R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #991
Tech Apprentice

Start here:

http://www.teamspeedmerchant.com/Vegas2006cars.html

I started with this setup. The only change that I have made for Mod and 19 turn was went to 35 wt oil and a blue spring to settle the car down a little. I'm not quite Mike Dumas yet. In stock, I'm at 45 wt and the red spring like Mike's set up.

Awesome car. Good luck.
Motor City Hami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #992
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks. I'm starting out in stock for now, we'll see how that goes.
Dreddlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #993
Tech Adept

Just got to watch the A Main 12th Modified class at the Cleveland Indoor Champs.

Dumas's car was insane good, but had an electrical failure at the 7:30 mark. He had the main won easy, with about a 3rd of a lap lead. Too bad.

SpeedMerchant still took 1st and 2nd with Barry BAker and Billy Easton. Cyrul was the only one even close.

Hopefully we get to see their set-ups on-line.
12thScaleCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:47 AM   #994
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys I was looking at the rev4.5. Wow what a nice car. I'm presently running a crc 3.2r.

My question is this. what is the difference in running a laydown servo compared to running on at an angle.

my next quetions I've only ever ran the new school front ends. So those old school front end looks intreging but I have not a clue about them.

I race mainly stock at my home track. (club hand out with any were from 24 to 30 guys running.) we only run 12 scale in the winter.

I just feel like something diffent from the norm(90% of the club run's crc.)
cyrrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #995
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrrus
Hey guys I was looking at the rev4.5. Wow what a nice car. I'm presently running a crc 3.2r.

My question is this. what is the difference in running a laydown servo compared to running on at an angle.

my next quetions I've only ever ran the new school front ends. So those old school front end looks intreging but I have not a clue about them.

I race mainly stock at my home track. (club hand out with any were from 24 to 30 guys running.) we only run 12 scale in the winter.

Laydown servo vs. angled has more to do with bump steer. Because I race on a smooth carpet surface, I always have run the flat mounted servo. Right now I am using the AE FT aluminum servo mounts. However, Speed Merchant and several companies make a nice mount.

The Old Skool front end is nice in that there are so few parts to wear out that the front stays tighter much longer. People rarely see the need for the funky things that the new front end can do on carpet, so a set angle for caster/camber work out well. The biggest mod people do is to cut the bottom of the steering blocks and slide them down the kingpin by .030 - .060" to gain ride height when the tires wear down.

The 4.5 is a nice car. I have been running my 4 for 3 years now.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:54 AM   #996
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Switch Blade

I just got a new 4.5 yesterday and it is almost ready. The only real question I have is how to set camber. Dont I just put, say a piece of card, on the outer side of the arm to give it the camber angle?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #997
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch Blade
I just got a new 4.5 yesterday and it is almost ready. The only real question I have is how to set camber. Dont I just put, say a piece of card, on the outer side of the arm to give it the camber angle?
Yes. If you check out Dumas' set up for the IIC on the SM website, he specs an .008" shim for camber.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:29 PM   #998
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to losi guy

Hey guys, Im new to 1/12 and I just got a REV 4 and was wondering what you guys would recommend for a servo and whats a good tire combo for med-high bite carpet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:40 PM   #999
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi guy
Hey guys, Im new to 1/12 and I just got a REV 4 and was wondering what you guys would recommend for a servo and whats a good tire combo for med-high bite carpet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
I just got a Futaba S9650. You can check JR and KO. They have really good ones in the same price range.
Dreddlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #1000
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to losi guy

Another ?. want another axle for my rev 4, on their website they have the kit for like $70 and just an axle for $18 but from the two pictures there different so what should i do? Are all the 1/12 axles the same? thanks.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:14 AM   #1001
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

reiman makes an axle that is really nice.its a hollow c/f axle with alot of cool little odds and ends.schumacher USA is the distributor for them.if your interested you can give them a call.i like the axles because they are cool looking and the hubs run extremely straight.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #1002
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thScaleCrazy
Just got to watch the A Main 12th Modified class at the Cleveland Indoor Champs.

Dumas's car was insane good, but had an electrical failure at the 7:30 mark. He had the main won easy, with about a 3rd of a lap lead. Too bad.

SpeedMerchant still took 1st and 2nd with Barry BAker and Billy Easton. Cyrul was the only one even close.

Hopefully we get to see their set-ups on-line.
It was painful to watch, Dumas has been on fire lately, and he's one of the coolest guys in the industry, it was awesome to see Barry and Billy duke it out the way they did though, one of the most fun races I've ever called. A SpeedMerchant 1,2,3 woulda been nice, but I'll settle for a one two just like I did last year.

Congrats to Bruce and Barry!!!
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:36 AM   #1003
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Is this normal?

When I adjusted tweak in my 4.5 (using the penny trick) to the point that both tires lifted at the same time I had turned the one screw in pretty far. Now my question is: Won't that also through off the balance cause one spring is set different.

Also if that is not normal what would cause the car to need that much adjustment? I have my weight displaced well.
FT_TC3Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #1004
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to eforer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrrus

Laydown servo for old skool, angled for strut. Its all about ackerman angle.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #1005
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_TC3Racer
Is this normal?

When I adjusted tweak in my 4.5 (using the penny trick) to the point that both tires lifted at the same time I had turned the one screw in pretty far. Now my question is: Won't that also through off the balance cause one spring is set different.

Also if that is not normal what would cause the car to need that much adjustment? I have my weight displaced well.
I don't buy the penny trick. You're not actually setting tweak with the pennies on the front tires. You're just finding which front spring reaches the top of it's up travel first. You want to set tweak with the weight of the car sitting on the springs, not off. If you don't want to buy a $40 MIP tweak station (or any other type of tweak station) then you need to set tweak from the other end of the car - the back. Scribe a line with an exacto along the bottom of the chassis right down the center. Turn the car around, use a wrench or exacto to lift the car the same way you did the penny trick, but this time from the rear. One rear tire will lift first. keep adjusting until they both lift at the same time.
Motor City Hami is offline   Reply With Quote