Search

Speedmerchant Rev.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 02:53 AM
Tech Adept

How do you get rid of on power push
Is it controled with the center spring
Or the side springs?
or would I heve to change the front springs?

thx
Lou
Old 03-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Bruce,

Thanks for all your help at the Nats I very much appreciate it. I also have a better understanding about high grip setup than I did. I just have to make it work now.

I have some more ideas for front end mods which you may be interested in, I'll send you the pics when I'm ready.

Take care,

Chris
Old 03-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crashby
Something that was pointed out to me by Crimson Eagle at the Nats this past week was the fit of the center pivot football. That carbon fiber piece that goes on top of the center pivot ball. If this piece does not fit down over the two long screws easily, meaning it should slide down over the screws without having to put any pressure on the carbon fiber piece, it can pull the two long screws in together or out away from each other. This will place a very slight bow in the back of the chassis either up or down at the outside edge of the chassis depending on which way the two screws are leaning when you tighten down the two nuts. While this may not make the cars handle poorly, it could be why you are seeing a difference in the ride height from side to side.
I noticed this an lightly reamed the ends of each hole with a body reamer. I didn't redrill because I noticed the reason for the tighness was a slight lip in the holes left over from the machining process. Afterwards it slid right on; no problems at all.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You really dont want to ream them out that much, or else you will have play and it might move when you hit something, you want to basically thread in that piece, or have it as close as possible and then tighten the nuts over it very well. You want as little play there as possible.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by stormperson
You really dont want to ream them out that much, or else you will have play and it might move when you hit something, you want to basically thread in that piece, or have it as close as possible and then tighten the nuts over it very well. You want as little play there as possible.
That's all fine but if the holes don't match, you have to do something about it. I've seen it on about 50% of the cars I look at. I'm not saying there is a kit problem as the cars I have put together have been from conversion kits which may explain some of the problem. How about working in some kind of countersink on one side to get a more positive location? OD, what do you think about this?

Chris
Old 03-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stormperson
considering I had to use a big pair of pliers to get it on before, I don't think a little reaming hurt it much. I still had to push it down onto the two screws, but I had to use a LOT less force.

what does everyone recommend for "upgrades" for the rev.4? I already have ceramic bearings and diff balls. and yes chris, I am asking other people's advice
Old 03-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by crimson eagle
That's all fine but if the holes don't match, you have to do something about it. I've seen it on about 50% of the cars I look at. I'm not saying there is a kit problem as the cars I have put together have been from conversion kits which may explain some of the problem. How about working in some kind of countersink on one side to get a more positive location? OD, what do you think about this?

Chris
I think it is sufficient to open the holes slightly (when neccessary) so the football doesn't pull the screws and tweak the chassis. I've never had one that needed more than this; it should still be a snug fit. If it could move in an impact, then the links would feel out of adjustment, so I guess it's something to check periodically.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello All

I ordered a conversion kit off Speedmerchant through the online shop on Feb 2nd. paying with Paypal, as this is to go to the UK I expected some additional shipping charges, this I was intending to pay as soon as confirmed.
Despite many Emails and a couple of posts here on the forum I still have not got the parts or heard anything forom Speedmerchant.
You guys seem to have a good relationship with Bruce, can you please ask him to progress my order for me? Is it woth calling? should I Fax?
As far as I am aware there are no Speedmerchant's running here in UK, and I did not see any at the recent Euro Champs. I would like to run one over here but I seem to be facing an uphill struggle.
Please help
Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

I know Bruce has been very busy lately. Your best bet would be to call him and if he doesn't answer right away leave him a message and he should get back to you.

Good luck with the car, it's really the best thing going.

Nick
Old 03-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nick-C
Good luck with the car, it's really the best thing going.

Nick
That opinion really depends on what surface you're running on
Old 03-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayBee
That opinion really depends on what surface you're running on
True, the car isn't well suited to dirt, ice or water, on any other surfaces the car is AWESOME!!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
True, the car isn't well suited to dirt, ice or water, on any other surfaces the car is AWESOME!!
does that mean I should stop trying to mount the pontoons?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by odpurple
does that mean I should stop trying to mount the pontoons?
I was referring to a stock Rev.4, but I'm sure slight modifications such as pontoons could make it a competent speedboat
Old 03-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Whadduya a part-time comedian
Old 03-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

OK then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.