Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TC4 picture (+cliff lett) >

TC4 picture (+cliff lett)

TC4 picture (+cliff lett)

Old 09-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by rayhuang
The Main question I have for guys like Tony Phalen-is the tendency for the Tc3 and now Tc4 to be whicked fast-but inconsistent still there. And to be much more detailed.

I hve always felt that the TC3 is a tiring car to drive. By that I mean-you always have to stay on top of it and always making little corrections every foot around the track. YOu dont knw your doing it really-but any lapse in concentration leads to a missing a corner either hit a little early or maybe push a little wide. Yes it rewards with a few whicked fast laps and a good run, but it seems other cars achieve the same sort of speed-only more consistent on lap times and easier to drive.

Ray
In order to be really fast with the TC3, you had to drive the car on the edge. The car needed to be really twitchy and ready to break loose all the time. It's really nerve-wrecking, to drive that way. Its bad enough, having to worry about what the others drivers are doing and trying to navigate the track(as if, that wasn't enough!:rolleyes). You also, had to worry about your car being fast BUT unpredictable. Its almost like driving your car after you just crashed / got hit and broke something, but not broke enough to be out of the heat. You know something's wrong with the car but you don't know what and you have to drive the car a certain way because its going to do some funky things, if you don't.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

Default TC4

Does anybody know if when you pre order these kits, that they are the top spec will they be bringing out a "Factory TEAM Kit" later on?
Old 09-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

They said that there going to release the factory version at a later time maybe a year from now.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

It is a team kit, not a factory team, or a racer kit. i have seen them run at socal raceway, & from the looks of it you dont need no stinking graphite!
Old 09-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

who have you seen run them at socal? What was your impression of the car?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:31 AM
Tech Regular

So, what does the Team kit not have, that the FT kit WILL have?

So far I've only been able to think of a few things:

-turnbuckles
-metal battery holder
-teflon bearings
-motor intake cooler thing
-blue screws
-bushings certain places?

But from what I've read in the FAQ's the main things, which are bearings, are going to fit the same as the TC3's. Which is good because you can get Teflon-shielded TC3 bearings for 35$.

Ti-turnbuckles and Al-screws... blah.... poseurific.

Looks like the Team kit is actually a good compromise unless it comes with crappy diff gears and crappy shocks.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by rayhuang
The Main question I have for guys like Tony Phalen-is the tendency for the Tc3 and now Tc4 to be whicked fast-but inconsistent still there. And to be much more detailed.

Ray
I, personally, LOVE the car more than my TC3. As far as driveability, it's MUCH more forgiving and you don't have to be as critical when checking the adjustments of the car.

I had a pretty bad crash at SoCal the other night that would have normally made 'checking' the TC3 a nightmare. This car, replaced the broken part, checked the tweak on a tweak station (dead-nuts straight) and through it back on the track....as good as it was before the crash. That, in my book, is a HUGE leap over the TC3!
Old 09-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by TimXLB
also after driving the modded rack on Mini's car did you still feel the same about the TC3????? I know it wasn't setup for your track put did it work any better after all the changes you made??
LMK.

Thanks.
Tim,

Yes-the modded steerng rack is a big leap forward. I sadly ran the car on super tiny tires and alsmot no front droop-so it wasnt at its best-but definately an improvement.!!

Kewdog, Tony Phalen-thanks for the input. I laugh over all the arguing about the TC3 vs. every other car. How anybody can think the Tc3 isnt still fast or the TC4 isnt going to be fast is nuts. But the cars al do have unique personalities on the track!!
Old 09-13-2004, 07:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by kewdawg
In order to be really fast with the TC3, you had to drive the car on the edge. The car needed to be really twitchy and ready to break loose all the time. It's really nerve-wrecking, to drive that way. Its bad enough, having to worry about what the others drivers are doing and trying to navigate the track(as if, that wasn't enough!:rolleyes). You also, had to worry about your car being fast BUT unpredictable. Its almost like driving your car after you just crashed / got hit and broke something, but not broke enough to be out of the heat. You know something's wrong with the car but you don't know what and you have to drive the car a certain way because its going to do some funky things, if you don't.

Exactly, I drove the TC3 for 5 years or somethin like that.... and everytime I went out on the track, pushing it to the limit was the only way to go. Other cars I saw like the Xray or the Losi didn't have to be pushed so hard and seemed to be very easy to drive, especially the xray. Everything you decribe is true about the car in my opinion, and most would say it is one of the fastest, but just becuase there are more TC3's in the field doesn't necicarily mean its the fastest. If there are 1 losi and xray but 15 TC3's the TC3 is bound to win a race, it just works out that way

Last edited by rustler753; 09-13-2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

uuuhhh Tc3 hasnt been around for that long. 7yrs?? last I checked it came out in 2000 or 1999. definately not 1997 or 1998
Old 09-13-2004, 10:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default About the TC3 being sensitive....

EVERY car has some sort of "quirk" to it. You have to adjust your driving style to it's particular "feeling". Going from a shaft drive to a belt is a major diffference, and requires a change in the way you drive. I don't think that the car "needed to be twitchy" to handle well. I agree, the car was sensitive or agressive (depending on how you see it) but that doesn't mean you had to drive it to the edge to make it work. I think its more in the driver's head, than the car itself.

I think that the car being inconsistent has more to do with the high speed, high response servos that everyone uses. That, in combination with parts of the chassis not built correctly can make for an inconsistent car. FOR EXAMPLE: One of the major problems for novices that i have seen is in their swaybars. Most don't build it correctly and adjust correctly, causing a bad/weird tweak in the car. they come off the track feeling frustrated that the car won't work right. I tell them to take it off, and voila! the car is 10 times better!

BTW: Early reports from folks who've seen the car run (this past weekend at the Mazda Cup), say it looks very impressive.

Last edited by RCBuddha; 09-13-2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by rustler753
just becuase there are more TC3's in the field doesn't necicarily mean its the fastest. If there are 1 losi and xray but 15 TC3's the TC3 is bound to win a race, it just works out that way.
I'm glad somebody finally said it.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Mal

The TC3 made it's first showing at the 1998 outdoor nats at ripon ....
Old 09-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

fine sorry my bad....it was like around 5 years or something...change made to my signature..sheesh try making comments about the replys not the signatures.

All i know is that I've been racing with the TC3 long enought to determine that I definetly needed to push it hard and was not as consistant as the other brands that were on the track. And it wasn't because of the sway bars. Each time I went out to the track I did what every one should do, check tweak, ride height, chamber, and little extras. When I switched over to the xray, the car just felt right, it's doing what I wanted and it is very easy to tell what I need to change to do what I want.

Last edited by rustler753; 09-13-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by rustler753
All i know is that I've been racing with the TC3 long enought to determine that I definetly needed to push it hard and was not as consistant as the other brands that were on the track. And it wasn't because of the sway bars. Each time I went out to the track I did what every one should do, check tweak, ride height, chamber, and little extras. When I switched over to the xray, the car just felt right, it's doing what I wanted and it is very easy to tell what I need to change to do what I want.
Its hard to put into words how the Tc3 handles, but that was pretty darn close to summing it up. FAST, FAST, FASt car. So many different set-ups it can run and be fast. But always-weird like you described.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.