R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Exclamation advice for a newbie please

hi guys and girls,
my names steve from yorkshire,
im new to the forum and never really had a real rc car before, so im looking for a bit of advice for my first buy.
i've decided to go for an electric, as from seeing my brother get frustrated on so many occasions with his nitro car, i dont want that kind of hassle.
im looking for a kit that i can build myself but on a quite easily level as im not very familiar with electronics etc, and also something i can customise and give my own look to. id like something fast but not too fast for a newbie, which can then be upgraded to go faster,(i dont know if you can change the motors for faster ones etc)

all advice and critisism will be appreciated,

steve
corsab2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My personal advice would be to go with the following:

tamiya ta-05 or 417 depending on your price range
tekin rs esc with 17.5t trinity duo3 motor
futaba 9551 servo
spectrum dx3r/s radio system
thunder power 5300mah 65c 2s lipo
sweep tires
protoform ltc-r body

If you would want to spend the extra 10 bucks or so you could get one of the new thunder power motors or a novak ballistic, both have changeable stators so you dont have to spend 80 bucks on a brand new motor to go faster. The tekin rs with the duo3 motor should be fast enough once you put boost and turbo on it, Hope this helps
Old 02-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Default what class

You dont mention what class you are interested in, 1/12th 1/10th racing indoors or out doors and BUDGET all info needed before advising.
Is Yorkshire in Uk. Have you got a local club what do they race there. Stockbridge in Sheffield is a good club , Ardent another, going the other direction Teeside and Birtley.
Any info please PM me.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i think 1/12 especially pan car might be too difficult for a beginner.

+1 on a tamiya ta05 v2. tamiya has nice instructions and there are a lot of hop ups.

unfortunately im not sure if there are a lot of mid level kits out there. be careful of some of the entry level stuff like a tamiya tt01 or hpi sprint 2 and such. if you do get serious into racing you might find yourself getting limited by your chassis where as mid level kits like a ta05, tb03 or hot bodies cyclone have a more competitive range. or how about trying a mini like the tamiya m05 pro or m06 pro. fun lil buggers. tamiya even has the ff03 which is a fwd touring car. that's fun too.
platypus_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Steve, I recently started racing myself. The best advice is to go along to your local club find out what most of the guys are running and go with the same. That way you won't be stuck for spare parts or advice on how to set it all up. This has been my experience.
David Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Home View Post
Steve, I recently started racing myself. The best advice is to go along to your local club find out what most of the guys are running and go with the same. That way you won't be stuck for spare parts or advice on how to set it all up. This has been my experience.
that's also really good advice. it could be a bit pricier but it would be countered by the experienced racers being able to help you with a car they are also familiar with.
platypus_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Tech Adept

maybee he is not looking into racing just a basher ?
rufazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Home View Post
+1 Best advice you will get! I just got back into rc racing about a year ago and most of the guys I race with run T3's so that is what I went with.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote