R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #1336
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreameracer View Post
any info about the new front end yet
Yes, please hurry with something already.

Question:

This past weekend I ran my ODpurple prepared Rev4.5 on an asphalt track. I usually use a header card or piece of paper under the blocks to adjust the camber angle and get as close to flat tire wear.

During the event, I noticed the right side front tire had inside excessive coning. I removed the paper under the right side block and the tire wear was relatively even on both sides after the next run, with a fresh set of tires.

Now personally I did not like doing this as it changes the ride height of the axles and should have tweaked the chassis.

But the car drove well. However this did not seem right, having a piece on paper on one side and not on the other. Any thoughts.

Bruce...get to it and get us a new front end to match the supremacy of the rear end....

photo of my 19t Rev4.5 in action.
Attached Thumbnails
Speedmerchant Rev.4-1-12th-19t-c-whits-track.jpg  
Old 08-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #1337
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano View Post
Yes, please hurry with something already.

Question:

This past weekend I ran my ODpurple prepared Rev4.5 on an asphalt track. I usually use a header card or piece of paper under the blocks to adjust the camber angle and get as close to flat tire wear.

During the event, I noticed the right side front tire had inside excessive coning. I removed the paper under the right side block and the tire wear was relatively even on both sides after the next run, with a fresh set of tires.

Now personally I did not like doing this as it changes the ride height of the axles and should have tweaked the chassis.

But the car drove well. However this did not seem right, having a piece on paper on one side and not on the other. Any thoughts.

Bruce...get to it and get us a new front end to match the supremacy of the rear end....

photo of my 19t Rev4.5 in action.
The old skool arms are molded by AE, and to say that the molds have taken a beating over the past 20+ years would be putting it lightly. When setting up the front ends on these, you should look (measure) at the two kingpins to be sure that the negative camber matches from side to side. The paper shim should be used not only to add negative camber to your liking, but it should also be used to fine-tune the actual setting. I am not saying that the camber is definitely off on the arms that are installed on your car. It could be that you are actually tuning the chassis to perform well on that one particular track.

I generally don't add or remove camber to change how the tires cone, as that would be the wrong reason to change settings. You could set up your car so that the tires wear completely square, and the car could still handle like a bag. Setting up the car for what is required to be fast is more important, even if the tires cone. Typically, when my carpet r4 is set-up properly, the inside of the front tires are smaller.. it's just what seems to work well.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #1338
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The new front end is awesome. If you want a frame of reference, think the Dieter front end from the reflex 12, only better engineered and much more durable.

I'm running one of the prototypes right now, and it has a ton of steering and carries great corner speed.

Hyperform racing--In memory of Lino
Bigdaddyswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #1339
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to xtreameracer

that should be neet to see.
xtreameracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #1340
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

The new front end looks really easy to use and more consistent from what I saw. Hopefully in time for Vegas..
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:16 AM   #1341
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ToddFalkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddyswank View Post
The new front end is awesome. If you want a frame of reference, think the Dieter front end from the reflex 12, only better engineered and much more durable.

I'm running one of the prototypes right now, and it has a ton of steering and carries great corner speed.
If it's like the old "Ugly" front end- I want one!!! Miss that front end...
ToddFalkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #1342
Tech Elite

Quote:

Great...looking forward to it...I remember that design...tell Bruce to hurry up already
Old 08-31-2007, 08:26 AM   #1343
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
The old skool arms are molded by AE, and to say that the molds have taken a beating over the past 20+ years would be putting it lightly. When setting up the front ends on these, you should look (measure) at the two kingpins to be sure that the negative camber matches from side to side. The paper shim should be used not only to add negative camber to your liking, but it should also be used to fine-tune the actual setting. I am not saying that the camber is definitely off on the arms that are installed on your car. It could be that you are actually tuning the chassis to perform well on that one particular track.

I generally don't add or remove camber to change how the tires cone, as that would be the wrong reason to change settings. You could set up your car so that the tires wear completely square, and the car could still handle like a bag. Setting up the car for what is required to be fast is more important, even if the tires cone. Typically, when my carpet r4 is set-up properly, the inside of the front tires are smaller.. it's just what seems to work well.

Timmay70: thanks for the feedback. I really use a piece of paper under the outer edge of the blocks to get the tires to wear evenly versus flat...I should have been more clear.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #1344
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Is there any more info you can give us about the new front end?

How soon will the new front ends be avail to update our cars?

Thanks.
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #1345
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would look to the web site sometime from mid to late this week. Speedmerchant was waiting to get all the parts in stock before releasing this kit. Till then I cant really give details on the Rev 5, other than its bulletproof, turns more, is more adjustable.... and the rear end is updated as well.

Cant wait till vegas.

Beavis
beavis353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #1346
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

will the new front end be available in a kit? and will it fit the rev 4?
buffalobill989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #1347
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes, and Yes. The new front end, called the "formula" will be available as a kit, and will bolt directly on to any of the Rev series cars. It will also be a nifty add on to the CRC, AE, CEFX, and whoever else uses the standard AE style bolt holes.

Beavis
beavis353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #1348
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis353 View Post
Yes, and Yes. The new front end, called the "formula" will be available as a kit, and will bolt directly on to any of the Rev series cars. It will also be a nifty add on to the CRC, AE, CEFX, and whoever else uses the standard AE style bolt holes.

Beavis
any other changes from the 4.5-5 besides the front end?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #1349
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
The new front end is awesome. If you want a frame of reference, think the Dieter front end from the reflex 12...
Ahem... DELTA front end, thank you very much.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #1350
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo View Post
any other changes from the 4.5-5 besides the front end?

Yes...Please tell us the differences in the Rev5 versus Rev4.5. I have 2 ready to race Rev4.5 for carpet season and need to know if the changes are limited to just the front-end

perhaps the rear pod has been widened to better accept brushless motor? Nothing posted on the speedmerchant's site.