R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #91
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jland
Mabuchi540, I just got my Rev4 in the mail the other day and I am pretty impressed with it.

Yes I believe the new front end can replaced by the new version.

75% prebuilt is the rear pod assembly is built, pivot ball assembly and tweak spring assembly. You basicaly just need to build the shock, front end and side links, mount the servo, and build the diff. It is a IRS lowered rear pod and diff. You would't gain alot from a unbuilt kit. Their really is not alot to these cars.

I have not run mine yet and I have never used the Old front end.

Bruce at Speedmerchant was great to deal with. I spent alot of time looking at these cars and I really like the design of this one.
Hope this helps alittle
Cool, thanks for replying. Yes it helps (a little lol) so I assume for piece of mind (and out of habit, and a sense of "zen" ) it wouldn't take much to pull it apart and put back the 75% then?
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:26 AM   #92
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Yeh, it would be really easy to take it apart...Glad to be of some help.....
jland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:16 AM   #93
Tech Master

Just wondering what sort of responce you guys get from Speedmerchant, I left a message on the phone 4 days ago and haven't heard anything back, is this usual?

I only phoned because I read somewhere else on this thread that this usually gets a quicker reply.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:01 AM   #94
Tech Addict

Default response from SpeedMerchant

It is worth noting that this was just a holiday weekend here in the US (4th of July). SpeedMerchant is also not a large company, it is basically just Bruce. However, that is also a good thing. If you just need to ask a question, just post here and any owner (all are very loyal) will gladly help out.
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #95
Tech Master

Default Thanks but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys
It is worth noting that this was just a holiday weekend here in the US (4th of July). SpeedMerchant is also not a large company, it is basically just Bruce. However, that is also a good thing. If you just need to ask a question, just post here and any owner (all are very loyal) will gladly help out.
I prefer to see if he bothers to reply. I've been looking for a 1/12th car for about a month now and quite frankly with the somewhat less than stellar responce I have gotten from manufacturers it now comes down to I'll probably just buy from who ever bothers to answer my questions.

Sure I could get most of them answered on forums but that doesn't tell me much about the person I'd actually be dealing with and paying the money too.

I think I'll give them all till this Friday and if no reply is forth coming I'll just can the idea.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #96
Tech Regular

I can tell you from experience Bruce Carbone at Speedmerchant is always available for help and advise,his products are top notch and I would recommend the rev 4.

The only thing I can imagine is that he is unavailable right now due to a vacation or something.But I will let him know you are trying to contact him.
chach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #97
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chach
I can tell you from experience Bruce Carbone at Speedmerchant is always available for help and advise,his products are top notch and I would recommend the rev 4.

The only thing I can imagine is that he is unavailable right now due to a vacation or something.But I will let him know you are trying to contact him.
Sounds good to me, it would be much appreciated if you could let him know.

The sooner I get this sorted the better, no matter what brand I end up with. I never actually thought a 1/12th would be harder to pick than my first TC was a year ago lol.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 07-07-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #98
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
Sounds good to me, it would be much appreciated if you could let him know.

The sooner I get this sorted the better, no matter what brand I end up with. I never actually thought a 1/12th would be harder to pick than my first TC was a year ago lol.

Unfortunately, summer is the slow season for 12thscale in the U.S. and this is when many of the manufacturers take a bit of a break. I will tell you that the Speedmerchant team is the most helpful in the game, and that there are many drivers that can answer your questions. Speedmerchant is essentially a one man operation, and sometimes that does delay responses from the man himself, so we as a team try to take up the slack. Feel free to post any questions you may have and we'll get 'em answered.

Ian Ruggles
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #99
Tech Master

Default Funny you should say that.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Unfortunately, summer is the slow season for 12thscale in the U.S. and this is when many of the manufacturers take a bit of a break. I will tell you that the Speedmerchant team is the most helpful in the game, and that there are many drivers that can answer your questions. Speedmerchant is essentially a one man operation, and sometimes that does delay responses from the man himself, so we as a team try to take up the slack. Feel free to post any questions you may have and we'll get 'em answered.

Ian Ruggles
I've just received a few emails back and forth from Bruce today (he said he had a bit of a holiday as you mentioned lol) anyway he couldn't be being (is that correct english ) more helpful.

Other manufaturers take note!
Old 07-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I've just received a few emails back and forth from Bruce today (he said he had a bit of a holiday as you mentioned lol) anyway he couldn't be being (is that correct english ) more helpful.

Other manufaturers take note!
Bruce is the KING!! If you have any questions fire away and we'll get you answers!
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:33 PM   #101
Tech Master

Default Well actually I do have one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Bruce is the KING!! If you have any questions fire away and we'll get you answers!
just before I place an order.

Bruce was saying that camber/caster is adjusted with shims under the front blocks. But I'm not entirely clear on...are the shims included though or is it just one set in the kit and if I want anything different I have to by others?

Edit: Scratch that he just answered that email. The dude is quick.

Although I think it would take a while to get used to adjusting camber with card under the screws as he mentions. lol Low tech

I assume though that camber is at 0 otherwise?
Old 07-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #102
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
just before I place an order.

Bruce was saying that camber/caster is adjusted with shims under the front blocks. But I'm not entirely clear on...are the shims included though or is it just one set in the kit and if I want anything different I have to by others?

Edit: Scratch that he just answered that email. The dude is quick.

Although I think it would take a while to get used to adjusting camber with card under the screws as he mentions. lol Low tech

I assume though that camber is at 0 otherwise?
One the old style front end that speedmerchant uses there is a couple degrees of camber already built in. When I ran that style front end I actually used the shims to take camber out. I'm not positive but I think it comes with 2 deg camber
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:09 PM   #103
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard
One the old style front end that speedmerchant uses there is a couple degrees of camber already built in. When I ran that style front end I actually used the shims to take camber out. I'm not positive but I think it comes with 2 deg camber
Yes it is 2 deg, Bruce just confirmed it. Now that's what I call service.

I just wondering how the shims would work for camber adjustment, I understand shims just at the front would effect castor but for camber wouldn't the shims have to be angled?

I'm not clear on how the shimming with card method would work, unless 1mm of card on the inside/outside = 1 deg of camber change +/- etc?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:46 PM   #104
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Honestly for 1/12 racing I don't worry if I have 1, 1 1/2, or 2 deg of camber as long as my tires are wearing evenly. In the past I've used axle shims to adjust the camber, just put the shims on the inside of the arm to reduce camber.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:53 PM   #105
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mabuchi- Parma PSE makes a castor and CAMBER set for the old style front end for about $6 USA. You get 1,2, and 3 degrees for camber and 1,2, and 3 for caster. If you put them on the inside you get positive camber added and if you put them on the outside you get negative camber added. BTW the Associated caster shims are thinner than the PSE's so you can run even smaller front tires for super high bite carpet conditions.

When the blocks are new i typically measure 1.5 degrees of negative camber and my tires wear flat. I run 2 degrees of caster with no camber shims added. Since the blocks are cut with 1.5-2 degrees of negative camber in them then that is the actual camber that i run.

In my opinion the Rev. 4 is the best 12th scale car out in part because less needs to be done to it and less needs to be known about tuning it to make it run fast it seems. It is as stable and has as much rear traction as a t-bar car but seems more robust and consistent.

Hope this helps.
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote