Wiki Posts
Search

Battery Tape

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Battery Tape

Never taped lipos before, what is the best tape, method? I have a cup racer and want to use full size lipos.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Use a tape with fiberglass strands in it to prevent breaking in impacts, such as these: http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...p+tape&x=0&y=0

I've seen guys use duct tape and gorilla tape, but a good "battery" strapping tape will be thinner [so it doesn't drag the track], and more resistant to cutting on the chassis in an impact.

Speaking of which, lightly sand/file the chassis edges that the tape will be going around so there's no sharp edge to help the tape get cut.

After that, cut off a section of tape long enough to reach around the chassis and battery, 2 1/2 times the length of the battery is a good starting length, you can fine tune it with experience later. Route the tape through the chassis slots, across the bottom of the chassis [neatness counts, avoid creases and wrinkles, you want it laying flat on the bottom], with equal "tabs" left on the top side.

Then, put the battery in place, and wrap one end of the tape over the battery and stick it down. If it looks like it might touch the other end of the battery and get stuck in the other free end of tape, trim it back to avoid that, makes battery removal later a bit easier. Strap the battery in snugly, but don't try to put as much tension on the tape as you can possibly get. Before you stick the other free end of the tape down, I like to fold a small pull tab at the end of the tape, again to make battery removal easier.

That's pretty much it. It isn't rocket science.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I am sure it will help more than just me. Do you reuse the tape or re-tape each time the battery comes out?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The top racing (slion) tape delaminates easily from the plastic backing from personal experience, even when peeling a strip from the roll itself. I was told the tape carried by nexus racing to be a good alternative but haven't tried it yet myself.

Usually a strip of tape will last me a whole day of racing. Just replace it when the sticky part is dusty.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

It depends on how the tape looks, how dirty the car/tape gets from track conditions [on the exposed adhesive sections], and how often you remove/change batteries.

All that said, I'll reuse the tape 3-4 times before I change it. Obviously, if there's any tearing where the tape passes back up through the chassis, or dirt is keeping the tape from sticking to the battery everywhere it should be, I'll change it out sooner.

Also, if you're prone to hitting things hard and often [like I am from time to time ], you can usually fit a second strip of tape through the chassis slots to secure the battery with about 1/2 tape width over lap for a little extra insurance against the battery coming loose.

Close fitting lipo stops will also alleviate some strain on the tape, if you have that option.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rc_square24
The top racing (slion) tape delaminates easily from the plastic backing from personal experience, even when peeling a strip from the roll itself. I was told the tape carried by nexus racing to be a good alternative but haven't tried it yet myself.
Good to know, I haven't used the TOP tape. A roll lasts a pretty good while usually, so I don't change brands often.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

This might be a little over the top, but I also put small pieces of double-sided tape on the bottom of my more expensive Lipo's just to make sure they also don't slide out during impact in the case that the tape has failed completely (Only happened once, but that was an expensive piece of kit getting run over by the rest of the field).
Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use the Hudy tape. $25 a roll and worth every penny. I use the same piece for 3 nights of racing.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by clittle
This might be a little over the top, but I also put small pieces of double-sided tape on the bottom of my more expensive Lipo's just to make sure they also don't slide out during impact in the case that the tape has failed completely (Only happened once, but that was an expensive piece of kit getting run over by the rest of the field).
No, not entirely over the top, I do it too.

If you do this, use SMALL pieces at each end of the pack, or you can run into some real issues removing the battery.

On that note, I use nothing but the Parma Pro Servo tape, it holds like crazy, yet removes cleanly from the chassis and components.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Timbulb
I use the Hudy tape. $25 a roll and worth every penny. I use the same piece for 3 nights of racing.
I don't remember what brand it is, but I've got some $7 a roll tape that I haven't changed in 8 weeks. I don't pull the pack from the car very often.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The best tape is 3M 890. It is extremely difficult to find in small quantities (lots of places will sell 72 rolls of it). I bought 2 rolls 4 years ago and just finished my first roll. A single piece can be reused all weekend. The tape has 600 psi of tensile strength. Normal strapping tape is about 150 psi. It comes in black as well.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc_square24

Usually a strip of tape will last me a whole day of racing. Just replace it when the sticky part is dusty.
on the ends of the tape i fold over like a little flap i can grip. when i do that the tape doesn't come apart like you speak of. my roll of top racing tape has served me well.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
I don't remember what brand it is, but I've got some $7 a roll tape that I haven't changed in 8 weeks. I don't pull the pack from the car very often.
Every track I race at requires the use of a lipo charging sack so I pull the battery out after every heat, and the Hudy tape still lasts me three race days.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by platypus_s13
on the ends of the tape i fold over like a little flap i can grip. when i do that the tape doesn't come apart like you speak of. my roll of top racing tape has served me well.
Ditto that. My roll of TOP/Sliontec tape has been in my pitbag for almost 4 years now! Still got a good year's worth of tape left on it.

I change it before the finals for safety, but I can't say it has ever come unstuck. Delaminating is not an issue if you fold over a tab to keep the roll ready to use.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Timbulb
Every track I race at requires the use of a lipo charging sack so I pull the battery out after every heat, and the Hudy tape still lasts me three race days.
If I pull the battery every heat, I've gotten almost 2 race days from my tape, so congrats, you have superior battery tape compared to what I use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.