R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #226
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950 View Post
It would help if a raceable RTR was available.
This.

I just got started in RC cars again. Bought an HPI Sprint 2 Sport. Then proceeded to spend ~$500 to get it to VTA spec. So about $700 to have "average" equipment running in a popular class at the local track.

My kids got interested and since I new a little more, I was able to put cars together for them for less, but still more than the $200-$300 you'd spend on a RTR.

I understand that VTA spec crosses vendor lines and that it would require a pretty major effort by the vendors to make VTA legal RTR cars because of the way the rules are written.

In talking with friends who show interest after seeing my cars and pics and videos of the racing many are turned off by the amount of effort required to get started. $500-700 and requiring them to source parts from multiple vendors and assemble it themselves is too much for many people.

A RTR class could be huge in getting interested people hooked.

An RTR class that could "evolve" into something more would be amazing.

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #227
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxMako View Post
This.

I just got started in RC cars again. Bought an HPI Sprint 2 Sport. Then proceeded to spend ~$500 to get it to VTA spec. So about $700 to have "average" equipment running in a popular class at the local track.

My kids got interested and since I new a little more, I was able to put cars together for them for less, but still more than the $200-$300 you'd spend on a RTR.

I understand that VTA spec crosses vendor lines and that it would require a pretty major effort by the vendors to make VTA legal RTR cars because of the way the rules are written.

In talking with friends who show interest after seeing my cars and pics and videos of the racing many are turned off by the amount of effort required to get started. $500-700 and requiring them to source parts from multiple vendors and assemble it themselves is too much for many people.

A RTR class could be huge in getting interested people hooked.

An RTR class that could "evolve" into something more would be amazing.
I think this would be a huge step in the right direction. The past three times(race every other week) I have raced at the local off road track there has been at least one person that shows up with a RTR short course truck in an unopened box. They charge the batteries while they un-package the truck throw the batteries in and go race. There is no way you could even think about doing this in on road. For every person that does this there are 2-3 people talking to them saying they will probably go pick up a truck that week. Shoot I will be one of those guys running a fresh RTR truck at the next race. For under $300 I got a brand new truck and spare parts. All I need are the batteries and charger I already have and I am race ready.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #228
Tech Adept

I think what killed on-road racing is it is kind of the "F1" of r/c racing in where you have to spend the money to be competitive. It's the same with any form of racing of course but more so with on road, especially classes like 1/10th, touring, 1/8th nitro on road etc...

On the other hand, there are budget friendly on road classes, but they are more for fun rather than to be seriously competitive.

I guess you could kind of think of it as anything really, it comes and goes in waves. 5 years from now 1/10th could be bigger than 1/8th buggies, but I don't know how likely that is if the costs don't come down.
stevepowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #229
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
I think this would be a huge step in the right direction. The past three times(race every other week) I have raced at the local off road track there has been at least one person that shows up with a RTR short course truck in an unopened box. They charge the batteries while they un-package the truck throw the batteries in and go race. There is no way you could even think about doing this in on road. For every person that does this there are 2-3 people talking to them saying they will probably go pick up a truck that week. Shoot I will be one of those guys running a fresh RTR truck at the next race. For under $300 I got a brand new truck and spare parts. All I need are the batteries and charger I already have and I am race ready.
This would go a long way to making EP on road much more accessable it is also why the Tamiya M chassis class does very well in some places, get an RTR and go have fun.

This is not such a problem with GP, you can go buy a Hobao GPX4 PRO for not too many dollars in an RTR, throw some foam tires on it and be at the track racing after breaking in the engine.

But there is just no equivalent in EP on road, where its either kit form or race roller where you need to find all the electrics yourself. This is where the controlling bodies (ROAR, National or State) need to advocate with manufacturers in designing a product that can be taken from LHS to track in much the same way as the SCT can, to help grwo the sport, cause lets face it, it is in this market that there is much growth. The LRP S10 Blast series almost do it, but they are let down by the motor/esc combo they have in their RTR's. 21T brushed just wont cut it, they need to have at a minimum 17.5T or 10.5T brusdhless. If hobbyking can make these for $60 a set, i am sure the manufacturers can mass produce for less and put them in an RTR.

Hell, i have been looking at the SCT myself and been thinking of getting one for a while to add to my collection.

Last edited by RogerDaShrubber; 07-21-2011 at 10:30 PM.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #230
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rally kits like the old HPI RS4. You could run that car anywhere and it was fun and fast. With a few changes my girlfriend raced in novice class.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #231
Tech Adept

+1 to that M3, those kits were the best!
stevepowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #232
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

The solution IMO is simple yet difficult at the same time (Fix the economy = revive on road racing)
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #233
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
The solution IMO is simple yet difficult at the same time (Fix the economy = revive on road racing)
I would say that is more of an excuse to why on road is where it is.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
Old 07-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #234
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
I would say that is more of an excuse to why on road is where it is.
Excuse / reason Same difference
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #235
Tech Master

Quote:
Except coming up with excuses will not fix the problem. If you want to revive on road racing find problems you can control and fix them. Off road is doing okay in the "bad" economy. Find ways to get on road to do okay now and imagine how great it will be in a "good" economy.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #236
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007

First off let me say that I truly miss on-road racing for the past week or two I have been selling all of my on-road stuff and getting in to off-road. It all started when people wanted to win at all cost! Brushed motors were being worked on non stop, you had to take care of the batteries when it was a ni-cad world, then we moved on to nimh we were told that we didn't have to take care of them as much as ni-cad then people would buy more tires to have better traction and etc. It became a money pit, that is no excuse that is the truth! Now with the lipo batteries and brushless motors, things have gotten better but there were too many classes and everything got diluted. Attendance started to dwindle.......Then the hobbyshop owner didn't feel like on-road was important enough to make a new track when he moved to a new location. Racing never really brought him any money, we would have 12 people one weekend and then maybe 17 another but it never was higher but was a lot lower most of the time so his need to build another track was not at the top of his list.........

Now I started with 4x4 SCT and i bought a losi, It came almost ready to run. I bought some electronics for it and bought some of the cheapest batteries I could find and immediately I was not too far off of the leaders pace. It is the ease of starting in off-road that keeps offroad so well raced. I don't have to have the best batteries and best or more powerful motor to keep up......There is a guy running a 540 motor in his AE SC10 4x4 kicking our arses, it's all in the driving and i think that's what keeps it interesting along with having only a few classes, 2 wd SCT, 4wd SCT, nitro buggy, electric buggy and etc. On road you have 17.5 non boosted, 17.5 boosted, 13.5 or mod 1/12, and some what a speck 1/12 class. Then you have many more classes like VTA, and now GT10 and etc.

Take my word for it, to get into a competitive on-road racing, you have to buy a lot of stuff and that will still not get you to the finish line first! Just my two cents......
Old 07-22-2011, 01:40 AM   #237
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i think the ridiculous cost in on-road does not help.
last year i was racing 4wd short course, decided to give 2wd a go, brought a sc10 brushless rtr, all i did was change rear tyres, i was still bolting these rear tyres on as i was called up to qualify (brought car 20 min before start of race ) proceeded to qualify for the A finals
cant do that on road with a $300 car.

yes some of the top chassis are nice but are they really worth $500 plus
no tyres no body no electrics, yes it has carbon fibre but its fairly low grade stuff and a lot of the alloys are not that good either.
Xray T3
AE Sc10.2 AE SCB
ozzy-crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 AM   #238
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
we need to bring back mini.
I'm game...once I get my chassis rebuilt
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #239
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Its not even part of the problem, here in Australia we have low unemployment and a booming economy and we have the same issues with on road as everywhere else. So saying that fixing the economy is going to fix on road is short sighted to say the least.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:54 AM   #240
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
In 1/10th F1 your starting to see mandatory pit stops, stop/go penalties. Even 2 lap only qualifiers!!
All these little things keep things interesting.

Its just an idea.

British Menace
F1 has been doing that for a long time. The series I used to be the race director used to run a 45min main with 2 to 3 battery pit stops and this was back in the F101/F102 days.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote