R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default 21.5 Motor differences?

Hi Guys,

I'm currently trying to decide what 21.5 brushless motor to purchase, I'll be using it with a Speed Passion 2.1 Pro Stock.

Is there a real difference between different branded motors? If so, what?

Also, what FDR is a good starting point? I've been told to start @ a FDR of 5.0

What motor temps should I be aiming for ?

Thanks in advance for any info.

John.
[[john]] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Company Representative

There should be very little actual performance difference among the 21.5T sensored motors from different manufacturers. Our motors are differentiated from other brands because they were designed to be completely rebuildable by our customers. This means that the motors can be repaired instantly and never need to be returned for service.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have run the Tekin, LRP X12, and Murfdogg 21.5

I'd say the best powerband/performance for me was the x12. They are all pretty close but to me the LRP x12 just has that little bit more pull all around.
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

i run a Ballistic. In my TC6 had it geared at like 3.35... good temps.
Logi Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What application will it be used for?

Touring Car? Boosted or non? 5 would be an alright FDR for boosted, but would be way under geared with zero timing.

Most guys around here use DUO3 motors in the 21.5 class. Actually, most use a duo3 in every class, myself included now.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Our motors are differentiated from other brands because they were designed to be completely rebuildable by our customers. This means that the motors can be repaired instantly and never need to be returned for service.
Wow, that sounds like darn near every other motor on the market since the days of rebuildable 27T brushed motors! You keep cutting/pasting that comment from the advertising literature like Novak is the ONLY one who has ever made a rebuildable motor, or ever will, much the way rabbits reproduce (vigorously and all over the place). News flash, they're all basically completely rebuildable today! The only real exceptions on the market and in general use are silver can and the sealed SP motors.

To the OP, will you be running with dynamic timing (boost/turbo) or limited timing? Touring car? Some motors tolerate timing/boost better than others, and each has a slightly different temp band as a sweet spot. To complicate matters, different ESCs run the various motors slightly differently, too, enough to effect overall temps.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Graupner if its legal, although it isn't legal in many places. It'll be a bit of an unfair advantage if you can use one.

Donny Racing - http://donnyracing.yolasite.com/forum.php

Poweeeeerrrrr!
housey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Wow, that sounds like darn near every other motor on the market since the days of rebuildable 27T brushed motors! You keep cutting/pasting that comment from the advertising literature like Novak is the ONLY one who has ever made a rebuildable motor, or ever will, much the way rabbits reproduce (vigorously and all over the place). News flash, they're all basically completely rebuildable today! The only real exceptions on the market and in general use are silver can and the sealed SP motors.

To the OP, will you be running with dynamic timing (boost/turbo) or limited timing? Touring car? Some motors tolerate timing/boost better than others, and each has a slightly different temp band as a sweet spot. To complicate matters, different ESCs run the various motors slightly differently, too, enough to effect overall temps.
calm down, your missing the point,

I have a Speedpassion motor, can I "rebuild" it no, if I burn it up, I have to buy a new one, I have D3, if I burn it up can i rebuild it, no, I have a lrp can I rebuild it, NO, I have a ballistic, can I rebuild it, YES, unlike the other motors I don't have to replace it to fix it, I only have to buy a new stator for less then half the price of a motor. replacing the rotor is NOT rebuilding it.

what other motor can I change from a 17.5 to the wind of my choice for 35 bucks,..... still waiting......and waiting... thats right NONE

i guess if Novak stated , "after you destroy your motor, you can fix ours the cheapest" I then there would be no confusion. have a nice day
Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post

This clown's tactics on here (especially in the Epic/ROAR spec motor thread) have totally turned me away from Novak. I've even decided to stop running VTA due to the BS "novak motors only" rule, despite other companies making 25.5 motors..

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
calm down, your missing the point,

I have a Speedpassion motor, can I "rebuild" it no, if I burn it up, I have to buy a new one, I have D3, if I burn it up can i rebuild it, no, I have a lrp can I rebuild it, NO, I have a ballistic, can I rebuild it, YES, unlike the other motors I don't have to replace it to fix it, I only have to buy a new stator for less then half the price of a motor. replacing the rotor is NOT rebuilding it.

what other motor can I change from a 17.5 to the wind of my choice for 35 bucks,..... still waiting......and waiting... thats right NONE

i guess if Novak stated , "after you destroy your motor, you can fix ours the cheapest" I then there would be no confusion. have a nice day
Actually, you CAN rebuild your D3.. stators, rotors, and sensor boards are all available as replacement parts. Trinity/Epic just doesn't advertise all the the spare parts in their ads (maybe they're a little more confident in their motors than Novak is??? )
Serzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serzoni View Post
This clown's tactics on here (especially in the Epic/ROAR spec motor thread) have totally turned me away from Novak. I've even decided to stop running VTA due to the BS "novak motors only" rule, despite other companies making 25.5 motors..

Actually, you CAN rebuild your D3.. stators, rotors, and sensor boards are all available as replacement parts. Trinity/Epic just doesn't advertise all the the spare parts in their ads (maybe they're a little more confident in their motors than Novak is??? )
ok i concede the point, I just took my d3 apart. I guess replacing the center can section is kinda like replacing just the rotor.

btw, maybe they don't advertise it, cause thier not interested in saving you money like NOVAK
Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The only thing I've ever had to replace on a Trinity motor has been a sensor board.. a $5 replacement. However, I've smoked plenty of the original Novak SS motors (rotors and entire motors). The quality that I saw with the SS motors is why I won't bother dropping any more coin for the Ballistics, "rebuildable" or not.

Interestingly enough, all of the smoked motors went up while using a GTB. Didn't he say on the other thread that you couldn't smoke a motor when using a GTB due to the thermal cutoff? Yeah, well that worked just great..
Serzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
Tech Champion

I'm still waiting on my replacement for my pulse motor, two of them actually. well, actually i gave up on waiting for them. just not going to happen
Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
Tech Champion

I guess we could go back and forth forever, I give, you win, epic is the best motor ever produced and will never be matched. there i said it.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why is this an issue? Novak is just offering what they do for VTA, and racers in general. I love my options to run this or that, but that doesn't mean bash another brand for advertising. I personally like having one brand in spec type racing. Keeps ppl from buying extra stuff everytime something new pops up.

And brand loyalty is bs, if you want to run another motor 25.5, its probably cause you think its faster. The only racers that should care is sponsored guys.

But back to the topic, get a Novak Ballastic and never buy another motor again. Stators maybe
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Sorry Guys, I should have gave a little more info.

I will be running TC & ESC settings are open .

Thanks for the info so far!
[[john]] is offline   Reply With Quote