R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default 1/12 pan car q's

newb here, I just actually got back into rc with an rc10b4.1, an offroad car.

Ive always been more keen towards them since i can run them anywhere, a pan car on my local roads isnt going to go over too well, but Ive been watching videos and I think I absolutely have to get one and race it.

Few questions though

why 1/12 and not 1/10? everything seems smaller, ie, you need to shell out the extra money for the components that will fit in the car and theyre the only 1/12 style cars I know of.. woudlnt 1/10 just make compatibility easier?

lipo or nimh? Ive seen that the new rc12 accepts 1s lipo, or 4 5C batteries... surely the 5C route has more power? or does the weight difference make up for the extra cell? Im basing this on 6/7 cell 5C =~ 2S

thirdly, there seems to be a lot of cars out there, im not sure where to start really. I was quite disapointed with my b4.1 build with lots of parts being really sloppy, so I dont think I would go AE for any kind of pan car where I would think slop plays a much bigger role than it does in offroad vehicles..

thanks!
glenthemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthemann View Post
newb here, I just actually got back into rc with an rc10b4.1, an offroad car.

Ive always been more keen towards them since i can run them anywhere, a pan car on my local roads isnt going to go over too well, but Ive been watching videos and I think I absolutely have to get one and race it.

Few questions though

why 1/12 and not 1/10? everything seems smaller, ie, you need to shell out the extra money for the components that will fit in the car and theyre the only 1/12 style cars I know of.. woudlnt 1/10 just make compatibility easier?

lipo or nimh? Ive seen that the new rc12 accepts 1s lipo, or 4 5C batteries... surely the 5C route has more power? or does the weight difference make up for the extra cell? Im basing this on 6/7 cell 5C =~ 2S

thirdly, there seems to be a lot of cars out there, im not sure where to start really. I was quite disapointed with my b4.1 build with lots of parts being really sloppy, so I dont think I would go AE for any kind of pan car where I would think slop plays a much bigger role than it does in offroad vehicles..

thanks!
Here's a list of helpful links that should answer most of your questions

http://www.rctech.net/forum/7234434-post1.html

We run 1s lipo because it's the approved standard.
1/12th is THE world class racer of the pan cars, because it's quick, nimble and works well in smaller indoor arenas.

1/10 WGT200mm and 235mm pan cars come and go, but once you drive a properly setup 12th scale racer, you will know why they are still around

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

well after watching some ifmar worlds vids, i was blown away by their speed and the ability to throw them into corners with a bit of slide but all the balls and grip to slam on it and keep it pointed where you want.. reminded me of the one time I got to play with real slot cars

Im extremely interested.. I just hope I can find a track near, I have some doubt though but there has to be something around im sure!
glenthemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 1/12th pancars

the 1/12th cars have always been and they remain the top performing RC cars (at least among the electric ones). They are super responsive, really fast, and when set up and driven properly, their on track capabilities are like nothing else. These days all of the race quality electronics are pretty small, so fittment in the small footprint of a 1/12th chassis is not really a problem. Also, the cost of building and running 1/12th even at a very high level is very reasonable. But there is one notable downside. Such small cars do need a clean and well prepared track surface. 1/12 cars are not much good for unprepared parking lot racing or bashing. They are really great for racing on a proper track surface, but such a surface should be considered as a requirement if you intend to enjoy a 1/12th car. The 1/10th pancars handle much the same and they are great too, albeit a little more expensive and also a little less popular these days. The larger pancars are often a better choice for running on a less than perfect track surface. Their larger size, greater width, longer wheelbase, and especially their bigger tires make having a really smooth prepped track surface less important. If you can find a venue near you that does offer a prepared RC racing surface (especially if it's carpet), then you will likely have a great time jumping into the deep end of the 1/12th scale arena. Happy motoring.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Tech Regular

I started racing 12th the start of the indoor season here in the UK (oct) and have never looked back. We now have about 8 guys that run 12th and always a heat of 4 or more on a club night. Really close racing and great fun. Tyres are the thing to invest in and getting the addative right also.