R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-25-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default superbrain 959

i have a couple of questions about it, i have had it for a month now and its a great charger but i havent figured out how to understand the time remianing feature? it says crazy stuff like 9.55 when the battery is done? maybe i'm not reading it right, do i look at the whole set of numbers to figure out time left or do i only look at the numbers behind the decimal?
and can i get a 12v car adapter for it to charge my batterys from the car at the local parking lot?
kh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:13 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

I have a 959 and dont worry about the time. What your talking about is the volts its charging at. It should finishing charging around 10.5 volts. To make it get up to that you need to change the milli amps. it should be at 30 but to make it charge a little longer and make the battery wormer charge it at about 35-40 milli volts. just charge the batteries at 4.5 amps too.
and yes you can get a 12V you just run the alligater clips on the charger on to you car battery. And after a few minutes restart your car so it wont drain the car battery down.

If you need more info ill help you. I've had this thing for 3 years now so im the guy to ask.

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Cardboard

Quote:
Originally posted by TL_XXX-S_racer
It should finishing charging around 10.5 volts.
The optimum is 9.5v, any higher than that and it means the battery has excessive internal resistance.
Cardboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:47 PM   #4
Tech Regular

i should really charge them at 4.5 amps!? i charge them at amps now, what the advantage of useing higher ampage?
i use team orion 3000mah ni-mh
Old 08-26-2004, 09:33 AM   #5

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Higher amperage typically results in a higher peak and a little more punch, plus less charge time. I've found if I cycle my packs at the highest amperage charge I can I end up with stronger packs.

When you scroll through and see the time, that's not time remaining but time elapsed. It tells you how long your pack has taken to charge.

..and I've also found the charger will shut down at around 9.5v on a good pack.

That charger is good at auto sensing the proper peak for the pack, but if the pack has not been cycled well it may be off. If your finding your packs are too cold when they are done, adjust the peak up, if they are too hot, adjust it down a little. If you have not adjusted the peak voltage and you scroll through, to it the charger is not peaking at whatever it says on the screen. It does not display the "auto sense" peak voltage. (it says that in the instruction manual)

Mine was a little out of whack until I cycled my packs several times, now it seems dialed and charges the packs just right without me having to change the peak voltage.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
Tech Regular

how do i cycle a pack? i just charge them and run them and then let them cool for like 2 hours and charge them again and....
is that cycling?
Old 08-26-2004, 07:40 PM   #7

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ideally you discharge them down to 0.9v per cell (5.4v) at 20 or 30A discharge. You can do it in car but really the only accurate way is to use a discharger. You can make one easy enough, or you can buy preassembled ones that are even automatic.

I use just a string of light bulbs and a voltmeter myself, very manual, very cheap. I was not having very good performance overall with my packs so I charged them, discharged them at 20A until the pack reached 5.4V, and then recharged. I waited until the pack was fully cooled between cycles and I did this about 3 or 4 times per pack. Each time recording the amount of time it took for the pack to charge, and for it to discharge.

Doing this I gained about 30 seconds per pack, basically bringing them up to their full potential. I noticed the packs charge smoother now without false peaking and they also are more consistant and even during a race. I also know which packs are my weakest to strongest so I can save the best pack for the main.

Here are some good links that will give you a lot of info ..

On discharging..
http://www.balakracing.com/discharging.htm

Home made discharger..
http://www.balakracing.com/bulbdischarger.htm

Don't use a bulb discharger without either a voltmeter, or one of the relay style shut offs. You don't want to fully discharge your packs until the lights dim.

Also check out that guys site, it has a lot of good info on batteries, etc.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote