R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 AM   #271
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

That sounds good, although if you can I would suggest milling down the front steering knuckles (ie shaving the bottom off so you can get some more ride height out of your tires) i dunno if bruce sells them, he used to last spring i think....

Otherwise sounds fine, let me know how it goes on the track.

One thing i have wanted to try if you really need rear grip and have enough steering from the front end, is to slam the roll centers, however i havent run asphalt since the worlds last october so i havent gotten a chance to try it, since on carpet it would lock in the rear end too much.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #272
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklemmo
Are you as fired up as I am for Cleveburgh Ian? Should be a good one! I'll probably be calling on your services for Rev4 setup help. So far I love the car. I'm buying the Crown tomorrow!

How bout Newey going to Redbull? Defiantly a suprise. Hopfully Scott speed can impress enough to move up to the Newey penned team...
Mr. Lemmon, I am all aflitter as usual in regards to the Indoor Champs. Nothing like calling the the 3 AM mod 12th practice session with a fresh Crown and Coke. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!!! I will be happy to assist in any way I can, as will our multitude of incredibly helpful team "drivas", not to mention the man himself, Bruce Carbone. Where will you be warming up this weekend? Pulfer, Doseck and I will be at the Gate.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:48 PM   #273
Tech Master

Come listen to my story about a bearing in my Rev....

Ok I assume some of you may remember my motor can problem a few pages back (bent can) and a new C2 has fixed all that....

What I didn't mention then (because I thought it was the cans fault) was that I have gone through 2 right side axel bearings.

I had figured that the can not running straight had put undue stress on that bearing causing it to need replacing.

But now that I've got everything running straight (last meeting/6 races) I've had to replace it yet again. No matter how much I clean it there is still a gritty feeling so out it goes.

Is this normal for the right side? Arghhhhhhh

Was it wrong of me to relube the new bearings (previous 2) with a light weight oil rather than the grease in the replacemnt which I haven't touched yet?
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:03 PM   #274
Tech Initiate

Hey Ian,

No Gate for me this weekend. I'm visiting my family in Youngstown. Getting away so I don't get burnt out too quickly next week. I'll be at The Gate Monday and Tuesday getting used to a real track with real traction. It's a shame noone allows paragon anymore. That's a whole diferant subject though...

Since this is my first time with a link car on highbite carpet, I may need a bit of advice. Here is my starting setup, let me know if something may need adjusting (everyone's opinion is welcome)...

Rear:
-Blue Side Springs
-10,000 wt lube
-3.5 ride height
-Parma Grey
-Red center spring with Assoc 50wt.

Front:
-Thick washer under front
-Servo flat with turnbucles straight to steering blocks
-.20 springs
-around 1deg camber (keep tires wearing flat...)
-Parma Purple

I've changed the setup a bit, but so far the car has been a dream on a very lowbite non paragon track (Y-City). I'm going to start with the batt in the middle and use it for fine tuning as traction comes up. The main question I have is about the basic adjustments. What will loosining the rear pod do? What will a softer center spring do? Is it the same as setting up a T-plate car? The front end is easy. The same ol, same ol. It's this new rear pod that I'm curious about...

Also, how much preload should I apply to the rear pod? Right now I have it so a spring won't come off during nomal pod movement.

Ian, I'll have you do an official "once over" to car when I see ya. Of course your payment will be a perfectly mixed C & C.

See ya in Cleveburgh!

Lemmon
kklemmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:37 PM   #275
Tech Elite

Kris, set-up looks really good overall. The only thing I'd really change would be to shim the ball studs on the servo saver to get a bit of ackerman in the front-end. It makes the car more aggressive while helping it to carry more cornerspeed. We run a fair amount of ackerman on our cars. As far as the rear pod is concerned, it's much like a T-bar car, only more responsive to tuning, and more sensitive to it as a result. Softer side to side makes the car a bit lazier, stiffer obviously makes it transfer quicker. Blues are always the best starting point. Softer center shock spring gives more rear bite. I NEVER run softer than a blue, and I've been known to go as stiff as a Black. I rarely see a need for the blue spring unless the track is very bumpy. I'll be happy to look over your ride at the Champs. Just look me up.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
Old 11-20-2005, 12:12 AM   #276
Tech Master

Post Well that was interesting.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormperson
That sounds good, although if you can I would suggest milling down the front steering knuckles (ie shaving the bottom off so you can get some more ride height out of your tires) i dunno if bruce sells them, he used to last spring i think....

Otherwise sounds fine, let me know how it goes on the track.

One thing i have wanted to try if you really need rear grip and have enough steering from the front end, is to slam the roll centers, however i havent run asphalt since the worlds last october so i havent gotten a chance to try it, since on carpet it would lock in the rear end too much.

Had 5 races today and this is what happened.....

(take into account that it's on asphalt with no traction additive allowed and the first two races were on what I'd call a cold surface track).....

Race 1: Like driving on Ice.

Race 2: Changed from pink to grey rears was only slightly better results.

Race 3: Changed back to pinks and from the green spring back to the silver this was more like it with the hook and spin gone but now lots of high speed understeer.

Race 4: As above and only about 3 minutes since the last race (just wanted to see if could do two races on one pack running 19T).

This was the best so far BUT I assume the tires may have been too warm from the last race as by the end of it I had lost a chunk of foam out of the brand new set (right down to the rim).

Race 5: Putting the only other pinks I had ready on the back (not 1.90 but 1.83) which resulted in the front and rear being the same diameter the car handled as if it was race 3.

The end.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:47 AM   #277
Tech Elite

Been a while since anybody's been in here.......

guess we're all still celebrating THE ONE TWO FINISH IN MOD AT THE US INDOOR CHAMPS!!!

Congratulations to Mike Dumas, Jacob Pritchard, and of course Bruce Carbone, on a wicked race weekend!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 02:10 PM   #278
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklemmo
Hey Ian,

Since this is my first time with a link car on highbite carpet, I may need a bit of advice. Here is my starting setup, let me know if something may need adjusting (everyone's opinion is welcome)...

Rear:
-Blue Side Springs
-10,000 wt lube
-3.5 ride height
-Parma Grey
-Red center spring with Assoc 50wt.

Front:
-Thick washer under front
-Servo flat with turnbucles straight to steering blocks
-.20 springs
-around 1deg camber (keep tires wearing flat...)
-Parma Purple...

See ya in Cleveburgh!

Lemmon
Hello,

How much would the setup deviate going to a medium bite track?

Thanks
Fast Faisal
Fast Faisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #279
Tech Initiate

I would still consider the Cleveland track high bite this year, but not nearly as much as normal. Maybe Medium-high throughout most of the weekend. I ended up running close to the same setup as shown in my earlier post, the only differances were: .18 springs in front (smooth out the bumps) and white side springs. I was still working on the setup and it was getting better. I was looking for a bit more steering. Unfortunatly I was launched from the track during the second qually and the car was never the same after that. I couldn't keep the tweak consistantand therefore couldn't drive it hard at all. No confidence. Perhaps the most frustrating racing weekend of my life. I'm thinking Magenta fronts and white rears may have been the ticket though. Didn't have time to try them...

I'm sure someone else will have better insight and knowledge on what worked at the champs.
kklemmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #280
Tech Adept

We were struggling as it's been a long time since we have been to a large race. The last time we were in Cleveland the traction was actually far lower than it was this year for sure (pre-sedan).

After a visit to Casa-De-Bruce we finally landed on the right track. Here is what we ran in stock and 19t, the car was awesome in 19t. I really wish I had a nights sleep last week to see what it would do in 8 minutes of not slapping every wall =) I was the suck and boy do I know it....

Front:
Old School
20's Shimmed With No Droop/Preload
2 Thin (.8mm) Castor Washers
Cardstock For Camber
Purples at 1.68ish 1/3 Sauce

Rear:
Batts All The Way Back
Blue Shock Spring With 30wt
Blue Side Springs With NO TWEAK (Screws backed all the way out)
10k Wt OFNA In The Tubes
Greys at 1.75ish Full Sauce
Nick-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:43 PM   #281
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to eforer

I'm looking forward to running the Rev4 at big races. Its obviously a tremendous package. Its the only 12th scale that has made me excited about the class. The link car concept is awesome and Bruce's realization of it is IMHO the best.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #282
Tech Master

HUGE CONGRATS TO BRUCE!! Awesome job this weekend dialing in everyone's rides.

Obviously the TQ and win by Dumas is the highlight. Jake backing up with a strong second is just killer.

My car was the best it has ever been but I ran into 2 rounds of glitching and one round of bad luck. Doesn't make for a great weekend. The snowbirds is coming........

Jeff
Old 12-02-2005, 02:43 AM   #283
Tech Adept

Thanks for the props guys!

I'll get Mike and Jake's set-ups up on the home page within a day or two.

Have a nice weekend.

Take care.-Bruce
SpeedMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:47 AM   #284
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedMerchant
Thanks for the props guys!

I'll get Mike and Jake's set-ups up on the home page within a day or two.

Have a nice weekend.

Take care.-Bruce
Bruce has gone post-crazy

Props to Jeff Brown for laying down the only perfect airborne 360 all week and STICKIN' the landing.

(He obviously hung out with Shawn and I way too much!)
Nick-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:41 AM   #285
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to eforer

Nick your avatar makes me question your relationship with your automobile.