R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-25-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
mxs
Tech Adept

Default Shottky diode, what kind? Cylindrical...

Hi guys,

I need your opinion on a shottky diode for the motor terminals. I've read all the posts regarding that issue, but couldn't find answer for my question.

My LHS doesn't carry them so I went to electronic parts store, knowing that I need cylindrical shottky diode, min 35V/8A. Well the closest one in cylindrical version was only 3A so that wouldn't cut it. I went to another store and they did have one at 60V/10A which looked o.k. to me, but it is not cylindrical version, but more like IC type ..... The packaging reads "Si, Schottky barrier Rectifier...". Is that good for our application or I should rather stay away from that?

Here's a link showing the part:
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/6000to6099/pdf/nte6080.pdf

Thanks a lot for your help.
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
Suspended

You can use the cylindrical type if you are going to put it on the motor. They are usually rated around 35 volts/8 amps. What I did was buy the Novak Super Schottky harness for the GT7 from Tower Hobbies for $10. It has a rating of 25 amps, which is good enough for just about any motor. It can be used inline with the supplied wire (14 gauge), but I soldered mine inline about 1 inch from the motor. I like to use 12 gauge wire for my speedos. It works great and I don't have to re-solder the diode if I service or change motors. Hope this helps!
tmeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

www.digikey.com

schottky diode 40v 9A

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:48 AM   #4
Tech Addict

I use 1 amp schottky diode! Soldered to the motor. No problems. The amp rating is for constant current, the diode can withstand lot more for very short time. The way we use Schottky diodes they never see constant current.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:07 AM   #5
mxs
Tech Adept

Thanks all of you for your inputs.

andsetinn - that's what I was hoping to hear from somebody. I suppose you run GT7. I can pick up 3A in the cylindrical version so that's what I am gonna do. I am only wondering why Novak goes with such overkill 25Amps, maybe for some extremely low turn motors and very high discharge batteries they want to be covered. I would buy the one they make, but I would have to order it (Canada), plus it's another bunch of wires and my car (1/12 T1 Mini) is very demanding on free space.

Thanks again
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:22 AM   #6
Suspended

If you were to use the Novak diode you don't have to use the wires that come with it. I was going to use it like that, but it has 14 gauge wires and I like to use 12 gauge. I simply unsoldered the diode (which is on a board) and soldered it on my existing wires 1 inch from the motor. It is better to have a diode with a higher amperage rating rather than a lower one. It is used to absorb and re-circulate the excess current created by a motor when it is freewheeling. The higher the rating the less of a chance of ESC damage. Tekin used to use diodes rated as high as 64 amps, which were built-in. There must be a reason for it.
tmeeks is offline   Reply With Quote