R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #826
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes, I used a sanding drum on my dremel to do both. You will also need to add shims between the steering block and the top e-clip to keep it biased to the bottom. As far as sanding the top, you will want to match the top of the suspension arm to the wheel radii. You will need to turn the wheels left-right to make sure that it clears all around. Roll the wheels, too. Sometimes a slightly warped wheel will rub...
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #827
Tech Addict

Keith - bring your car to my pit on Sunday and I'll check it over for you if you want.

-Rich
RichChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #828
Tech Apprentice

I thought that it was necessary to shave the top of the suspension block and cut the kingpin down too. That's what I'm going to do, but I'd rather have a couple of sets of lowered suspension blocks, instead of going through all of this work and weakening the part. Does anyone make a lowered old school front blocks like the IRS ones for the new front end? I'd buy three pairs right now, is someone had these.

This all just makes me want to run the newer, reactive castor front end. The setup I have for that is sweet. I wanted to try the old school first, like Dumas and Mockerman. I figured that I'd start with their set ups, then make the changes to match my driving style.
Motor City Hami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #829
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I forgot about having to sand the arm a little bit for clearance. I think I used some Bud's motor shims for the top of the kingpin. Otherwise you only need to sand the bottom of the steering block and then put the rim back on to make sure it clears while turning. I really doesn't take to long to do, nor is that hard.

You really don't have to do this right away. Just run the old skool front end with taller tires. It is more or less for being able to run smaller front tires.
Scrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #830
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

A dremel and calipers will allow you to take off it pretty evenly, just take your time. I actually lowered mine to two #4 washers (about 2mm a little less) so I could run a little bit smaller tire at big races and pass tech with ease, although you have to dremel off more from the arm and it can break easier. For club racing though, I would just say run a bigger tire. If the bite gets really high for club racing superglue, but you shouldnt have to. It is just a nice option to have, but you will have to dremel the arm a bit.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #831
Tech Apprentice

O.k. my new Speedmerchant is built. I can't wait for Sunday to get here so I can try it out. I have run 1/12th scale since 1980, and the only cars I have raced are Associated (12E, 12F, 12I, 12L, 12L2, 12L3, 12L4). I did try a Corally somewhere in there, but that lasted about a month and I was back to the 12L. This will be my first spring car. Last night, looking at the car on the bench, with the ride height set and everything on the car, I think I started to go through t-bar withdrawl. I have the car set up with Chris Mockerman's 19 turn setup. It's very close to the Dumas setup posted up above. I just can't believe this car is going to turn. I know it will, because I watch Mockerman carry a little more speed in every 180. The car feels so much softer in the rear without that t-bar. Please help talk me out of my crack addiction to the t-bar. I'm in desparate need of help here. How is this thing going to run when I hit the track on Sunday?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #832
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City Hami
How is this thing going to run when I hit the track on Sunday?
Like a f'ing dream bro!
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #833
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City Hami
O.k. my new Speedmerchant is built. I can't wait for Sunday to get here so I can try it out. I have run 1/12th scale since 1980, and the only cars I have raced are Associated (12E, 12F, 12I, 12L, 12L2, 12L3, 12L4). I did try a Corally somewhere in there, but that lasted about a month and I was back to the 12L. This will be my first spring car. Last night, looking at the car on the bench, with the ride height set and everything on the car, I think I started to go through t-bar withdrawl. I have the car set up with Chris Mockerman's 19 turn setup. It's very close to the Dumas setup posted up above. I just can't believe this car is going to turn. I know it will, because I watch Mockerman carry a little more speed in every 180. The car feels so much softer in the rear without that t-bar. Please help talk me out of my crack addiction to the t-bar. I'm in desparate need of help here. How is this thing going to run when I hit the track on Sunday?
Hami, come on dude!!! All the weight is in the center of the car, so it doesn't have to be super stiff to fight the evils of weight transfer like a T-bar car. Hell the whole argument against link cars used to be that they had no rear grip, at least untill Dumas and Pritchard started showing all the T-bar cars so much rear-pod!!! It's gonna turn WAAAAAY more than you expect it to, and it's not gonna wash out mid-corner either. Believe me, you're gonna love it.......
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #834
Tech Adept

The car will work great, Duhhhhhhhhhhh! LOL, you will like it I am sure. If you have any questions just post them on here Hami.
Mike Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #835
Tech Addict

I dunno why he is so nervous about it since he's been getting beat by a Speedmerchant for 4 years now. LOL! But, I guess I can understand being nervous about having a car that turns now - he'll have to override all those bad habits that he learned with his T-bar car (such as letting off way early in order to make the turn) and dial dual-rate out of his radio. Haha!

Just joking folks! Don't start flaming me about T-bar vs. Link cars!

-Rich
Old 10-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #836
Tech Adept

Rich Chang-What up son? Long time no talk to you, what have you been up to besides looking at plenty of beautiful women and more? Have any more good pics from any shows?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #837
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Your still running that Rev4 Rich? I thought you would have gave that up by now.
Jamie Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #838
Tech Apprentice

Don't take it that I'm overly worried that the car won't turn. Trust me, I've seen Mockerman's car work. I guess ocassionally Mr. Chang finishes ahead of me (3 of 5 CRL races, so I got 2). I was really just pointing out how different it is and that my years of experience with t-bar cars is telling me that something's not the same.

I think this car can take me from being half a lap off of Lonergan and Mockerman to hi fellas, make some room. I can't wait to drive this thing!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #839
Tech Addict

Mike - hmm.. I think you have me confused with someone else?

Jamie - actually, Rev.THREE. LOL! I'm slow to change (but not as slow to change as Keith, apparently). You able to get to Josh's on Sunday?

Keith - Statistics shmistics. I'm talking overall series placing. Haha! Anyways, I'm just teasing, sheesh.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #840
Tech Adept

RichChang-I must sorry for the mix up.