FF01 Vs FF03

Old 02-19-2011, 03:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default FF01 Vs FF03

Hi guys,

I have an FF01 Tamiya which I use regularly.
I am considering buying a new FF03 and retiring the FF01.

My question is, does anyone have both and can compare the 2 to each other, back to back?

I've seen the FF03 thread, but it's 130 pages long and of what I gathered only few of the people there own one.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Get it. The difference is huge and of substance. FF01 is a very cumbersome and inefficient design. The FF03 is as close as can be to the legendary YR-F2 without going the full carbon fibre hog (and has some points where it is superior). I am pretty sure someone is working on making a double deck carbon fiber upgrade for it (not that it's needed).

I would encourage you to get the FF03 PRO too, it's not much more expensive and worth every bit.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Tech Initiate

I looked at the pro but thought it wasn't worth it, as a lot of the mods seem cosmetic and it doesn't come with a body, wheels, tires etc.
So it becomes a lot more expensive by then.

BTW, 3Racing already makes both carbon and graphite upgrades for the FF03.

So, your opinion is that the FF01 in no way comes close to an FF03 in terms of handling?

Thanks for the reply
Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the pro is worth it cuz it comes with the trf shocks.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Spetz
I looked at the pro but thought it wasn't worth it, as a lot of the mods seem cosmetic and it doesn't come with a body, wheels, tires etc.
So it becomes a lot more expensive by then.

BTW, 3Racing already makes both carbon and graphite upgrades for the FF03.

So, your opinion is that the FF01 in no way comes close to an FF03 in terms of handling?

Thanks for the reply
You're wrong. The upgrades are worth it even if you only consider the shocks (I am forgot what else comes in the box). That's about equal to the difference in price between the kits.

If you still have your body off the FF01, it will fit the FF03, and tires you're better off buying some separately, the ones in normal kits are just cheap crap.

I don't trust any of the aftermarket companies (I had bad experiences in the past) and you don't need anything that Tamiya doesn't make already.

Yep, the FF01 is a completely different idea to the FF03. All those cars of the past were just toys really. They didn't hold up to abuse very well, they weren't very performant, and had little tuneability. The recent offerings on the market are built with a different philosophy. If you want a basher, buy the cheap kit. If you want a little more, you can tune it. And if you want to go balls out, get the PRO. The difference may not seem that big, but it is. Tuneability is infinite on the new cars. In the past, you bought the kit and then some bling (at best). Tuning was limited mostly to getting ball bearings and rarely a speed-tuned gearset (too many gears anyway). There was carbon, one way diffs, uni joint driveshafts, etc, but for a platform that was heavy, difficult to upgrade and costly, it didn't make a difference.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:08 AM
Tech Initiate

The difference in price between the normal FF03 and pro version is $65 + lets say $35 for the body.
So for $100 couldn't I get the optional parts?
These are the parts according to Tamiyausa:
# Item 42102 TRF Special Damper (Hard Black Coating) plus Titanium Coated Piston Rods and White Coil Springs (Medium x2, Hard x2)
# Item 51000 Hi-Torque Servo Saver (Black)
# Item 53159 4mm Anodized Aluminum Flange Lock Nuts (Blue)
# Item 53642 5mm Aluminum Ball Connector (Blue)
# Item 54121 Aluminum Horn For Hi-Torque Servo Saver
# Item 54223 FF-03 Aluminum Motor Plate (Blue)
# Aluminum Turnbuckle Shafts (Blue)
# 5mm Adjuster (Gray)

And to me it seems that the only "important" parts are the turnbuckles and the TRF dampers, and maybe the motor plate. This is less than $100 I think, isn't it?

What benefit is the hi torque servo saver?

Sorry guys for being so pedantic but I'm just trying to see the best bang for buck option.
Also, any other worthwhile mods? I have not seen universals for the FF03 yet
Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Anybody?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was thinking the same until I got a second hand pro with a set of new A tires and new body.

When I was comparing, the parts that I feel are the real difference are just the dampers and servo saver.

The hi torque saver helps with keeping the wheels centered as plastic savers have a lot of slop in them.

The rest of the parts are more like bling, base ff03 comes with ball adjusters with hex tie rods but in steel.

MAYBE the slightly thicker motor mount with milled heatsinks in the pro help with better cooling. Thats it.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Initiate

So then the additional $100 overall seems not worth it?
$50 for TRF dampers, and $50 left over for any other mods

I've never had the chance to compare TRF dampers to the CVA ones. Do they make a big difference in handling in terms of bashing around?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The CVA shocks should be enough for bashing as they're oil dampers too. Get the basic kit if youre using it for bashing.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:07 AM
Tech Regular

If you want it to race at TC level the cheapest way to get going with it would be to buy the kit with body and then get the TRF dampers and other bits. The plastic in both kits is the same i.e. the PRO does not have carbon reinforced plastic bits.

Universals are a must and consider the ali diff outdrives.
Ali blue motor plate and DF03 heatsink bars help keep things cool.
Sway bars also help with the handling but if your stock kit handles fine then no need.

These are the basic option parts that would aid performance/handling. Next you could look at the ali spur gear holder (don't see much difference between the plastic and this!) and other option/bling parts!