Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
More stering in XXX-s please >

More stering in XXX-s please

More stering in XXX-s please

Old 08-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default More stering in XXX-s please

Alright, my xxx-s is getting better after i sorta used flacks setup. My car still pushes bad, especially in 19 turn. I drove a fellow racer xxx-s and it makes my car look like crap. Here is my setup. Basicaly, i need more steering.

servo - JR 590m

Front

diff - yes
spings - white
sway, yes - second stiffest
oil weight - 60
roll center - low
arm spacing - front
camber -1
caster 4 deg blocks
toe + 1
battery placemnt - front

rear

springs - black
oil - 60 wt
sway - no
diff - yes
roll center - low
arm spacing - back
hubs - offset with 1 deg blocks ( total rear toe in 3 deg???) is that right?
camber -1

am i missing anything?

Here is what i was gonna try. First of all i think that the jr 590m is just not cutting it. I was gonna upgrade to a KO 2343 digital servo. Also i was gonna take some toe out of the rear and throw in the 6 deg caster blocks up front. Thats all i was gonna do and see how it handled. Right now the car is fast and very stable in the corners, it just pushes midway through the corner. I'd like to set the car up to be a little loose where i can whip the rear end around if I let off the throttle. thanks guys. let me know if you need any more info on my current setup.

-andrew
Old 08-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

A one-way front axle would help you acheive the "let off and whip" feel
Old 08-25-2004, 09:36 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Be good to get rid of that front sway bar and put it in the back also.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: More stering in XXX-s please

Originally posted by PassedByaLosi
Alright, my xxx-s is getting better after i sorta used flacks setup. My car still pushes bad, especially in 19 turn. I drove a fellow racer xxx-s and it makes my car look like crap. Here is my setup. Basicaly, i need more steering.

servo - JR 590m

Front

diff - yes
spings - white
sway, yes - second stiffest
oil weight - 60
roll center - low
arm spacing - front
camber -1
caster 4 deg blocks
toe + 1
battery placemnt - front

rear

springs - black
oil - 60 wt
sway - no
diff - yes
roll center - low
arm spacing - back
hubs - offset with 1 deg blocks ( total rear toe in 3 deg???) is that right?
camber -1

am i missing anything?

Here is what i was gonna try. First of all i think that the jr 590m is just not cutting it. I was gonna upgrade to a KO 2343 digital servo. Also i was gonna take some toe out of the rear and throw in the 6 deg caster blocks up front. Thats all i was gonna do and see how it handled. Right now the car is fast and very stable in the corners, it just pushes midway through the corner. I'd like to set the car up to be a little loose where i can whip the rear end around if I let off the throttle. thanks guys. let me know if you need any more info on my current setup.

-andrew
What surface is this on?

Last edited by Cardboard; 08-25-2004 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Sounds like rubber tires on carpet... might want to go with a 1 way.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Take the swaybar off and put 0 degree hubs on the back. You can also try standing your rear shocks up( putting the top of your shocks in the outside hole). That should make it rotate around the corners better.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:29 AM
Tech Initiate

What tyres do you use ?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:26 AM
Tech Elite

I guess that was my question after reading is what surface? what tires. so far in my venture on carpet w rubber tires running stock I have found the 0 deg regular hub to be the best and the offset hub for foam tires but I'm not a expert if anybody would know Randy would. from what I've seen and read he is a book of knowledge. Thanks Randy you have great advise. I've learned a lot from treading some of your posts.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry! forgot to even say i'm racing on carpet. I am running plaids in the front and double puprles in the back.

So does anyone think i should put a better servo in it?

What about the 6 deg caster up front? Should i try that?

When you say put hte 0 deg blocks back in you mean use the Offset 0's right?

thanks

andrew
Old 08-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Run the 6 degree hubs in front. Try a purple rear tire. Make sure that you have full steering throw right and left. I ran Flacks setup last season minus the front diff and it was awesome. Are you using traction compound?
Old 08-26-2004, 08:07 PM
Tech Rookie

yes, i use paragon and i goop front and back full. I have tried gooping different ways and only half of the back. I am confident the way i apply traction compound isnt affecting my horrible push
Old 08-26-2004, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Everyone on carpet foam tires runs 6* caster blocks, they will make car steer little less going in but more mid to exit. And the softer tires that were suggested too should make it rotate more. The stock hubs for the rear are 0* hubs(which gets you 2* total per side), so less toe in the rear will give less off power steering and more mid to exit steering. All of those things should help you out and after try them out might want to try moving the rear arms forward from full back position by like .060" or .030" to make it steer more middle of the turns. Also the racers car that you drove it'd be good idea to get their setup and also see if they mind showing you what dope and how they apply it to their tires and what compounds they are using.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

I would definetly run the 6 degree blocks, that will give the car much more steering right there. I would also try lighter oil in the front shocks, like 50wt, or maybe even lighter. Take some rear toe out of it too. Like someone already said, run the 0 degree offset blocks. That stuff right there would help a lot. If it still pushes after that, try a small rear sway bar.

As for the new servo, it definetly wouldn't hurt. The 2343 is a ton faster then the 590 so your car would be a lot more responsive.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:53 AM
The Evicerator

Speaking of rear sway bars... Bobby, don't you still have my rear sway bar from the nationals?????

heheh
Old 08-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by Bobby Flack
I would definetly run the 6 degree blocks, that will give the car much more steering right there. I would also try lighter oil in the front shocks, like 50wt, or maybe even lighter. Take some rear toe out of it too. Like someone already said, run the 0 degree offset blocks. That stuff right there would help a lot. If it still pushes after that, try a small rear sway bar.

As for the new servo, it definetly wouldn't hurt. The 2343 is a ton faster then the 590 so your car would be a lot more responsive.

cool bro. yeah i'm on my way right now to pickup the 6 degree blocks and also the 0 offset rears. Bobby, just curious what servo u runnin?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.