R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-08-2005, 10:50 PM   #106
Tech Master

Default Yes it does thanks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnold
Mabuchi- Parma PSE makes a castor and CAMBER set for the old style front end for about $6 USA. You get 1,2, and 3 degrees for camber and 1,2, and 3 for caster. If you put them on the inside you get positive camber added and if you put them on the outside you get negative camber added. BTW the Associated caster shims are thinner than the PSE's so you can run even smaller front tires for super high bite carpet conditions.

When the blocks are new i typically measure 1.5 degrees of negative camber and my tires wear flat. I run 2 degrees of caster with no camber shims added. Since the blocks are cut with 1.5-2 degrees of negative camber in them then that is the actual camber that i run.

In my opinion the Rev. 4 is the best 12th scale car out in part because less needs to be done to it and less needs to be known about tuning it to make it run fast it seems. It is as stable and has as much rear traction as a t-bar car but seems more robust and consistent.

Hope this helps.

One more total newb question I really should have asked before.

I have a set of Parma PSE front tires (purple) ready to use, I assumed that the kits front wheel bearings are made for this size rim?
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:15 PM   #107
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540

One more total newb question I really should have asked before.

I have a set of Parma PSE front tires (purple) ready to use, I assumed that the kits front wheel bearings are made for this size rim?
The kit comes with unflanged bearings and Parma fronts use flanged ones, so the kit bearings will not work.
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:52 PM   #108
Tech Master

Red face Well it was fun while it lasted I suppose.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple
The kit comes with unflanged bearings and Parma fronts use flanged ones, so the kit bearings will not work.
I ordered 3 sets of front tires from Tower (all Parma) and they are already on the way.

I hope he can change the bearings in the kit for me (it's either that or I cancel the order unfortunately) and the CC is all tapped out at the moment so I Can't get extra.

I thought I'd covered everything.

Edit: Yes he can and yes he will, now that would have to be without a doubt the best service I have EVER encountered online.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 07-09-2005 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:57 PM   #109
Tech Master

Quick question time.....

Looking at a picture of the Rev 4 it appears as if all four batteries sit side by side.

In that, when I wire up the new cells I've got (3700s) to go with the car, they will be close enough that I won't need to have a jumper across two pairs of cells and can wire them up as one lot.

Just wondering if that's correct because a battery bar would look much tidier (if nothing else) compared to a short piece of wire?

And can anyone else get onto the Speedmerchant site, I wanted to have a browse but haven't been able to get onto it for nearly 12 hours now?

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 07-09-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:02 PM   #110
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You can use a bar and I would reccomend it. Pack is a lot more solid.

Yeah, the site seems to be down.

Bruce is definetly one of the greatest guys to deal with. You will definetly enjoy your new ride.

TLR, Fantom, Horizon, Spektrum, Trackside
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:12 PM   #111
Tech Master

Thumbs up Cool, thank you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L
You can use a bar and I would reccomend it. Pack is a lot more solid.
glad to hear it, I never really liked the idea of saddle packs anyway for some reason.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:35 AM   #112
Tech Master

From the quick question department.......

I've just received a bunch of 64p pinions (Robinson) to use with the car. But silly me didn't realise they would be imperial sized threads/grub screws instead of metric like all the others I have.

Just wondering what size allen key I'll have to go and buy for the grub screws as none of my metric keys fit well enough?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #113
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
I've just received a bunch of 64p pinions (Robinson) to use with the car. But silly me didn't realise they would be imperial sized threads/grub screws instead of metric like all the others I have.

Just wondering what size allen key I'll have to go and buy for the grub screws as none of my metric keys fit well enough?

Thanks in advance.
.063" (1/16)
Old 07-12-2005, 03:33 AM   #114
Tech Master

Thumbs up Thanks.....

Quote:
.063" (1/16)
I picked one up today.

Hey while I think about it (another thread about battery size gave me the idea) are the slots in the chassis a straight fit for 3700s or will I have to do a bit of filing?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:16 PM   #115
Tech Master

Just wondering if.....

there is some other holiday on in the U.S I don't know about or some big racing event perhaps?

It's been 4 days since I was told my order was to have been shipped but I've yet to receive confirmation of this (tracking number) and emails and phone go unanswered.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:14 AM   #116
Tech Regular

I am sure it was shipped, as far as unanswered emails, Bruce was away for the weekend so he was probably away from his computer for a few days. But if he said he shipped it, he did.
chach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:27 AM   #117
Tech Master

Thumbs up No worries.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chach
I am sure it was shipped, as far as unanswered emails, Bruce was away for the weekend so he was probably away from his computer for a few days. But if he said he shipped it, he did.
I'm sure he did and from previous contact I don't have any doubt.

I just need the tracking number so I can tell when it lands in the country. As its never taken more than 24 hours to reach my door from that point I can arrange to be home that day.

I'm getting itchy building fingers.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #118
Tech Rookie

Default Rev. 4 kit questions

Hi, I am new to 1/12, but has been racing pan car (HPI Super F1) for couple of years. Just received my Rev.4 kit, had to wait three weeks from the time of order, though. The kit looks really impressive.

Mabuchi: 3700s do fit, but really narrowly, if you place them in such a way that preformance numbers stickers all face up they fit, if the stickers touch each other they do not.

Some questions:

1. The kit is preassembled, does it mean that all steel balls which are required to be polished per instructions has been polished already?

2. The instructions say nothing about the way how the battery cells are supposed to be fastened to the chassis. How should I do that?

3. I will be using Novak brushless stock (4300 motor) system. Any suggestions on gearing ratio will be really appreciated.

4. I will be racing on asphalt, however the traction is somewhat lower than normal, I believe because the gas cars regularly race on the same track and everything is covered in castor oil as a result. On my HPI F1 I run Jaco greens in the rear and blues in front. What would be basic setup for such conditions?

BTW, what is the idea behind shipping the kit preassembled? I will have to take mine apart a) because I want to sand the edges of the chassis and b) because to put the motor I will have to take the rear assembly apart anyway?

Thank you in advance, any comments will be really appreciated.
GrayRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayRaven
Hi, I am new to 1/12, but has been racing pan car (HPI Super F1) for couple of years. Just received my Rev.4 kit, had to wait three weeks from the time of order, though. The kit looks really impressive.

Mabuchi: 3700s do fit, but really narrowly, if you place them in such a way that preformance numbers stickers all face up they fit, if the stickers touch each other they do not.

Some questions:

1. The kit is preassembled, does it mean that all steel balls which are required to be polished per instructions has been polished already?

2. The instructions say nothing about the way how the battery cells are supposed to be fastened to the chassis. How should I do that?

3. I will be using Novak brushless stock (4300 motor) system. Any suggestions on gearing ratio will be really appreciated.

4. I will be racing on asphalt, however the traction is somewhat lower than normal, I believe because the gas cars regularly race on the same track and everything is covered in castor oil as a result. On my HPI F1 I run Jaco greens in the rear and blues in front. What would be basic setup for such conditions?

BTW, what is the idea behind shipping the kit preassembled? I will have to take mine apart a) because I want to sand the edges of the chassis and b) because to put the motor I will have to take the rear assembly apart anyway?

Thank you in advance, any comments will be really appreciated.
1. No

2. With tape

3. ?

4. It really depends on the track but pink rears and purple fronts is where
most people start.

You would have to ask Bruce why the kit is preassembled, but I always thought is was a quality control measure (to make sure everything is there). The kits didn't used to come with instructions either.
You only need to take the top plate off to install the motor, but you should completely dissassemble the car and do all the stuff the instructions outline anyway.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #120
Tech Rookie

Thank you odpurple,

Quote:
2. With tape
Do I need to wrap it all around? What kind tape should I use? I don't think electrician's tape will hold the batteries frimly enough, right?
GrayRaven is offline   Reply With Quote