R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Help! Old Car Identification

Okay, so i found this car in my garage this weekend and supposedly it has been sitting in there since the late 80's. I was just wondering if anybody could identify it, the chassis seems to be made of graphite. I've slapped on a motor and some old electronics on it just to see what it would do and basically the foam tires ripped right off of it. And the diff was slipping, so i took that all apart and found that it doesn't have a thrust bearing, instead it has a cone shaped "spacer" with a flat end which i'm guessing is what acts the same way except it wasn't working because the nut kept loosening. My dad tells me the tires were for racing on carpet but they are very cracked and hard. Thats about all i got but i'm having the urge to put some fresh parts on it and see what it could do. I've already looked for wheels but can't find any of the same type. Anything anyone could tell me would be appreciated. Thanks.
P.S. if anybody needs more pictures or some close ups i would be glad to post them.
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Old Car Identification-03020156.jpg   Help! Old Car Identification-03020156a.jpg   Help! Old Car Identification-03020156b.jpg   Help! Old Car Identification-03020157.jpg   Help! Old Car Identification-03020158.jpg  

Hallway10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
Tech Master

I don't know what model it is. My RC culture doesn't go that far back in time ! But it's eighties for sure and American almost certainly. Delta ? TRC ?

But what I can tell you is that you'll find premounted tires on wheels easily because the standard has not changed since, and that you mounted the diff on the wrong side. It is supposed to go on the right.

About the thrust, the cone is indeed here to act as the thrust, by pressing the inside ring of the outer bearing inside the hub. Hard to explain in writing when you barely speak english, but find an exploded view of the rear axle of pretty much any Associated pan car, and you'll see what I mean. This system is a total mechanical absurdity BTW. the bearing doesn't like at all to work with the load applied that way. A classic thrust will be 300% better and more reliable.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
Tech Master

Found it ! Delta !

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.ph...=14631&start=0

rc10talk = best RC site EVER
Old 03-02-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Is that your dad's car or you found it in a newly bought house ? How cool would that be
UrabusDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Awesome! Thanks everybody! and my dad said he bought it in the eighties to race it on carpet but i'm not sure if he actually ever raced it. I'll get to work on fixing it up. Anybody have any thoughts on what the gear pitch would be on that main gear?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Probably 64 pitch but could be 48 as the pic isn't all that clear.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

ok well if this helps, i counted the number of teeth on it and it has 96 and it is 2 inches in diameter. i did some research and it tells me that this would be 48 pitch. would this be correct?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallway10 View Post
ok well if this helps, i counted the number of teeth on it and it has 96 and it is 2 inches in diameter. i did some research and it tells me that this would be 48 pitch. would this be correct?
Yep, it's too big to be a 64 pitch 96. Plus 64 pitch gears smaller than 98 were extremely rare back in those days. So it should be a 48.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Tech Master

48 dp meaning " 48 teeth per inch of dimaeter", I guess a 2 inches spur with 96 teeth is 48dp.

Keeping it has numerous advantages if you're not already equipped with 64dp. More reliable and no need to have two complete sets of pinions/spurs if you race offroad.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

i race the delta 10th and 12th scale when they came out to compete against the associated cars! i beleive they called them delta spider
calif_bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by calif_bouncer View Post
i race the delta 10th and 12th scale when they came out to compete against the associated cars! i beleive they called them delta spider
I raced against some friends that had them.
A little too heavy for indoors... but outdoors that extra Road-Hugging weight worked well, especially with those awesome Delta foam tires.

At the Ranch Pit Stop that car was a Monster

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote