Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
are the NTC# and the tc3 steering interchangable? >

are the NTC# and the tc3 steering interchangable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

are the NTC# and the tc3 steering interchangable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 08:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Default are the NTC# and the tc3 steering interchangable?

I made a steering rack cover and it works pretty well outside, but if you use the rally conversion im sure it will mess up. i live in florida and all we have here is sand. let me know what you think!!!

thanks
Old 08-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

I don't think it's a direct fit. You have to modify your chassis for NTC3 steering to fit your TC3.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

heres a link on the exact way to get the ntc3 steering rack it fit into a tc3:http://www.mistercrash.ca/_themes/pa...eering_tc3.htm

hope it helps
Old 08-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

yes but i can be done, im thinking about doing it because rocks keep getting stuck in their causing me to crash but if you want to do it here you can i had a link to a site that has pics and text telling you how to do it but the site is no longer alive
Old 08-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Great link, i was hoping this could be done. i think ill give it a shot!! at least if i trash my chassis i can get a new one pretty cheap.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The picture on that webste 2 posts above will not work. The Ackerman is totally jacked.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

hi,
sirspeedy: in which way will it not work?
I have used it on a original tub and it works.
Used it on a warpspeed and it works.
Used it on a midmotor tc3 and it works, and it must also work on the ntc3.
I know that is your opinion it wont work , but the fact is in reality it does.
The main advantage is in the maintinance and the freeness compared to the original rack. It doesnt get gumbed.

Would recommend it to anyone who has the tools and time to do it properly. longs it is layed out right there are no probs.

Ross
Old 08-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by SirSpeedy
The picture on that webste 2 posts above will not work. The Ackerman is totally jacked.

I have to agree with him.

Will it work, meaning will the car turn, yes. But, I must say I have 2 cars one with a NTC set up and one with a stock set up. The ackerman is so screewed up in the NTC3 that the steering feels " lame"

In my stock set up the steering is really agreesive and fits my set up better. I feel I can turn in harder and faster witht he stock sterring then the NTC one.

But... The maintenance between the two is night and day.

Stock rack you have to watch for pebles, you have to check them if you hit something cuase they can start to bind. I feel the stock rack is a much weaker design over the NTC one, but works better. The NTC rack only requires you to check the screews every so often. But, some people don't mind soft feelin steering set ups. I am actually going to switch my 2nd car back to a stock rack. I just cant beleive the ackerman, how it just destroys the feel of the steering.

But, this is just my opinion since I have 2 cars set up the same only diffence is racks.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by b3buggy
hi,
sirspeedy: in which way will it not work?
I have used it on a original tub and it works.
Used it on a warpspeed and it works.
Used it on a midmotor tc3 and it works, and it must also work on the ntc3.
I know that is your opinion it wont work , but the fact is in reality it does.
You are correct that it will bolt to the chassis, and steer the wheels.

The Ackerman angle is totally incorect. It is actually taking Ackerman out of the car, making the inside tires turn on less of a radius then the outside tires. This causes the front tires to scrub more, reducing the amount of steering the car has. On the stock steering rack, using the small .090" spacers to adjust the Ackerman is very big tuning option, and with the NTC3 rack, I would estimate by that picture, the inner ballcups are a solid .250-300" further back. This would really make the car react much slower.

On to another point, we can all do without the attitude in response to others posts. If you don't understand someones post, simply ask them to explain it. I stated in my post, "the Ackerman is jacked." If you do not understand that, ask. It is not my opinion that it will not work, it is a geometric FACT that it will not work properly in conjuction with the rest of the front end geometry of that chassis. This website is about the sharing of ideas in a friendly manner. Lets keep it that way.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Tech Initiate

some people were telling me that that mod adds to much ackerman. im still pretty new to 1/10 so im not sure. i figure ill try it, and if it stinks then ill just buy a new chassis for 35 bucks. thansk alot for all the info.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Hey, give it a shot, it may work for rally. Like you say, you can always pick up a new chassis.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

"using the small .090" spacers to adjust the Ackerman is very big tuning option" so by doing that on the stock tc3 steering rack i will get more steering???
Old 08-29-2004, 04:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Bonefish
some people were telling me that that mod adds to much ackerman.
It does.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by kh15
"using the small .090" spacers to adjust the Ackerman is very big tuning option" so by doing that on the stock tc3 steering rack i will get more steering???
It will be a more agressive feel.

Sir Speedy,

On the steering race parts tree, there are 2 spacers used to increase ackerman, why opt for .09 spacers in stead of that, more fine tunning? also do you think those are adding way to much? Just interested i your opinion or a gemotric fact.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Smalls
Just interested in your opinion or a gemotric fact.
..lol..

I was actually thinking those spacers on that tree were .090"?? Throw a caliper on one for us and see what they are.