Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't think anyone mentioned VTA yet.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i think you just need to look at ETS for the answers to this question

0 timing 13.5 stock with fixed gearing and 1 type of tyre

mod open and a TT01 class with 13.5 speed passion basic motor and cirtix , great to watch
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAL View Post
These cars are really interesting. Its basically a 1/12th scale car with rubber tires and RCGT bodies. Using a 2s 7.4 1/10th scale pack.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

If you don't know who's on the mic then you should take up trains...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Pretty tame speeds, I suppose the extra capacity is purely for run time .

I'd rather do this than VTA, those shells are awesome and you don't need a very big track. Thanks for posting this.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Ohhhh Darkside....someones asking for you !!

Apparently a larger font may be in order this time.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #50
Tech Elite

You could always go with the "Keep it simple, stupid" philosophy. Cut the rules to a minimum and have your core drivers inforce the more unwritten rules, like VTA.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #51
Tech Elite

You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In the 80s it was usually a single class, and run what you brung. So much fun, and no complaints of cheating.

If I was a beginner, I would not buy a new car just to try out racing (e.g. vta, 1/12). I would like to race whatever car I already have.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Revive On-Road Racing-boyels86.jpg   How to Revive On-Road Racing-boyelsrc86.jpg  
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRXRACER99 View Post
out in the mid west we have plenty of on road racers but not nearly as much as off road though
Are you kidding. Off-road tracks are popping up all over the place. Crystal Lake, Pekin, Kewanee, Decatur, Peoria, Joliet, Marengo. Just to name a few and that doesn't include dirt oval.

Now let's list the on-road tracks, Joliet, Winthrop Harbor, Danville, Carbondale, Underground and a few parking lots.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
In the 80s it was usually a single class, and run what you brung. So much fun, and no complaints of cheating.

If I was a beginner, I would not buy a new car just to try out racing (e.g. vta, 1/12). I would like to race whatever car I already have.
Same thing in the 90s. Limiting to one or two classes will expand the participation rather than diluting the field with too many choices. Give someone a lot of choices and more often than not they choose nothing.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #55
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

Time to go back to basics...

TC's are fast, but too fast for a newbie not to break and too expensive to repair. We had a kid start racing with us, started with a short course in the summer. The winter when we came inside, he decided to buy a TC6. He wasn't prepared for the amount of maintenance, his parents weren't prepared for the pricetag, and now he only shows up every couple weekends if we're lucky.

I don't know who sold him the TC6, that's not the point, but I believe TC has really muffed things up... VTA is no better, you still need a TC chassis, and even a used one costs ya in the $200 range for something "decent".

Introducing new cars to fill classes is not the answer, I don't want to go buy yet ANOTHER car to run a class, it's the reason why I didn't get into F1 this year.

It's not just electric onroad.. but in this part of the country 1/8 nitro fell off the edge of the earth in 1 season... while short course took off. Why? PRICE... who can afford $1500 to get into a class, especially in this economy? Even in the best of times, $1500 is a heavy investment into something you may not like to do...

Time to go back to basics...

1/10 WGT and 1/12 w/ maybe 10.5 at the most? These kits cost like $150-200, add a cheapie ESC and you're running for $400? Cheaper if you find something used!

1/10 Buggies and Truggies running lowered on foams also with 10.5?... Did this when I was a kid, didn't true tires, who cared.. the biggest issue was making that 4 minutes, but that doesn't matter anymore w/ lipos. Gold tubs here we come!

We had huge turn outs last summer running short course 2wd trucks on a dirt oval. Simple enough! RTR kits, a battery and for $300 out the door and on the track. SC is so popular in this area, people have been running them on carpet inside (we have been since the new year, week after week our biggest class). Get some foams for these things and throw them onto some pavement!
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #56
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Are you kidding. Off-road tracks are popping up all over the place. Crystal Lake, Pekin, Kewanee, Decatur, Peoria, Joliet, Marengo. Just to name a few and that doesn't include dirt oval.

Now let's list the on-road tracks, Joliet, Winthrop Harbor, Danville, Carbondale, Underground and a few parking lots.
Uhh, read that again.

"out in the mid west we have plenty of on road racers but not nearly as much as off road though"

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #57
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

we tried to really get a good turnout indoors at our local carpet track and you would have 1-2 good weeks and then nothing. I recall last year a local 16yr old kid that had his dad drop him off to race 1/12th that he bought on ebay. he broke every heat for four weeks straight and gave up.

lately we had a resurgence with mini coopers,tt01 and hpi cup racers and it's steadily improving. it seems that the scale appearing classed attract more new racers.

btw, i'm guilty of going the off road route this winter. I caught the short course bug.
dominick i. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #58
Tech Champion

cost?...its a hobby...doesnt mean lose the house, buts its for ppl who can afford it..and some cant....but VTA is cost friendly....Ive gave examples many times over...but simple as $300 new rtr...

HPI Sprint 2 Sport VTA RTR...$200...comes with radio,esc,motor,69 Camaro,HPI VTA tires/rims...now the esc and motor are not USVTA legal, but it can be geared to match legal speeds to help get you started...once the original esc and motor run its course...time to upgrade...

Team Novak Havok and 25.5 ss is $105...thats your leagal esc and motor that can be used anywhere and win with....

thats $305...up and running "Legal"...at many many VTA tracks across the country...with new stuff and a very good chassis, that can and does win....

so if dollars are an excuse...VTA is still one of the cheapest...if not the cheapest way to enjoy a national level racing class...that is very popular across the country and world.....in fact, its for everybody....kids,teens,adults and old heads...newbies sportsman and pros....

can you say FUN FAIR CHEAP...oh, even playing field....

All I will say is VTA isnt your cure...you must not be sick...lol
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #59
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Ohhhh Darkside....someones asking for you !!

Apparently a larger font may be in order this time.

2,105...VTA....LOL
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #60
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Last year my club took a pretty hard hit. The hobby shop we raced at closed. Lucky for us we owned the carpet and were able to buy the timing system. It also helped that one of the racers owned an empty building.

Since we got setup in the new building attendance dropped off a little from previously. We have a wide variety of skill levels and we have several new racers that are just getting started. Some thing we did is allow a run what you brung class. Another thing that we are doing is a full blown novice class which is also a run what you brung, but with a throttle limit. And the 3rd thing we are doing is a Sportsman TC class. Which is an non-boosted 17.5 class with a FDR limit of 5.0.
2xs is offline   Reply With Quote