R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-05-2005, 01:22 AM   #331
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritchxx
What's up fellaz, I actually took the time to insert an avitar for my account so I have to post something the see check it out.

Keep on rockin'
Jake
Jake you gotta post more, Bruce is kicking your a$$!

Bruce - 10
Pritch - 1
Nick-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:50 AM   #332
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-C
Hey Kurly, I will take a stab at these as they were the first two things Bruce told me to do in Cleveland.

By running the machined steering blocks you are providing more available ride height for the car, the next step was to rip my tires down to around 1.68. As Bruce explained this my understanding was that by running a normal (1.75) size tire and shimming the front end up you are raising the roll center too high. With the machined blocks, 1.60mm of castor and 1.65-1.68 tires you are looking at just a hair over 1/8" ride height which is where you want to be.

As far as the tweak screws go, you are 100% right. As the car sits you are not putting any tweak into the rear end at all. When I check my car I find that it's really not off by much and I honestly couldn't notice any handling issues on the track. With the springs backed out like that the car really dove into the corners well and felt really smooth entering and exiting. If you back them out and notice a huge problem with the cars tweak I would take a good look at your chassis layout, if you keep things in the usual location the impact should be minimal.

Does someone sell the machined steering blocks or are you guys cutting them down yourself? do you add a shim on the kingpin to take up the slack or does this give the front end a bit of droop?

-James
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:05 AM   #333
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesArluck
Does someone sell the machined steering blocks or are you guys cutting them down yourself? do you add a shim on the kingpin to take up the slack or does this give the front end a bit of droop?

-James
Bruce had done some though I am not sure if this is a regular sale item. When you build the front end with them you need to put a shim above the block so when you put the upper e-clip on everything is tight. The only difference is the added ride height.
Nick-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:25 AM   #334
Tech Fanatic

Bruce and fellow Rev4 drivers,

I need to know if it's normal to have camber built into one side of the car.
When looking at the front of the car, there's noticable camber on the right
side of the car with the left side being perfectly flat w/zero camber. I used the word 'normal' because I changed everything on the right side except for the axle and the kingpin that run thru the steering block and it's still the same.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:15 AM   #335
Tech Adept

Morning Guys,

Hi James, Hope you're doing well in Sunny CA. It's 19 degrees here......you bastard....LOL.

I use my mill to take the material off of the steering blocks, but you can very easily do it with just a Dremel tool at home. Obviously, you want to take it off of the bottom of each steering block. Just use a drum sander, and keep checking the fit as you do it. You only want to take off the thickness of one #4 washer. That's usually between .031 and .033 (depending on mfg. tolerances). Just make sure you mic a matching pair of #4 washers before you start. So..... sand a little, push a king pin thru the bottom w/ e-clip, #4 washer on top, and then another e-clip. Keep repeating until that top e-clip slides right into its notch, and you're done.
After you've finished that, you will have to lightly (with your Dremel) sand the top front of your suspension arms, and take just a tiny bit off of the top of your king pins too. Finally, you have to remove a little bit off of the back of each suspension arm, because your new lowered blocks will rub when turned at max throw. It's easy to see once you get the assembly back together. Hope that explains it. I'll try to get a tutorial/pics up on the website this week for you guys.

Nitrohead - Is everything new on the front assembly? It is possible to bend a front axle, which would look just like one arm has more camber than the other. Just pop it out, and roll it on a table to check. If the axle is straight, than you can just use paper shims to get your camber even side to side. On my personal car, I have a piece of battery tape under one arm, and a piece of header card on the other side to get the front even. It works fine. Unfortunately, that's what you get when you're dealing with old plastic molds.

Nick - Jake is far too upset over this weekend's fantasy football loss to post today....LOL.

Take care.-Bruce
SpeedMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:17 AM   #336
Tech Regular

Bruce, what happened? Lose your job?
The way you are posting all over the place makes me worry.
chach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:23 AM   #337
Tech Fanatic

Yes Bruce, Im using all new parts and the axle is new and unbent. I'll try some different things to get it to work.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 08:35 AM   #338
Tech Regular

sns820 - Now that's what I call an great avatar!!!!!!

Also has anyone tried the new steering blocks with the old arms - the new one look like there is already .033 removed from bottom and added to the top - other question would be about the location of the ball stud compared on new arms - how would that affect ackerman??????
DLM2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:08 AM   #339
Tech Regular

Default bruce

Bruce- tell pritch he needs to follow my football bets.
TJ Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:58 AM   #340
Tech Master

McMoney Militia!!!!!!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/vrcmag
mcmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:27 AM   #341
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

If you use the old style steering knuckles on the strut front end then you will have more ackerman and the car will be easier to drive, less twichy and smoother off center, that is after you do all of the grinding to make it fit, i have never tried it, however i dont see why it couldnt be done.

I know that bruce tried out the new style steering knuckles on the old school front end and it gave the car less ackerman however you had to grind the arm to make the turnbuckle not hit.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:16 AM   #342
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedMerchant
Hi James, Hope you're doing well in Sunny CA. It's 19 degrees here......you bastard....LOL.
Whatever do you mean? It's 50 deg here today and we're freezing our asses off. I may have to change into my fur flip-flops and flannel hawiian shirt!
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:25 AM   #343
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple
Whatever do you mean? It's 50 deg here today and we're freezing our asses off. I may have to change into my fur flip-flops and flannel hawiian shirt!
Isn't that what you wore to the track last Saturday?

Art D.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:35 AM   #344
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil
Isn't that what you wore to the track last Saturday?

Art D.
that was Ashby-on cold days I wear my robe and slippers to the track.
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:42 AM   #345
Tech Master

Post I'll take that as.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
did you get my email about how it went with the Rev4 in my first big meeting?

I really hope I don't have to type it all again.
a no you didn't then shall I?
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote