want people that have a hard time coming up with the initial inverstment, because, well they could not afford the ongoing cost. racing and rc cost money and you want people with a level of discretionary income that can afford to spend to stay racing[/QUOTE

yep
__________________
NEXUS RACING www.nexusracing.com | FANTOM RACING www.fantomracing.com
ORCA www.orcarc.com | TURTLE TRAX / www.turtletraxraceway.com
--------------------------------------------------
"If you're not first...you're last!"
jammincrtjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #130
Tech Elite
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Things like VTA are not the answer for everywhere, I'm running on a big outdoor nitro track, you need some speed to keep it interesting.

Tracks have to find something that works for them, I think this is a big factor, there is possibly a perception you can have a class that will work 'everywhere', but I just don't see that as true, cause if it won't suit the track size/style or traction, people just won't come if it's not right or fun to drive.

Right now for our track, we are trying to create a class that just works, being easy and fun to drive, with as few quirks as possible, so far this means 10.5 zero, and foam, as that combo works here.
Will the class succeed though?, who knows, but it deserves a go, and the previous formulas were dead here.


Oh and a major gripe of mine, modern body shells, seriously if it does not look like a real car, why the hell are we using it?, and every new shell now looks less like anything, it's kind of sad.
__________________
QRCCRA
www.qrccra.org.au
www.facebook.com/englandparkraceway
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #131
Tech Elite
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casino Kid View Post
Has anyone considered that some or most of the clubs when running race meetings forget about the middle to bottom end people that pay the same money to enter and end up short changed by only having 1 final (4 heats , 3 Finals for A Main and rest 1).
Now if you have travelled 2/3 or more hours to an event, it tends to turn those people away from the sport.After all they just want to have some fun.
Now there are clubs that run 3 finals for everyone which is great. So why don't all clubs do this, even if they have to cut heats back to give everyone the same amount of track time. I know here in Australia there is definitely a TOP TEN mentality with clubs and drivers.
just my bit
thanks Steven.
I have a bit of a gripe against Interclub over that, we want to lure new comers to those events, but at the same time we screw them of $45 and give them 5 min finals, seems horribly unfair to me, was shocked to find it's been done like that for years, lame.
__________________
QRCCRA
www.qrccra.org.au
www.facebook.com/englandparkraceway
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #132
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
the fact is, your prob don't want people that have a hard time coming up with the initial inverstment, because, well they could not afford the ongoing cost. racing and rc cost money and you want people with a level of discretionary income that can afford to spend to stay racing.

I run my own business and contract to several fortune 500 companies. I can tell you that moeny is being spent and people are willing to spend money. you just got to give them a reason to spend it.
People are willing to spend money, but if you shock them with the cost before they have a taste of some real fun then you will scare people away. Even people with a few bucks in their pocket. All that you say is true, But the newcomer, the one who is just walking up and taking a wif of the action, they are gonna bolt if they see the price before they can taste what we do.

God gave RC to you! Put it in the soul of everyone.

I keep hearing that VTA is not the answer. And then others say have you tried VTA. I hear racers dont want to go slow and I think racers just want good close door to door action. Differrent racers want differrent things and I have to say that for some people, some clubs VTA is in fact the answer. For those of you that VTA is not the answer, I am mildly interested in what your question is. It must be differrent than mine.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #133
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

How about dirt? Off-road with no jumps.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #134
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,996
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

A bunch of us simply walked away because of price. Manufacture's have gotton out of hand with the price of just the kits. The 417 is ridiculously priced. True the kits are more advanced than they were back in 99 but we also had a bigger selection to choose from. Anyone remember Kawada??? When I jumped into sedan we had the street weapon, Schumacher, yokomo, kyosho, HPI, AE was about to release the TC3, and Xpress. Nothing was extrememly high priced back then. Tire's were decently priced and lasted more than just a few runs. Remember the 138G or the Losi yellow?? The more I talk about this the older I feel. I said good bye to sedan this year......if it was meant to be it will come back. Until then.....22 here I come
__________________
REMEMBER THE GOOD OLE DAYS..........THEY'RE NEVER COMING BACK SO WE'RE STUCK WITH THE MESS IN FRONT OF US!!!!
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #135
RAL
Tech Elite
 
RAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,264
Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
A bunch of us simply walked away because of price. Manufacture's have gotton out of hand with the price of just the kits. The 417 is ridiculously priced. True the kits are more advanced than they were back in 99 but we also had a bigger selection to choose from. Anyone remember Kawada??? When I jumped into sedan we had the street weapon, Schumacher, yokomo, kyosho, HPI, AE was about to release the TC3, and Xpress. Nothing was extrememly high priced back then. Tire's were decently priced and lasted more than just a few runs. Remember the 138G or the Losi yellow?? The more I talk about this the older I feel. I said good bye to sedan this year......if it was meant to be it will come back. Until then.....22 here I come
Ultimate Hobbies still has a wall full of Yokomo 138g tires and a bunch of Xpress Mike Swager Edition cars for $125 bucks! I still have mine.
__________________
TEAM ARAI GRIP ● J★STYLE ● P1 BRAND ● RÄLDESIGNWERKS ● EXOTEK
RAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
QCRCCC OFF-ROAD RACING emer Manila Racers 16543 04-08-2016 01:31 AM
Revive onroad club racing...how about a nostalgia class?? Justinian Electric On-Road 63 12-10-2014 11:30 AM
On-road racing june 6th hairy Georgia Racing 40 06-06-2009 07:39 PM
Asphalt RC Track- how to build, treat, maintain, organize events, etc yyhayyim Electric On-Road 31 06-29-2007 04:33 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:21 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net