R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #136
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAL View Post
Ultimate Hobbies still has a wall full of Yokomo 138g tires and a bunch of Xpress Mike Swager Edition cars for $125 bucks! I still have mine.
The xpress had a super free drive train. Better than the TC3. Do they have parts too. Might pick one up and see if I can fit a lipo battery in it and run the reedy race with it..
Old 03-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #137
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wish there was a way to revive it, but offRoad is so much cheaper to get started. You can sorta blame the manufacturers to a certain point, as who sells a 200 dollar touring car ready to go HPI Traxxas maybe, I got outa onroad about 10 years ago when it started becoming a money game. As much as I enjoy onroad racing I cant beat the price 200 for a truck, uses stock tires and speedo and brushed motor and its super competitive. There's so many rtr off road vehicle that any one can get started at a minimum cost, plus you don't have to be as precision with off road any setup works in a way.

but after reading about these WGT cars they look real neat, i would jump in feet first as long as we ran them both way at the same time. Stock would be all GT cars with production body's and mod would be Daytona prototype bodys, just like real life 4 of each car at a time. That would be so cool to see Daytona cars passing the Gt cars just like in real racing. That's my 2 dollars and 18 cents worth.
turbobuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #138
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

VTA is a good class. An old roller can be had at a good price.
F1 is also a good move since all the good cars are half the price of the new Tamiya's. A silvercan motor and a $22 duratrax esc and you have fast cheap racing. Before you decide check this out www.teamedgerc.com very cool class and reliable as well. these cars can last a long time with about as much care as a Frizbee.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #139
Tech Elite

I used to love TC but as stated above, it became very competitive and a money game. I switched to Off-Road due to there being more tracks and it's more relaxed than on-road. I still do race on-road but only 1/12 scale and WGT during the winter. I am sticking to 1/12 since you really don't need the latest and greatest chassis to race and the costs are low, other than getting single cell lipos and a booster or rx pack you use the same electronics as the off-road (RS, RX and motor 17.5). Also 1/12 scale has bee around since before I started in the 80s.

WGT is like 1/12 scale but a bit more stable. This class is growing in my area and we are seeing some great racing with these. The formula is simple, use the WGT rules and have fun. So far it's working as we get new drivers almost every week. The only disappointment here is that AE discontinued their RC10R5, big mistake, it is more durable than CRC and much less expensive than Xray, Corally or Serpent.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #140
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default VTA

VTA has its downfall with the rule changes. I know I see some here that says it's very small changes and you have a year before these changes come into effect. It doesn't matter how much time is given a rule change cost money. Extra money that every existing racer has to pay. New racers are not affected by rule changes only existing racers.

I'll give you my history, I raced many years ago and got back into racing in summer of 2009 when the Xray T209 came out. It's the only piece that I still use from 09. I went from Novak 17.5ss to Novak 21.5ss to a Novak 21.5 ballistic motor to now a Novak 25.5. I started off with a lrp speed controller it was a spec speed controller I think I spent around $125.00 for it. I ran a race where I never had one incident and the car was absolutely perfect and didn't win. I knew I had to change the speed controller and I did. I went to a Tekin which was legal at that time and was able to start winning races from that day cost was around $170.00. My local track decided to go true VTA rules this month so I had to change it to be in line with the new VTA rules so I went to a speed passion and program board. It was $100.00 and now I had to buy two new batteries 5000mah $125.00. I was using the same batteries that I've been using for tc which are 5600's but aren't legal. I have now purchased a driver figure so I'm truly now VTA legal! As you see my history you see the expense of these small rule changes. This expense is on top of the expense of just racing which is new tires, bodies, replacement parts and etc.... I'm just one racer but if you've raced since 09 I'm sure you've spent the same amount. I'm not hear to complain about VTA I love VTA and want to see it grow too, I just hope this opens up what people are spending each time a rule change is created. This expense didn't run me off, thankfully. I'm able to afford the class but it has ran a few of my friends off they just run tc now so it has had an effect on the class.
jgraham37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #141
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAL View Post
Ultimate Hobbies still has a wall full of Yokomo 138g tires and a bunch of Xpress Mike Swager Edition cars for $125 bucks! I still have mine.
Did somebody say Xpress?
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #142
Tech Elite

You guys want the answer...I have it so this can be the last post. When my permanent track is ready everyone head to N GA for the first race. Tens of thousands of onroad cars in one spot. The peeps will see it and say "Wow! there sure are lot's of onroad cars making a comeback." Just bring everything for every class you got. That will fix the naysayers! Then onroad will be king! Bring money
Old 03-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #143
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Pick 4 cities in the US and split all the country's on-road racers between them? I wonder how many people would move if they could have club races like IIC twice a week?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #144
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Not many brah...life has other priorities other than picking up the fam and the 9-5 to move to a place that has bigger club races, lol. 'IIC-type' club races would be cooler than shit though

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #145
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Pick 4 cities in the US and split all the country's on-road racers between them? I wonder how many people would move if they could have club races like IIC twice a week?
You Know something like that for east/west coast could be an idea with 4 or so races on each. Even a low crowd would be a ton of people with the right marketing.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #146
Tech Adept

Another website to check out is: abchobbyusa.com They have these beautiful 1/12 scale 4wd touring cars called the Genetic with beautiful scale bodies, and they have a 1/12 rear wheel drive car called the Goose which shares the same bodies. These cars are very high quality and sell for around $150

I own the rear wheel drive Goose and it is a lot of fun to drive! We are in the process of starting a class for these where I live.

Check out their website for a fun and inexpensive, quality on-road class!
Enforcerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #147
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
This might sound crazy but it's an offshoot of this idea. Set up a central promotional organization representing all on road racers. Racers would donate or become members of this organization. The funds would go toward promoting and creating larger events at tracks around the country.
Basically, it's on road enthusiasts chipping in to promote on road events that might not otherwise happen due to lack of funding or participation at local tracks.
Ex: a race location in California could be at the Tamiya track. The promo org. uses money derived from donations and members from around the country to promote an event on a regional scale thus attracting racers from a larger area vs. holding smaller,local events.
Simply put, we get out of it what we put into it. The more money available, the more larger events in more areas. May be crazy but it's a possibility. Hell, many of us have ROAR memberships but their focus is on administration, not promotions.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #148
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckStang View Post
Yeah, you are kind of right there. Stepping curve has to be shortened, hence why i think the blinky classes were made, ie rcgt and vta. You also mentioned that the "vets" need to help out more. Everyone likes to talk online about helping this, helping that. IMHO, it's a bunch of bullshit. Every track i went to, the so called vets were either talking up a more expensive class and talking down rcgt and teasing some of their buddies about stepping up to a "real" class, or looking like they were going to launch a space shuttle with the amount of stuff they were pulling out of their bags and plugging in. I literally watched someone plug stuff up and set up for 1/2 hour before even pulling out a chassis.

Whenever someone needs help at the track, I try to do as much as possible, but it's the "veterans" that are all concerned about taking 1/2 their car apart, adding weight, tweaking this, tweaking that, putting their car on the setup station every 2 laps they take, etc.

If veterans want to help, step down to a beginner class and start teaching the young rookies a thing or two instead of talking them into a faster class. Every "veteran" is concerned about running 10 god damn classes, just look at the Ironman thread on this section.

I tell you one thing, scale rules. It's what got me away from trugs and into SC racing and it's what got me in RCGT. Myself and a few buddies saw it, loved the looks, loved the low initial cost. Hell, I have less than 400 in my jrxs-r, but let's be realistic here. How much does it take to get into on-road....we are talking about a serious investment here. I am talking from scratch. Every bottle of shock oil, every hex driver, all the little bits that are not mentioned but usually add up to more than the cost of the car. Face it, nobody wants to go to the track with a car and controller, you need more than that.

Cost, attitudes of the so called "veterans" and the fact that 90 percent of the tc cars look the same is what is keeping people away.

Sorry for the rant, I call them as I see them. I call them as a person who just started and unbiased.
Wow, I'm glad I don't race where you do! It's not BS, I have personally missed heats at club races because I was going over a car that was desperately in need of attention, for a driver who wasn't sure why it was as bad as it was. Out came the parts box, a full rebuild, along with a thorough explanation as to the why's and what's, and a little Q&A afterwards. It's no big deal to me, as I only use club racing to test for the next big race. My best friend did that stuff for me 25 years ago when I started (and still will for virtually anyone), so I feel it's only fair that I "pay it forward". Plus, there's nothing I love more than seeing the smile on a guy's face after he goes two laps faster with a car he was ready to ebay just a half an hour earlier.

I know there are at least a few guys at The Gate, and R/CAR in Indy that will do exactly the same thing. Every track's gotta primadonna or two, that's the nature of any competitive endeavor. I just want EVERYBODY at the track to go faster. This hobby's no fun without a challenge.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #149
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

And Thunder RC in Nashville
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #150
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 5thscaleracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Did somebody say Xpress?
I think someone did!!!

I have 4 of them running updated with the new electronic goods and lipo packs.

It holds its own!
5thscaleracer is offline   Reply With Quote