R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-03-2005, 08:46 AM   #316
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 244 (99%+)

Any one have a setup for the Rev. 3 for high bite carpet?
Fred Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:57 AM   #317
Tech Regular

I used the kit side springs(red?)/SM black shock spring/one thick caster shim/10k ofna/can't remember what shock oil I used(AE 50?) 2 camber/purples and greys started with 1.79 rear and 1.70 front - old front end/ speed 8 body - servo shoo glued flat and mounted right up against the front arm and for stock used a 1.527 rollout...............

and hardly any preload on the side springs
DLM2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:43 PM   #318
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Old Man
Any one have a setup for the Rev. 3 for high bite carpet?
If it's a Paragon legal track:

.020 front springs, one silver washer under front of arm for caster, aproximately 10 degrees of rear sweep in tie-rods for Ackerman. Parma Purple tires

Rear Med. Losi Hydra Fluid in tubes (or 10000 Ofna silicone), blue side springs, black center shock spring, 70 wt. oil. .5 mm of pod droop, ride height set so chassis is level front to rear when ready to run, batteries back. Parma Grey tires
Parma speed 8 body.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:47 PM   #319
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2005
In looking at the Dumas setup from Cleveland where shock is raised by .090 (more on power steering) I see I must have been on the right track as I have mine up .095 and it works also I have been going to almost no preload on side springs. Question - are whites softer than blues? - and does that relate to more rear traction?
Side spring stiffness from softest to hardest: Orange, Blue, White, Red, Green, Purple, Black.

The softer the side spring the more side bite the rear end will have, and the lazier it will transition back to center from a loaded state. I always start with Blues, if the car doesn't center up quick enough in the twisties, I'll go to whites.

Center shock spring and oil have a far greater affect on net rear traction, the softer the center spring/oil combo, the more rear grip you'll generate.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
Old 12-03-2005, 03:34 PM   #320
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2005
In looking at the Dumas setup from Cleveland where shock is raised by .090 (more on power steering) I see I must have been on the right track as I have mine up .095 and it works also I have been going to almost no preload on side springs. Question - are whites softer than blues? - and does that relate to more rear traction?
What are you guys using to raise the shock?

AWESOMATIX USA-SANWA--BSR--TEAM SCREAM --SWEEP RACING USA--TQ WIRE--ROCHE USA--LRP
Sal Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #321
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns820
What are you guys using to raise the shock?
motor/axle shims.....
Old 12-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #322
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Ok thanks

AWESOMATIX USA-SANWA--BSR--TEAM SCREAM --SWEEP RACING USA--TQ WIRE--ROCHE USA--LRP
Sal Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:55 PM   #323
Tech Addict

Don't forget to re-adjust your droop and rear-pod sag when you adjust the height of that ball-stud (whether you lower it or raise it).

-Rich
RichChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:28 PM   #324
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Cleveland setup

When I look at Mikes setup, two questions come to mind. By lowering the spindles are you looking for a specific ride height or does it affect the handling of the car, do you shim above the spindle to take up the space on the spring. The second is he said he floats the tweek springs 1mm above the tie rods......doesnt that leave the car without a nuetral tweek? Great job you guys.......very well done. Kurt
Old 12-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #325
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurly
When I look at Mikes setup, two questions come to mind. By lowering the spindles are you looking for a specific ride height or does it affect the handling of the car, do you shim above the spindle to take up the space on the spring. The second is he said he floats the tweek springs 1mm above the tie rods......doesnt that leave the car without a nuetral tweek? Great job you guys.......very well done. Kurt
Hey Kurly, I will take a stab at these as they were the first two things Bruce told me to do in Cleveland.

By running the machined steering blocks you are providing more available ride height for the car, the next step was to rip my tires down to around 1.68. As Bruce explained this my understanding was that by running a normal (1.75) size tire and shimming the front end up you are raising the roll center too high. With the machined blocks, 1.60mm of castor and 1.65-1.68 tires you are looking at just a hair over 1/8" ride height which is where you want to be.

As far as the tweak screws go, you are 100% right. As the car sits you are not putting any tweak into the rear end at all. When I check my car I find that it's really not off by much and I honestly couldn't notice any handling issues on the track. With the springs backed out like that the car really dove into the corners well and felt really smooth entering and exiting. If you back them out and notice a huge problem with the cars tweak I would take a good look at your chassis layout, if you keep things in the usual location the impact should be minimal.
Nick-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:52 PM   #326
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not to sound cocky.....but thats what I thought about the front of the car. Not tweeking the rear and letting the car float, I just wanted to make sure thats what I understood. Thanks for clearing that up and great explanation of the chassis setup. Thanks again.........Kurt
Old 12-03-2005, 11:27 PM   #327
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurly
Thanks for clearing that up and great explanation of the chassis setup. Thanks again.........Kurt
I can't take credit...

The 4 things I know about 12th scale cars were all taught to me by Bruce Carbone.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #328
Tech Adept

Come on Nick....you know at least 5 things now...maybe even 6.
SpeedMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #329
Tech Master

Default Hi Bruce.....

did you get my email about how it went with the Rev4 in my first big meeting?

I really hope I don't have to type it all again.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #330
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedMerchant
Come on Nick....you know at least 5 things now...maybe even 6.
Aww shucks, I was being modest

I am shooting for #7 on Tuesday night!

As I sit here working I just watched the 12th Mod A video and I gotta say congrats again. Dumas owned that main start to finish, he is a machine. Jake was looking so damn smooth, there are a few parts where he showed a little rip mid-race and you just knew that Hodge was doomed in the last minute. An amazing show with the 1-2, lots of experience and dedication.

I guess hard work does pay off! (shit)